Ric

Default "Undesirable alien" buying a US flagged boat

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
et...

Buy it somewhere else - we don't need you business

Actually I think your country does need the business, with record currnet
account imbalance you'd probably quite like a couple of hundred thousand
hard euros in the bank. The USD is just monopoly money these days.

Martin Baxter

Ric wrote:

Forgive him, he's obviously a bit thick as I also explained that I don't
really have a "home country" and I would also far rather not have it under
US flag if I can avoid it as I quite like to have boats of other
nationalities give me a friendly waive as they pass, and I don't want the
USCG messing me around and I don't want to contribute my money to the US war
machine.

You could try registering it in my province, Ontario. When I registered my boat
all they wanted was the bill of sale and the GST, (8%), didn't ask where I was
from, or for ID for that matter. This is not the same as documentation, but you
get a nice little certificate that says that you are the owner of the vessel and that
it is registered in Canada. You then must put a set of letters and numbers on the
side of the vessel.

Cheers
Marty

DSK

Peter Wiley wrote:
Lot of truth in that. The USA asserts the right to search US registered
vessels anywhere, any time, in international waters.

AFAIK the USCG asserts it's rights to search any vessel, anywhere,
priod. Nationality of register does not enter the equation. Quite a few
countries don't agree, and for the most part, the USCG doesn't get in
their face about it. Although there have been a few cases under 'hot
pursuit' doctrine.

... Somehow it escapes
the right wing nutcases like CA that this violates US citizens' right
to be free from arbitrary search.

It doesn't escape them, it's just more comfortable to ignore it.
Besides, not even the US Constition guarantees the same freedoms on the
water to those on land.

WRT attitudes there was a book published recently by an Australian
woman. She was a left wing bleeding heart who I'd argue with instantly
but some of her observations on US boats & attitudes were interesting.

Like what?

If you're going to take the boat out of the USA ASAP, try the Cook
Islands or similar. As a NZ citizen you might find registering it there
relatively simple - pay and forget. Panama possibly?

Possibly, but re-registering an American boat in Panama might be a red
flag to the drug war troops.

There is a huge expat poppulation in the Caribbean, and most of them
seem to have boats. I don't know what they do about registry, but it
might be worth looking into.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Martin Baxter

Capt.American wrote:

Martin Baxter wrote in message ...

Capt.American wrote:

Whats the name of the book you wrote?

You could try following the link that he posted.

Yo numb nuts, He had no link with his first post.

Ah, the school yard epithet, first recourse of the cognitively
challenged. The link was posted about six hours before your post,
do try and read all the information before posting stupid responses.

Cheers
Marty

Jeff Morris

Serves me right for bottom posting!

"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 19:35:36 -0500, "Jeff Morris"
said:

I originally posted that the owner must be a US
citizen and posted the link to the VDC.

Ah, yes. I see that only Jax's words appeared on my screen. Didn't scroll
down far enough.

Dave
S/V Good Fortune
CS27

katysails

Jax, ignorant again, stated:=20
Caryl Chessman was not a killer, as I recall. Kates, for someone who =
said she
didn't know who the guy was you certainly made some strong =
incriminations.

Google Caryl Chessman.....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

katysails

Rci stated;=20

-- Oh there's always loonies out there

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of a brit operative..Doubt =
there's enough of our CIA left to make the effort...
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

katysails

Bobsprit wrote:=20
Buy it somewhere else - we don't need you business

Didn't see the new figures about our trade deficit, huh?

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Jeff Morris

There are several different issues going on here. One is "control" as in
ownership, and the law as are very clear - documented vessels must be owned by
citizens. The stockholders of a holding corporation must be mostly citizens,
etc.

Jax is also claiming that the operator of the vessel must also be a citizen - in
particular he's claiming that if you loan or charter your documented vessel to a
non-citizen you at in violation. I found the CPR that specifically permits
chartering of recreational vessels, and I've never heard that loaning is
forbidden. If it were anyone but jaxie I'd be tempted to call the CG and ask.

"Dave" wrote in message
On 11 Mar 2004 01:46:10 GMT, (JAXAshby) said:

sorry, jeffies, people have lost their documentation by letting noncitizens
control (meaning no citizen onboard) their documented boats.

I'd suggest you take a careful look at the meaning of "control" in this
context, bearing in mind that there are specific provisions dealing with
owners, officers and directors of a corporation. My suspicion is that
"control" is not synonymous with "operate." For example, if a person has the
power to elect a majority of a corporation's directors, he's generally said
to "control" the corporation, and might also be said to "control" the vessel
owned by the corporation, even if he's 1000 miles away from it.

Dave
S/V Good Fortune
CS27

felton

On 11 Mar 2004 05:00:28 GMT, (JAXAshby) wrote:

no, fleton. you were NOT thinking. quit lying like that.

Perhaps you would post a link to a case where someone loses their
documentation for allowing a foreigner to sail their boat without a
citizen aboard. You should really call your nearest community college
and ask any freshman pre-law student to explain the verbage you posted
about "effective control" as it relates to ownership. Next you will
be claiming I can't loan my car to a foreigner or I will lose title to
my vehicle.

sorry, jeffies, people have lost their documentation by letting noncitizens
control (meaning no citizen onboard) their documented boats.

I'd suggest you take a careful look at the meaning of "control" in this
context, bearing in mind that there are specific provisions dealing with
owners, officers and directors of a corporation. My suspicion is that
"control" is not synonymous with "operate." For example, if a person has the
power to elect a majority of a corporation's directors, he's generally said
to "control" the corporation, and might also be said to "control" the vessel
owned by the corporation, even if he's 1000 miles away from it.

Dave
S/V Good Fortune
CS27

I was thinking the same thing, Dave. In the context that Jax quoted,
but seems to misunderstand, I gathered the term control was *as in
effective ownership*, not the simple operation of a boat. In other
words, no "citizen" acting as a straw man while the boat is
effectively owned, or controlled, by a noncitizen.