BoatBanter.com

-   -   Yacht Clubs--a mistake (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/19780-yacht-clubs-mistake.html)

EdGordonRN May 17th 04 01:32 PM

Yacht Clubs--a mistake

We thought we'd join the local yacht club--silly us. The club, if you saw it,
would be considered a dive resteraunt, beat up docks, and old nasty boats. They
wanted a thousand dollars to join and 400 dollars a year. Plus we had to be
vouched for by four members, whom we were supposed to find on our own and brown
nose, I suppose. All we wanted to do was sail with other sailors. Come to find
out, hardly any members even own a boat. It was a pathetic rich-persons club. I
thank God every day that He has given me everything I want without making me
have to be rich to get it.

SAIL LOCO May 17th 04 02:37 PM

Yacht Clubs--a mistake

It was a pathetic rich-persons club

Then why was the marina loaded with "old nasty boats"?
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"

katysails May 18th 04 11:37 AM

Yacht Clubs--a mistake

What kind of skaggy place do you sail in? Our yacht club's initiation fee
is half that and we have a great place and a great program....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

EdGordonRN May 18th 04 12:48 PM

Yacht Clubs--a mistake

What kind of skaggy place do you sail in? Our yacht club's initiation fee
is half that and we have a great place and a great program....

The sailing place is great. The yacht clubs are disgusting and cater to the
rich not the sailor. In your yacht club, how much does it cost a year, and how
do you get into it?

Marc May 18th 04 02:20 PM

Yacht Clubs--a mistake

Paraphrasing Groucho Marx, Why on earth would you want to belong to a
club that would have you as a member?

katysails May 18th 04 11:09 PM

Yacht Clubs--a mistake

Ed asked:
In your yacht club, how much does it cost a year, and how
do you get into it?

You have to have a sponsor to vouch for you. Our initiation fee was $350.00
(they had a sale) and a year's membership is 550.00. Storage and slips are
well below the price of any marina within 150 miles. Most of the membership
sails and there is a huge ASA program for kids...Butterfly fleet, JY16
fleet, Opti fleet, Melges 24's and J 24 fleet. Haven't seen too much of the
"rich" around...mist people are middle class family types...I'm sure there
must be a rich eprson or two, but they hide it well...or maybe they're just
couth. What is your definition of "rich"?
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Horvath May 19th 04 02:53 AM

Yacht Clubs--a mistake

wrote this crap:

What kind of skaggy place do you sail in? Our yacht club's initiation fee
is half that and we have a great place and a great program....

The sailing place is great. The yacht clubs are disgusting and cater to the
rich not the sailor. In your yacht club, how much does it cost a year, and how
do you get into it?

At my yacht club, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. To get in,
you need a sponser to fill out the admission forms, and letters of
recommendation from two more members.

EdGordonRN May 19th 04 02:59 AM

Yacht Clubs--a mistake

The man's right. If a $1,000 one time initiation fee and $400 a year is
beyond his means, he'll feel out of place, the members prolly won't want him

Excuse me while I try not to aspirate my puke while I ROTFL. I think rich
people are pathetic. Not people with money--a person can't do much about the
money they either have or don't have--I mean the rich person. That person who
is panicky affraid of losing what he or she knows damn well they will lose in
the end. That person who actually thinks their rotting corpse will be better
off in a tomb--or a yacht club--really needs to look at the realities of life.
If I had millions, which I don't, I would still never belong to the NY yacht
club, because if I have to buy a sponsor, that seems way too much like buying a
friend. Oh, silly me, that's what being rich is all about--buying friends. I
almost forgot. I think that's a very similar notion to buying a wife on an
hourly basis--if you get my drift.

EdGordonRN May 19th 04 03:08 AM

Yacht Clubs--a mistake

What is your definition of "rich"?

Thanks for the info. My definition of rich is having what you want--what you
really want, not what others tell you you should want. In my case, my job gets
me closer to God, my wife is from God, I'm sure of it. Sailing gets me closer
to God and I get to do it all the time. And I think God talks to me all the
time. There is absolutely no possession I want that I don't already have or
can't buy. My life is rich, in my opinion. I would consider it a curse if I had
to have a BMW (which I don't want) a huge house (which I don't want) and sweat
the stock market every day (which I don't want to do) and own a 50 ft sailboat
(which I don't want and would never have time to sail) just to prove to others
that I am rich. I am not financially wealthy, but I am truly happy--and things
are poised to get even better. That's being rich, in my opinion, and my opinion
about my state of being rich is all that matters.

EdGordonRN May 19th 04 03:12 AM

Yacht Clubs--a mistake

At my yacht club, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. To get in,
you need a sponser to fill out the admission forms, and letters of
recommendation from two more members.

Why do you bother? What do you get out of that? People approving of you and you
have to pay for the privilage of people approving you? For a boat club? Maybe
there's something I don't get. Tell me, does anyone actually wear a blazer with
an emblem and a captains hat?