posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Heart of Gold Sailing

Superb sailing day, folks! Winds were fresh with occasional white caps,
then it fell off a bit and we had a nice ride, making seven and a half
knots and touching eight on occasion...and really cooking. My new sails
are in the works now, though we won't see them until Spring.
Here's a clip. My buddy and veteran racer, Bob L. is at the helm having
a pretty good time! He got a good half knot more out Heart of Gold than
I typically would several times.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d0nSgsgOApg

Sailing on a Cal 29 tomorrow afternoon, which is a pretty fast and fun
boat as well!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Capt. Rob wrote:
Superb sailing day, folks! Winds were fresh with occasional white caps,
then it fell off a bit and we had a nice ride, making seven and a half
knots and touching eight on occasion...and really cooking. My new sails
are in the works now, though we won't see them until Spring.
Here's a clip. My buddy and veteran racer, Bob L. is at the helm having
a pretty good time! He got a good half knot more out Heart of Gold than
I typically would several times.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d0nSgsgOApg

Sailing on a Cal 29 tomorrow afternoon, which is a pretty fast and fun
boat as well!

RB
35s5
NY

You should tell Bob L to quit zig zagging, and make sure your new sails
are cut above the handrails. Still looks like a nice sail.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

You should tell Bob L to quit zig zagging, and make sure your new sails

are cut above the handrails. Still looks like a nice sail.

The thing is that when sheeted in, hard on the wind, that sail sits
nearly flush with the deck, as designed for the below deck furler. But
at some points, the lifelines are in the way. The folks at Doyle will
be aboard next week for a quick look at the set and we'll see what will
work best. Looks like the stackpack is a sure-fire bet. Prefer it
greatly over the Dutchman, though that system has less windage when
down. The cool thing is how neat the reefing is with the stackpack.

If you didn't see the vid to windward, here it is. Suzanne has a bad
schedule this week...not much sailing until Thursday I'm afraid. And
I'm hauling the boat in a few weeks...boo hoo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RivCUMzy4xc

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Capt. Rob wrote:
You should tell Bob L to quit zig zagging, and make sure your new sails

are cut above the handrails. Still looks like a nice sail.

The thing is that when sheeted in, hard on the wind, that sail sits
nearly flush with the deck, as designed for the below deck furler. But
at some points, the lifelines are in the way. The folks at Doyle will
be aboard next week for a quick look at the set and we'll see what will
work best. Looks like the stackpack is a sure-fire bet. Prefer it
greatly over the Dutchman, though that system has less windage when
down. The cool thing is how neat the reefing is with the stackpack.

You can get a spacer for the roller furler I'm sure, having a sail rub
the rails is IMO not a good thing.

Yeah I buildt my own version of a stack pack. I love it, I can point to
windward and douse and stack the main and mizzen in 3 min by myself.

You can see them in this picture right before hurricane Rita. The
80-100 kt winds did not affect them in the least.

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/153...63212926nYpZWj

Before it would take two people around 30 min to flake, tieoff, and put
covers on.

If you didn't see the vid to windward, here it is. Suzanne has a bad
schedule this week...not much sailing until Thursday I'm afraid. And
I'm hauling the boat in a few weeks...boo hoo!

Yeah Ill be hauling too. Hauling ass down to Freeport, Port Mansfield,
and all over the bays.

Have to do a bottom job soon so I will be on (shiver the thought) land
for a week or so.

Joe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RivCUMzy4xc

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

New sails are always nice. I'd like to get some new
ones myself, but that will have to wait.

So what are you getting exactly? Dacron? Mylar?

I like the Spectra laminates...

Capt. Rob wrote:

at some points, the lifelines are in the way. The folks at Doyle will
be aboard next week for a quick look at the set and we'll see what will
work best. Looks like the stackpack is a sure-fire bet. Prefer it
greatly over the Dutchman, though that system has less windage when
down. The cool thing is how neat the reefing is with the stackpack.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

New sails are always nice. I'd like to get some new
ones myself, but that will have to wait.

So what are you getting exactly? Dacron? Mylar?

Bart, my Florida sails are so mildewed it's almost funny. No more Mylar
for me, though it would fair better here. I'm going with dacron
cruising sails...nothing fancy, full battons with the Doyle Stackpack
and a new 110%. This pic of our boat (taken with a camera phone!) shows
how big her rig is and hides some mildew!

http://tinyurl.com/rytg6

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. Rob wrote:
Bart, my Florida sails are so mildewed it's almost funny. No more Mylar
for me, though it would fair better here. I'm going with dacron
cruising sails...nothing fancy, full battons with the Doyle Stackpack
and a new 110%.

Many sail boats trade hands over and again and never get a
new suit of sails. When I picked up HOOT it still had sails
from 1978-1980 timeframe. I was glad to find a nearly new
set for that boat.

You are making a wise decision purchasing new sails.
Dacron is not a bad choice. I see you didn't go overboard
on a monster genoa either. That will make the boat much
easier to sail.

Do you have a track system on the boat to go with those
full battens? I've been thinking about getting a Strong Track
system--one more thing on my list of upgrades.

What do you have for nylon sails?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Do you have a track system on the boat to go with those
full battens? I've been thinking about getting a Strong Track
system--one more thing on my list of upgrades.

I'm holding off on the track...though I know how nice it would be. If
it's too hard without, then I'll buy it. Doyle has a system that slides
right in with no fuss. Boy, everyone has a way to take my money with no
fuss.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

What do you have for nylon sails?

I have a new asym chute that the previous owner bought and never flew.
Believe it or not I will fly it for the 1st time next week. I'll post
pics.

RB
35s5
NY

Learning to sail the USA way. ARG ASA 82 March 23rd 06 01:10 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 November 16th 05 05:32 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 February 19th 05 05:32 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 February 5th 05 05:16 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 February 28th 04 09:08 AM