DSK

Default "Undesirable alien" buying a US flagged boat

Peter Wiley wrote:
Lot of truth in that. The USA asserts the right to search US registered
vessels anywhere, any time, in international waters.

AFAIK the USCG asserts it's rights to search any vessel, anywhere,
priod. Nationality of register does not enter the equation. Quite a few
countries don't agree, and for the most part, the USCG doesn't get in
their face about it. Although there have been a few cases under 'hot
pursuit' doctrine.

... Somehow it escapes
the right wing nutcases like CA that this violates US citizens' right
to be free from arbitrary search.

It doesn't escape them, it's just more comfortable to ignore it.
Besides, not even the US Constition guarantees the same freedoms on the
water to those on land.

WRT attitudes there was a book published recently by an Australian
woman. She was a left wing bleeding heart who I'd argue with instantly
but some of her observations on US boats & attitudes were interesting.

Like what?

If you're going to take the boat out of the USA ASAP, try the Cook
Islands or similar. As a NZ citizen you might find registering it there
relatively simple - pay and forget. Panama possibly?

Possibly, but re-registering an American boat in Panama might be a red
flag to the drug war troops.

There is a huge expat poppulation in the Caribbean, and most of them
seem to have boats. I don't know what they do about registry, but it
might be worth looking into.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King