posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob Capt. Rob is offline

Default Heart of Gold Sails on...and on....

Well, with Heart of Gold back in action, I knew August is always a
questionable month for sailing with light air common on the LIS for
that month.
Well not this year! In fact this has been one of the sweetest summers
for sailing in a long time. I think we've had just a single day with
calm conditions. Yesterday was blowing 25 knots plus at Execution
rocks, but by around 1:00 it had calmed a bit and we had a great time.
The winds kept many sailors home, but if they'd hung around it became
a perfect day with about 12-16 knots and cool breezes. We caught up to
friends aboard their J24....

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...35s5/Week3.jpg

Sunday didn't look good. Predictions were 5-10 knots and when I
checked the link for Execution rocks it read gusts to 4 knots or
thereabouts. Well, Thomas and I met up with some friends and we set
out for a short daysail in dead calm conditions. A LOT of sailboats
were out. No one could fill a sail. We raised the main and waited 30
minutes...and it started to blow...5 knots...10....and finally gusting
to 13-14 and a nice overcast to keep the sun out our eyes. My buddy
aboard his fast Santana joined us....

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/a...nt=SantMov.flv
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...35s5/Week1.jpg
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...35s5/Week2.jpg

It was interesting to see the boats sailing side by side. Flying a
150%, while we flew a 125%, it was a very even match up. Heart of Gold
had the edge off the wind of course, but I think the Santana has the
upwind edge. Of course Heart of Gold made her good speed with little
fuss. It was a great sailing day and Thomas loves sailing. Few things
rev him up like three little words...."Let's go sailing!"

I everyone is enjoying their boats and a great season! BTW, a new
folding prop has really given Heart of Gold a nice speed increase!

RB
35s5
NY