posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Heart of Gold Sails on...and on....

* Capt. Rob wrote, On 8/20/2007 9:44 AM:
As for Jeff's comment....
Could Jeff know anything at all about sail trim?

Are you claiming the sails are trimmed properly?

Doesn't sound like
it. No surprise there. I wonder what course he thinks we were on and
what mark we were making for.

The sails are over-trimmed and the boat is moving sideways. Are you
claiming that what they wanted to do?

I wonder if he worked out from the
camera angle that I'm behind the wheel?

I think that thing is called a tiller, not a wheel.

Sheeted in and 40%, but Jeff
can't reason out why?

Oh, I get it! They're showing how well the boat "points." Here's a
hint: making 30 degrees leeway doesn't really show off the boat at its
best.

Again, no surprise.

More pics and vids coming while Jeff waits for his next sailing break!

That will be in a few days, but I've been out for about 50 days in the
last 8 weeks.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Are you claiming the sails are trimmed properly?

Actually, they are trimmed ultra perfectly, but I've altered course so
I can stand easily and hold my camera for the movies and vids.

The sails are over-trimmed and the boat is moving sideways. Are
you
claiming that what they wanted to do?

I'm claiming nothing. You're the only one here silly enough to judge
sail trim for a course you can't see on a boat you're not on making a
course you don't know about!!! And you look dang foolish for it.

I think that thing is called a tiller, not a wheel.

Wow. Jeff you are really OLD. I'm at the WHEEL. Our 35s5 has a WHEEL.
The 30/30 has a tiller. Jeff, time for you meds.

Oh, I get it!

I'm afraid you don't. Again.

They're showing how well the boat "points."

I think folks on both boats are just having a fun time, Jeff.

Here's a
hint: making 30 degrees leeway doesn't really show off the boat at
its
best.

Hmmm. Our turning mark is 15 degrees off our starboard bow and we made
it without a problem. Of course you can't even see it, nor do you have
a clue about actual course, steady wind direction or much else in the
pics and vids. But it's fun watching you try to make up things to suit
your imaginary points! Good work!

That will be in a few days, but I've been out for about 50 days in
the
last 8 weeks.

I've sailed about 30 days in that time, aboard 5-6 different boats.
And I didn't have to wait until I was 70 or 80 years old to do it. I'm
44, Jeff.
There isn't enough time in your life to catch me, let alone have as
much fun as we are right now. My golden years are NOW and only getting
better. If I end up like you I'll just buy a motor home!

Hoooh ahhhh!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

* Capt. Rob wrote, On 8/20/2007 11:26 AM:
Are you claiming the sails are trimmed properly?

Actually, they are trimmed ultra perfectly, but I've altered course so
I can stand easily and hold my camera for the movies and vids.

The sails are over-trimmed and the boat is moving sideways. Are
you
claiming that what they wanted to do?

I'm claiming nothing. You're the only one here silly enough to judge
sail trim for a course you can't see on a boat you're not on making a
course you don't know about!!! And you look dang foolish for it.

So you're not talking about the boat that you posted pictures of, the
one with the fender on the deck? I assumed your boat was too
horrific to even describe.

I think that thing is called a tiller, not a wheel.

Wow. Jeff you are really OLD. I'm at the WHEEL. Our 35s5 has a WHEEL.
The 30/30 has a tiller. Jeff, time for you meds.

So you're claiming that the 30/30 is over-sheeted in order to slow
down for the dog in front of it? Now that makes sense.

I've sailed about 30 days in that time, aboard 5-6 different boats.
And I didn't have to wait until I was 70 or 80 years old to do it. I'm
44, Jeff.
There isn't enough time in your life to catch me,

Catch you at what? Actually knowing how to sail? Its doubtful that
anyone will ever catch you doing that!
posted to alt.sailing.asa

So you're claiming that the 30/30 is over-sheeted in order to slow
down for the dog in front of it?

The 30/30 is not oversheeted at all. I was talking about the 35s5. You
can't even track this discussion, let alone any course.
This is how everyone knows you have no experience sailing performance
boats. Your comments about sail trim are hilarious. It's like you
expect folks out for a spin on a fast boat should hang on to a
specific course and trim and that winds don't change every minute,
especially sailing to the bridges. That also proves that you probably
only motored in our area! Anyone who claims they can judge true
conditions or course from a few pics and vids is clearlly full of
crap!
Face it, Jeff. Fast monohulls are a mystery to you. You owned slow
tubs before and now you sail a floating radiator.

Like I said....I'm doing more sailing on more boats and I'm WAY
younger than you. When I'm your age I sure hope to be doing more.
Oh...wait...I already am!

Hoooh ahh!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

* Capt. Rob wrote, On 8/20/2007 12:49 PM:
So you're claiming that the 30/30 is over-sheeted in order to slow
down for the dog in front of it?

The 30/30 is not oversheeted at all.

Oh my! Even a beginner should be able to see that. The sail is
stalled and the boat is going sideways. Or are you claiming that's
normal?

I was talking about the 35s5. You
can't even track this discussion, let alone any course.

yah, right. That's why you posted pictures of another boat, so we
wouldn't talk about it.

This is how everyone knows you have no experience sailing performance
boats. Your comments about sail trim are hilarious.

Not as funny as your inability to understand what's wrong.

It's like you
expect folks out for a spin on a fast boat should hang on to a
specific course and trim and that winds don't change every minute,
especially sailing to the bridges. That also proves that you probably
only motored in our area! Anyone who claims they can judge true
conditions or course from a few pics and vids is clearlly full of
crap!

stop! stop! You're embarrassing yourself! Being over sheeted is not
that big of a problem; not understanding what means is truly sad. You
should take some lessons, Bob, before you go sailing for real.

Face it, Jeff. Fast monohulls are a mystery to you. You owned slow
tubs before and now you sail a floating radiator.

Right - I've spent more time racing high performance boats than you've
spent in boats in your life.

Plus - sailing a high performance boat poorly doesn't actually count
as high performance sailing!

And FWIW, my old Nonsuch could hold its own against any of your
previous boats. And maybe someday you'll be able to afford a boat as
fast as mine - if your daddy gives you some more money.

Like I said....I'm doing more sailing on more boats and I'm WAY
younger than you.

What is that supposed to mean? You're a noob, a novice! You still
don't even know how to trim a sail! I did more sailing that you have
by the time I was 20 years old.

When I'm your age I sure hope to be doing more.
Oh...wait...I already am!

rant rant rant. It's so pathetic that you're terrified of going out
overnight, that you can't sail on the ocean because you get seasick,
that you're too embarrassed to race, that you don't even know the
basics of sailing.

And now you're reduced to ranting "I'm better because I'm younger."
What a jackass!

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. **** Head" wrote in message
ups.com...

I've sailed about 30 days in that time,

which adds up to what, about 72 hours...and 23 miles?

Hoo boy!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Ahoy Rob;

Thanks for posting the sailing video.

You are doing better as a director, I liked Lil Thom saying ahoy.

However like your feature film I must say that it lacked the gusto,
the heart felt drama..and infact any since of art for arts sake.

I suggest you study this short film a buddy made with his cell phone
camera and
panasonic cassette player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV2JlPW7_DY
Joe

On Aug 19, 8:29 pm, "Capt. Rob" wrote:
Well, with Heart of Gold back in action, I knew August is always a
questionable month for sailing with light air common on the LIS for
that month.
Well not this year! In fact this has been one of the sweetest summers
for sailing in a long time. I think we've had just a single day with
calm conditions. Yesterday was blowing 25 knots plus at Execution
rocks, but by around 1:00 it had calmed a bit and we had a great time.
The winds kept many sailors home, but if they'd hung around it became
a perfect day with about 12-16 knots and cool breezes. We caught up to
friends aboard their J24....

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...35s5/Week3.jpg

Sunday didn't look good. Predictions were 5-10 knots and when I
checked the link for Execution rocks it read gusts to 4 knots or
thereabouts. Well, Thomas and I met up with some friends and we set
out for a short daysail in dead calm conditions. A LOT of sailboats
were out. No one could fill a sail. We raised the main and waited 30
minutes...and it started to blow...5 knots...10....and finally gusting
to 13-14 and a nice overcast to keep the sun out our eyes. My buddy
aboard his fast Santana joined us....

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/a...35s5/Week2.jpg

It was interesting to see the boats sailing side by side. Flying a
150%, while we flew a 125%, it was a very even match up. Heart of Gold
had the edge off the wind of course, but I think the Santana has the
upwind edge. Of course Heart of Gold made her good speed with little
fuss. It was a great sailing day and Thomas loves sailing. Few things
rev him up like three little words...."Let's go sailing!"

I everyone is enjoying their boats and a great season! BTW, a new
folding prop has really given Heart of Gold a nice speed increase!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:
If you want to do something do make the boat look more

seaman-like, ease
the sails so you don't make so much leeway.

..and if someone has to go to the foredeck, there be big

blue fneders in
the way..they're a hazard...better to just let them hang

than to have
them on a thruway to the foredeck...

very lubbery to say the least...dangerous at worse.

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

Jeff wrote:

If you want to do something do make the boat look more

seaman-like, ease

the sails so you don't make so much leeway.

..and if someone has to go to the foredeck, there be big

blue fneders in

the way..they're a hazard...better to just let them hang

than to have

them on a thruway to the foredeck...

very lubbery to say the least...dangerous at worse.

SBV

he's already repented so just let it alone...
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
[...]

I kinda doubt that was a cell phone and cassette but it was a great
video...do you know what the music in the soundtrack is?

Heart of Gold and the Girls of Gold! Capt. Rob ASA 2 June 15th 07 11:19 PM
Heart of Gold....more pics Capt. Rob ASA 32 October 8th 06 01:20 AM
Heart of Gold Sailing Capt. Rob ASA 9 October 4th 06 02:51 AM
Heart of Gold Has some Fun! Capt. Rob ASA 2 August 27th 06 03:57 PM
Heart of Gold Joe ASA 2 March 8th 06 01:23 AM