Ric

Default "Undesirable alien" buying a US flagged boat

Hello,

I am an "alien" as you americans like to call us. I'm even worse an
"undesirable alien" because your government won't give me a visa because of
a book I wrote.

However, I wish to buy a second-hand boat from a gentleman in New York. He
currently has the boat registered under a US flag. Will I be able to keep
the boat under US flag? I intend to live aboard and sail indefinitely, so
will have no fixed abode so no logical country to register the boat. It
would make things much simpler therefore if I just kept it under US flag.
Would this be permitted, given that I am an "undesirable alien" and do not
have an address in the USA?

Horvath

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:30:30 +0100, "Ric" wrote this
crap:

Hello,

I am an "alien" as you americans like to call us.

What planet are you from? Does your finger cure sickness? Do you
phone home?

This signature is now the ultimate power in the universe
Free Rider

Curious...we're supposed to have free speech here in Amerika, so why would
they call you "undesirable" unless you were hitting on the immigrations
chick? What book is this that has banned you? I may want to buy it.

"Horvath" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:30:30 +0100, "Ric" wrote this
crap:

Hello,

I am an "alien" as you americans like to call us.

What planet are you from? Does your finger cure sickness? Do you
phone home?

This signature is now the ultimate power in the universe

Ric

"Free Rider" wrote in message
Curious...we're supposed to have free speech here in Amerika, so why would
they call you "undesirable" unless you were hitting on the immigrations
chick? What book is this that has banned you? I may want to buy it.

There is an arrest warrant for me in the UK for publishing this book. As a
result, the USA will not give me a visa, since they depend on UK to back
them up when they invade other countries, and so do them favours in return
like making life difficult for me.

Jeff Morris

I believe that documenting a vessel in the US is a privilege of US citizenship.
If that is true, you will have to let the documentation lapse. You may still be
able to register it in a state of the US, but that could cause problems if you
travel outside the US.

Here's the site, read the FAQ:
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm

"Ric" wrote in message
Hello,

I am an "alien" as you americans like to call us. I'm even worse an
"undesirable alien" because your government won't give me a visa because of
a book I wrote.

However, I wish to buy a second-hand boat from a gentleman in New York. He
currently has the boat registered under a US flag. Will I be able to keep
the boat under US flag? I intend to live aboard and sail indefinitely, so
will have no fixed abode so no logical country to register the boat. It
would make things much simpler therefore if I just kept it under US flag.
Would this be permitted, given that I am an "undesirable alien" and do not
have an address in the USA?

Ric

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
I believe that documenting a vessel in the US is a privilege of US

citizenship.
If that is true, you will have to let the documentation lapse. You may

still be
able to register it in a state of the US, but that could cause problems if

you
travel outside the US.

Here's the site, read the FAQ:
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm

Thanks, I've emailed the USCG to ask their advice.

JAXAshby

oh, so you broke British law, they wish to arrest you for breaking British law
and you are upset that the US won't give a visa to a known criminal?

How dastardly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/.../-/1903813018/

new/ref%3Dsdp%5Fnewb/202-9391212-5292618

There is an arrest warrant for me in the UK for publishing this book. As a
result, the USA will not give me a visa, since they depend on UK to back
them up when they invade other countries, and so do them favours in return
like making life difficult for me.

JAXAshby

I believe that documenting a vessel in the US is a privilege of US
citizenship.

that is a fact. non citizens are not even allowed to use documented boats
unless a citizen is aboard

Ric

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
oh, so you broke British law, they wish to arrest you for breaking British

law
and you are upset that the US won't give a visa to a known criminal?

How dastardly.

I didn't say I was upset. I actually find it rather amusing that the US and
UK are so annoyed about my book. And even more satisfying when uptight
people like you brand me a criminal!

But by your logic, all the american women who take their bikini tops off
(oooh how naughty) and sip beer (gasp!) on Pampelonne beach in St Tropez
should automatically be arrested by the French police, as that is against
Amerikan law.

Plastiekske

Well,

I'm not an 'undesirable alien', but I've just recently (three weeks ago) bought a US registered boat
(lying in Georgia). I was meaning to sail the boat along the East Coast to Newport, before crossing
the Atlantic to my 'home country' (Belgium).
I was informed by a Flemish counterpart of the ASA that there would be no VAT (Value Added Tax: 21%
!!!!) due because the boat was built in 1984. Once I got to cutting through the red tape to get the
boat registered in Belgium, it turned out to be that ... I will have to pay this additional 21%
(where on earth is the "added value"?).
Because I don't want to save the Belgian economy all by myself, I've decided, with pain in my heart,
to re-sell the boat.
Should anyone be interested ... http://plastiekske.tripod.com/ForSale
Asking price: US$72500 because I want to make a quick sale (I've paid US$74500, which already was
IMO a bargain)

Frank