Navigator

Default Yacht Clubs--a mistake

DSK wrote:

Beauregard wrote:

I belong to a yacht club, and find it to be an excellent way for people
who do not or cannot own lakeside property to enjoy the water and
boating. My club requires three sponsors, and a guest membership period
in order for the applicant and the membership to make sure they are
comfortable with each other.

And a bottle of Jack Daniels for the drive home.

... Our membership includes a butcher, a few
doctors, school teachers, college professors, a smattering of yankees,
an English couple, a Frenchman, and at least one athiest.

Dammit, you all let in Yankees?!? Where's your sense of pride! But at
least you don't let in lawyers...

Ever checked out the entry fee and annual fees of the SanDiego yacht club???

Cheers

Donal

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
But if you've ever been touched by the spirit, you know it's not that
simple. Faith is the opposite of blind trust.

Faith IS blind trust, regardless of your other comments.

Rubbish!!

How did the Universe come into existence?

Faith is the only option that is available to the enquiring mind.

If your small mind is capable of considering the origins of the Universe,
then you will realise that there are only three options.

1) God created it.
2) It is endlessly expanding and contracting
3) It was created in a single event which resulted in equal amounts of
"matter" and "anti-matter".

Which option do you believe in?

Let me guess! You are sooooo shallow that you don't subscribe to any of the
above theories???

Regards

Donal

Navigator

OzOne wrote:

On Thu, 20 May 2004 10:10:39 +1200, Navigator
scribbled thusly:

Ever checked out the entry fee and annual fees of the SanDiego yacht club???

Cheers

Oh yeah!
Raced out of there many years ago.
The older you get, the more you pay in membership.
I like the bit where you pay at the start of the year for the food and
beverages you'll consume in the coming year...must pay the accountants
a fortune to come up with that one :-)

They've simplified to a monthly minimum charge now. I couild not beleive
the charges and it seemed so silly when their club house facilities are
not a patch on ours. Anyway I'm allowed to use their facilities for free
Heheh...

Cheers

Bobsprit

How did the Universe come into existence?

Absence of understanding does not invite fairy tales, or at least it shouldn't.

RB

Bobsprit

Faith is the only option that is available to the enquiring mind.

Faith is the refuge for the ignorant. It dissallows speculation and free
thought. Because of faith, the 9/11 terrorists could not even imagine that they
were doing something evil.
The fundmental operational element of faith was and always will be ignorance.
People once believed with all certainly that the world was flat, just as you
believe in a mythical being, just as some folks believe in ghosts.

RB
Bobsprit

If your small mind is capable of considering the origins of the Universe,

Faith does not allow for "consideration." Being agnostic is the only open
minded system since it invites all theories.
You were told there was a god. Seemed like a fine idea. You were taught about
faith. You might have been taught we were ruled by giant Pumpkins.
You need to do some basic reading on the origins of religion and social
conditioning.

RB
Wally

Donal wrote:

How did the Universe come into existence?

I have never heard any answer to that question that isn't predicated on
assumption.

Faith is the only option that is available to the enquiring mind.

Agreed - faith that whatever assumptions one makes are true.

If your small mind is capable of considering the origins of the
Universe, then you will realise that there are only three options.

1) God created it.

Not only does this presuppose that there was a god to do the creating, it
begs the quesiton of how he came into existence. If one is to claim that he
has always existed, then Occam's Razor would suggest that there is no need
to invoke a creator that has always existed, when a universe that has always
existed will do just as well.

2) It is endlessly expanding and contracting

Maybe, maybe not.

3) It was created in a single event which resulted in equal amounts of
"matter" and "anti-matter".

Maybe, maybe not.

Which option do you believe in?

I'm not sure the question can be answered. By "answered", I mean in terms
that are generally acceptable - self-evidently true or capable of being
observed or experienced. Compare "the sun is warm" with "god made the
universe".

Let me guess! You are sooooo shallow that you don't subscribe to any
of the above theories???

Tsk, tsk.

--
Wally
www.forthsailing.com

Bobsprit

3) It was created in a single event which resulted in equal amounts of
"matter" and "anti-matter".

Which option do you believe in?

Bwahaahaha! Pretty funny, Donal. I'm smart enough to not simply blindly except
what some clown tells me. "God" was taught to you, just as it was taught to me.
The difference is, I had the strength of character to question it. I'm not a
sheep and I know that a lack of facts should not invite mumbo jumbo, voodoo or
aliens.
I'm off to meet Elvis on the Death Star now. E-mail me there!

RB
Bobsprit

You are sooooo shallow that you don't subscribe to any of the
above theories???

Donal illustrates what is so scary about religion. It's so insecure, so small,
that those with faith must attack or even kill the non-believers.
Rage on, Donal. Enjoy your "god."

RB

2004 Melbourne-King Island Yacht Race - Results and Race Report ORCV Rudder Cup General 0 March 9th 04 03:55 AM
Formalities for Joint Ownership Yacht in Croatia Kris General 0 December 9th 03 12:16 AM
Wanted, kayaking clubs Hywel UK Paddle 0 November 25th 03 12:23 AM
can we get him to post here? Scott Vernon ASA 43 August 29th 03 12:05 PM
Abandoned yacht - Bobsprit's twin brother??? Peter Wiley ASA 2 July 16th 03 05:03 AM