Bobsprit

Default Yacht Clubs--a mistake

But if you've ever been touched by the spirit, you know it's not that
simple. Faith is the opposite of blind trust.

Faith IS blind trust, regardless of your other comments. You've never been
touched by a spirit, though you may actually believe that.
It's easy to see why religion kills so many.

RB
Donal

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
But if you've ever been touched by the spirit, you know it's not that
simple. Faith is the opposite of blind trust.

Faith IS blind trust, regardless of your other comments.

Rubbish!!

How did the Universe come into existence?

Faith is the only option that is available to the enquiring mind.

If your small mind is capable of considering the origins of the Universe,
then you will realise that there are only three options.

1) God created it.
2) It is endlessly expanding and contracting
3) It was created in a single event which resulted in equal amounts of
"matter" and "anti-matter".

Which option do you believe in?

Let me guess! You are sooooo shallow that you don't subscribe to any of the
above theories???

Regards

Donal

Bobsprit

How did the Universe come into existence?

Absence of understanding does not invite fairy tales, or at least it shouldn't.

RB
Wally

Donal wrote:

How did the Universe come into existence?

I have never heard any answer to that question that isn't predicated on
assumption.

Faith is the only option that is available to the enquiring mind.

Agreed - faith that whatever assumptions one makes are true.

If your small mind is capable of considering the origins of the
Universe, then you will realise that there are only three options.

1) God created it.

Not only does this presuppose that there was a god to do the creating, it
begs the quesiton of how he came into existence. If one is to claim that he
has always existed, then Occam's Razor would suggest that there is no need
to invoke a creator that has always existed, when a universe that has always
existed will do just as well.

2) It is endlessly expanding and contracting

Maybe, maybe not.

3) It was created in a single event which resulted in equal amounts of
"matter" and "anti-matter".

Maybe, maybe not.

Which option do you believe in?

I'm not sure the question can be answered. By "answered", I mean in terms
that are generally acceptable - self-evidently true or capable of being
observed or experienced. Compare "the sun is warm" with "god made the
universe".

Let me guess! You are sooooo shallow that you don't subscribe to any
of the above theories???

Tsk, tsk.

--
Wally
www.forthsailing.com

Bobsprit

Let me guess! You are sooooo shallow that you don't subscribe to any
of the above theories???

Tsk, tsk.

Wally, I'm impressed. Quite a reasonable response, but faith does not allow
reason.

RB
Navigator

Wally wrote:
Donal wrote:

How did the Universe come into existence?

I have never heard any answer to that question that isn't predicated on
assumption.

Faith is the only option that is available to the enquiring mind.

Agreed - faith that whatever assumptions one makes are true.

If your small mind is capable of considering the origins of the
Universe, then you will realise that there are only three options.

1) God created it.

Not only does this presuppose that there was a god to do the creating, it
begs the quesiton of how he came into existence. If one is to claim that he
has always existed, then Occam's Razor would suggest that there is no need
to invoke a creator that has always existed, when a universe that has always
existed will do just as well.

If the universe contains everything then God is a self made
man/woman/thing. A bit like the american dream really.

Cheers

Donal

"Wally" wrote in message
I'm not sure the question can be answered. By "answered", I mean in terms
that are generally acceptable - self-evidently true or capable of being
observed or experienced.

I believe that one of my three options is currently "in vogue" with the
scienticic community. Furthermore, scientists will produce evidence, backed
up by observation, to prove that their theory is correct. So I think that
the question *can* be answered in terms that are generally acceptable.

Regards

Donal

Wally

Donal wrote:

I believe that one of my three options is currently "in vogue" with
the scienticic community.

Is that the same as saying that those hypotheses that don't agree with the
fashionable one have been falsified?

Furthermore, scientists will produce
evidence, backed up by observation, to prove that their theory is
correct.

Are there other scientists that will produce different evidence to prove
that *their* theory is correct?

So I think that the question *can* be answered in terms
that are generally acceptable.

You can tell someone that the sun is warm, and prove it by standing them in
the sun to feel its warmth. If I tell somone that god made the universe, how
do I show him or make him experience it? Ditto for a big bang or a cyclical
thing that has always been.

The universe is big.

Really big.

Honest, I'm not kidding.

We're sitting here on our speck of molten iron, throwing radio stations into
space, while we shoot around in something that is flabbergastingly huge. I'm
a little skeptical of the notion that we've acquired enough data to go
making proclamations of how it all began, or whether it did or didn't begin
at all.

--
Wally
www.forthsailing.com

Navigator

Wally wrote:

Donal wrote:

[...]

Well of course it doesn't exist. We all know that.

Cheers

2004 Melbourne-King Island Yacht Race - Results and Race Report ORCV Rudder Cup General 0 March 9th 04 03:55 AM
Formalities for Joint Ownership Yacht in Croatia Kris General 0 December 9th 03 12:16 AM
Wanted, kayaking clubs Hywel UK Paddle 0 November 25th 03 12:23 AM
can we get him to post here? Scott Vernon ASA 43 August 29th 03 12:05 PM
Abandoned yacht - Bobsprit's twin brother??? Peter Wiley ASA 2 July 16th 03 05:03 AM