posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Heart of Gold Sails on...and on....

Well, with Heart of Gold back in action, I knew August is always a
questionable month for sailing with light air common on the LIS for
that month.
Well not this year! In fact this has been one of the sweetest summers
for sailing in a long time. I think we've had just a single day with
calm conditions. Yesterday was blowing 25 knots plus at Execution
rocks, but by around 1:00 it had calmed a bit and we had a great time.
The winds kept many sailors home, but if they'd hung around it became
a perfect day with about 12-16 knots and cool breezes. We caught up to
friends aboard their J24....

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...35s5/Week3.jpg

Sunday didn't look good. Predictions were 5-10 knots and when I
checked the link for Execution rocks it read gusts to 4 knots or
thereabouts. Well, Thomas and I met up with some friends and we set
out for a short daysail in dead calm conditions. A LOT of sailboats
were out. No one could fill a sail. We raised the main and waited 30
minutes...and it started to blow...5 knots...10....and finally gusting
to 13-14 and a nice overcast to keep the sun out our eyes. My buddy
aboard his fast Santana joined us....

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/a...nt=SantMov.flv
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...35s5/Week1.jpg
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...35s5/Week2.jpg

It was interesting to see the boats sailing side by side. Flying a
150%, while we flew a 125%, it was a very even match up. Heart of Gold
had the edge off the wind of course, but I think the Santana has the
upwind edge. Of course Heart of Gold made her good speed with little
fuss. It was a great sailing day and Thomas loves sailing. Few things
rev him up like three little words...."Let's go sailing!"

I everyone is enjoying their boats and a great season! BTW, a new
folding prop has really given Heart of Gold a nice speed increase!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Should have read....

I HOPE everyone is enjoying their boats and a great season!

RB

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. Rob wrote:

[...]

Very nice but, why oh why are you still sailing with your dfenders
whomped up on the rails????
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Very nice but, why oh why are you still sailing with your dfenders
whomped up on the rails????

You're 100% correct! You won't see them again!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
Very nice but, why oh why are you still sailing with your dfenders
whomped up on the rails????

You're 100% correct! You won't see them again!

Guard rails look a bit slack too...

posted to alt.sailing.asa

* Capt. Rob wrote, On 8/19/2007 10:48 PM:
Very nice but, why oh why are you still sailing with your dfenders
whomped up on the rails????

You're 100% correct! You won't see them again!

Nonsense! Leave them on deck, that's where they belong. You're not
racing, people have better things to do then to drag slimy fenders
back and forth.

If you want to do something do make the boat look more seaman-like,
ease the sails so you don't make so much leeway.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 07:36:15 -0400, Jeff wrote:

* Capt. Rob wrote, On 8/19/2007 10:48 PM:
Very nice but, why oh why are you still sailing with your dfenders
whomped up on the rails????

You're 100% correct! You won't see them again!

Nonsense! Leave them on deck, that's where they belong. You're not
racing, people have better things to do then to drag slimy fenders
back and forth.

If you want to do something do make the boat look more seaman-like,
ease the sails so you don't make so much leeway.

Somebody here has some common sense. That snide comment about
fenders it what's going to make me feel good about adding another
Mac 26 to the fleet of sailing watercraft.
Rob, the proper answer was "Kiss my ass."

--Ed Gordon
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Jeff wrote:
* Capt. Rob wrote, On 8/19/2007 10:48 PM:

Very nice but, why oh why are you still sailing with your dfenders
whomped up on the rails????

You're 100% correct! You won't see them again!

Nonsense! Leave them on deck, that's where they belong. You're not
racing, people have better things to do then to drag slimy fenders back
and forth.

If you want to do something do make the boat look more seaman-like, ease
the sails so you don't make so much leeway.

...and if someone has to go to the foredeck, there be big blue fneders in
the way..they're a hazard...better to just let them hang than to have
them on a thruway to the foredeck...
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Vic Smith wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 07:36:15 -0400, Jeff wrote:

* Capt. Rob wrote, On 8/19/2007 10:48 PM:

Very nice but, why oh why are you still sailing with your dfenders
whomped up on the rails????

You're 100% correct! You won't see them again!

Nonsense! Leave them on deck, that's where they belong. You're not
racing, people have better things to do then to drag slimy fenders
back and forth.

If you want to do something do make the boat look more seaman-like,
ease the sails so you don't make so much leeway.

Somebody here has some common sense. That snide comment about
fenders it what's going to make me feel good about adding another
Mac 26 to the fleet of sailing watercraft.
Rob, the proper answer was "Kiss my ass."

--Ed Gordon

Since you sail a Mac and could care less ablout safety, that, of course,
would be yur reply....Rob invites all kinds of people sailing with him,
most very inexperienced...navigating around obstacles on the deck is a
hazradous situation....
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Katy is correct. The fenders are crowding the side decks and are
unsighlty. The starboard locker is huge with room for 30 big fenders.
As for Jeff's comment....
Could Jeff know anything at all about sail trim? Doesn't sound like
it. No surprise there. I wonder what course he thinks we were on and
what mark we were making for. I wonder if he worked out from the
camera angle that I'm behind the wheel? Sheeted in and 40%, but Jeff
can't reason out why?
Again, no surprise.

More pics and vids coming while Jeff waits for his next sailing break!

RB
35s5
NY

Heart of Gold and the Girls of Gold! Capt. Rob ASA 2 June 15th 07 11:19 PM
Heart of Gold....more pics Capt. Rob ASA 32 October 8th 06 01:20 AM
Heart of Gold Sailing Capt. Rob ASA 9 October 4th 06 02:51 AM
Heart of Gold Has some Fun! Capt. Rob ASA 2 August 27th 06 03:57 PM
Heart of Gold Joe ASA 2 March 8th 06 02:23 AM