EdGordonRN

Default Yacht Clubs--a mistake

Faith is the refuge for the ignorant. It dissallows speculation and free
thought. Because of faith, the 9/11 terrorists could not even imagine that
they were doing something evil.
The fundmental operational element of faith was and always will be ignorance.
People once believed with all certainly that the world was flat, just as you
believe in a mythical being, just as some folks believe in ghosts.

Our torture of Iraqi prisoners has justified 9/11. It doesn't matter whether we
deserved it and then got it, or got it and then deserved it. The "terrorists"
faith seems to have been true. I'm sorry that people lost their lives in 9/11.
I hate the way the world is. But people in glass houses can't throw stones.
EdGordonRN

"The truth is: I don't have enough faith to be an athiest." A friend of mine
who earned a B.Sc. in mathematics told me that in one of our discussions about
math and creation.
Scott Vernon

"Bobspirit" wrote
"God" was taught to you, just as it was taught to me.
The difference is, I had A.D.D. and couldn't understand what was being

taught.

RB

Bobsprit

One said to the other, "What do you think about all this Satan
stuff?" The other boy replied, "Well, you know how Santa Claus turned out.
It's
probably just your dad."

Funny!

RB
Bobsprit

"The truth is: I don't have enough faith to be an athiest.

Being an atheiest is as closed minded as any religion. In fact, it IS a
religion.

RB

Scott Vernon

"Navigator" wrote
Anyway I'm allowed to use their facilities for free

Hope you flushed afterwards.

Scotty

Horvath

On 19 May 2004 02:12:37 GMT, topspam (EdGordonRN)
wrote this crap:

At my yacht club, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. To get in,
you need a sponser to fill out the admission forms, and letters of
recommendation from two more members.

Why do you bother? What do you get out of that?

You start by getting to use the facilities. I get a dock for $900 a
year, with water and electric, which is less than half the price of a
dock at a marina. We have full shower rooms and toilet facilities.
Most marinas just have port-a-potties. We have a quarter mile of the
best beach in the midwest, (and that's saying a lot.) Did I mention
that a rum drink is $1.25 at the bar, and a beer is $0.85? Storage
for Lasers and racing dingys is on the beach. Dry storage for J24s
and similar boats is available. We have a launch tower for dry launch
boats. Did I mention rum drinks are $1.25 and beer is $0.85? Grassy
areas are available for sail drying and folding. At my old marina,
the only grassy area was used to walk dogs. And I'm not even
mentioning a third of the available facilities.

Also, this yacht club was started by sailors, for sailors. The
charter states that the mission of the yacht club was to promote
sailing activities. The stinkboaters are tolerated, and they know
they are in the minority. I'm not stuck around a bunch of
stinkboaters, who have to put up with the "ragbagger."

We have social and sailing activities every weekend. This weekend we
have a birthday party for two boats. Rum drinks at the bar will be
$1.25 and beer will be $0.85.

I could keep going on, but you get the idea.

People approving of you and you
have to pay for the privilage of people approving you? For a boat club? Maybe
there's something I don't get. Tell me, does anyone actually wear a blazer with
an emblem and a captains hat?

No. And gold chains are frowned upon.

Horvath

On Wed, 19 May 2004 00:16:04 -0400, "Beauregard"
wrote this crap:

I belong to a yacht club, and find it to be an excellent way for people
who do not or cannot own lakeside property to enjoy the water and
boating. My club requires three sponsors, and a guest membership period
in order for the applicant and the membership to make sure they are
comfortable with each other.

The only routine paid services utilized by the club are mowing the
grass, garbage pick-up, and a weekly housecleaning, so it is very
important that members clean up after themselves, pitch in to help on
semi-annual workdays, and serve on various committees. In return,
members have access to a marine railway, dry storage, wet slips,
launching ramps, docks, swim area, a club house that can be reserved for
private events at no charge, personal lockers, camping areas, organized
rowing and sailing programs, and the society of congenial people for
frequent social events. All of this is at an annual cost about half of
the annual lease of a slip for a 25 foot boat in a commercial marina.
We have a limited number of club owwned boats available for member use
on a first-come, first served basis, including a laser, a j-22, a couple
of sunfish, rowing skulls, and a couple of canoes. Multi-class club
races are held roughly everty two weeks year round, and there is ample
opportunity to participate as a crew member or by skippering one of the
club boats.

Since the membership jointly owns a multimillion $ facility, a modest
initiation fee ($1200 when I joined) and a process of ensuring mutual
compatability between members and candidates is appropriate, in my
opinion. We are a southern club, and do not descriminate based on
race, creed, or social status. Our membership includes a butcher, a few
doctors, school teachers, college professors, a smattering of yankees,
an English couple, a Frenchman, and at least one athiest.

You allow Frenchmen?

katysails

Faith is believing in a possible uncertainty as a reality.

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

2004 Melbourne-King Island Yacht Race - Results and Race Report ORCV Rudder Cup General 0 March 9th 04 03:55 AM
Formalities for Joint Ownership Yacht in Croatia Kris General 0 December 9th 03 12:16 AM
Wanted, kayaking clubs Hywel UK Paddle 0 November 25th 03 12:23 AM
can we get him to post here? Scott Vernon ASA 43 August 29th 03 12:05 PM
Abandoned yacht - Bobsprit's twin brother??? Peter Wiley ASA 2 July 16th 03 05:03 AM