Donal

Default "Undesirable alien" buying a US flagged boat

wrote in message

Captain America, thick? Captain America is not smart enough to be
thick!

BB, you are a complete idiot.

Capt America may well be a Redneck, but I'm fairly sure that he isn't thick.
He seems to know quite a bit about sailing. You, on the other hand,
demonstrate no knowledge whatsoever about sailing.

Regards

Donal

Peter Wiley

In article , Ric
wrote:

"Martin Baxter" wrote in message
Capt.American wrote:

Whats the name of the book you wrote?

You could try following the link that he posted.

Forgive him, he's obviously a bit thick as I also explained that I don't
really have a "home country" and I would also far rather not have it under
US flag if I can avoid it as I quite like to have boats of other
nationalities give me a friendly waive as they pass, and I don't want the
USCG messing me around and I don't want to contribute my money to the US war
machine.

Lot of truth in that. The USA asserts the right to search US registered
vessels anywhere, any time, in international waters. Somehow it escapes
the right wing nutcases like CA that this violates US citizens' right
to be free from arbitrary search. Was all about the WOD of course,
which is hopelessly lost. BTW, apparently the British granted the USA
rights to do the same thing for Brit registered vessels and for all I
know, Australia as well. Wouldn't surprise me.

WRT attitudes there was a book published recently by an Australian
woman. She was a left wing bleeding heart who I'd argue with instantly
but some of her observations on US boats & attitudes were interesting.
Can't remember the title, lent it to a friend of mine so I could
develop a good argument topic next time we had a dinner party :-)

NZ is a nice backward country but from stuff Navvie posted, I think
registering a boat there would be a mistake. They have a nanny approach
to blue water sailing which Navvie is happy about and thinks a good
idea, but would drive most people insane. Probably be OK if you never
took the vessel into NZ waters. Surely a local address couldn't be too
hard to arrange, though they might want to see what you're trying to
register.

If you're going to take the boat out of the USA ASAP, try the Cook
Islands or similar. As a NZ citizen you might find registering it there
relatively simple - pay and forget. Panama possibly?

Peter Wiley
Jeff Morris

Dave, get with the program. I originally posted that the owner must be a US
citizen and posted the link to the VDC.

Jaxie, however, is claiming that there must be a citizen on board at all times.
He said:

"non citizens are not even allowed to use documented boats unless a citizen is
aboard"

Are you claiming that jaxie is correct on this?

"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:34:06 -0500, "Jeff Morris"
said:

That's not true. Please produce a reference to such a regulation.

Well, the Coast Guard may of course be full of it, but here's what their
website says:

"The basic requirements for documentation are to demonstrate ownership of
the vessel, _U.S. citizenship_, and eligibility for the endorsement sought."
(emphasis supplied)

See http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/faq.htm#02

I haven't bothered to check U.S.C or C.F.R., but feel free if you think
they're wrong.

Dave
S/V Good Fortune
CS27

JAXAshby

sorry, dude. aliens are not allowed to document a boat in the US. In
addition, aliens are not allowed to operate a US documented boat without a
citizen aboard.

maybe charter boats have a special exemption? maybe the CG doesn't check?

That's not true. Please produce a reference to such a regulation. If this
were
true it would be impossible for a tourist to do a bare boat charter of a
documented vessel.

What is true is that to carry passengers for hire you need a license which
requires citizenship. I believe that immigration papers are accepted for the
lowest level (launch driver perhaps?). I think there a similar restrictions
on
other commercial vessels.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
I believe that documenting a vessel in the US is a privilege of US
citizenship.

that is a fact. non citizens are not even allowed to use documented boats
unless a citizen is aboard

JAXAshby

yeah, the guy knowingly and deliberately committed a crime breaking a low the
Brits feel is vital for their national security.

Now, the clown wants us to grant him a visa so he can what? Knowingly and
deliberately commit a crime breaking a law we feel vital for our national
security?

Sure.

Ric,

You covert American Rights but knock our values.

I wonder how the operative in M16 feel about your views?

I can't remember a time when I've agreed with JAX but on this I stand
Shoulder to Shoulder with his VIEWS; AND, "I'LL DRINK TO THAT!"

Ole Thom

Jeff Morris

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
sorry, dude. aliens are not allowed to document a boat in the US. In
addition, aliens are not allowed to operate a US documented boat without a
citizen aboard.

maybe charter boats have a special exemption? maybe the CG doesn't check?

Maybe there's no such regulation? The CFR is online, jaxie, it shouldn't be too
hard for you to find the reg.

JAXAshby

from the Code of Federal Regulations:

"q) Transfer means the passing of control of or an interest in a Documented
Vessel and includes the involuntary conveyance by a foreign judicial or
administrative tribunal of any interest in or control of a
Documented Vessel owned by a Citizen of the United States to a Noncitizen that
is not eligible to own a Documented Vessel."
Jeff Morris

OK.
46CFR221 goes into some detail about the process of chartering, including the
permissions required to charter to non-citizens and the fees involved (several
hundred dollars) to obtain this approval.

However, 46CFR221.11:
(b)(1) The approvals required by paragraph (a)(1) of this section
are not required for the following Documented Vessel types if the vessel
has been operated exclusively and with bona fides for one or more of the
following uses, under a Certificate of Documentation with an appropriate
endorsement and no other, since initial documentation or renewal of its
documentation following construction, conversion, or transfer from
foreign registry, or, if it has not yet so operated, if the vessel has
been designed and built and will be operated for one or more of the
following uses:
(iv) A Pleasure vessel.

Once again, jaxie, you're busted.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
sorry, dude. That's your job.

sorry, dude. aliens are not allowed to document a boat in the US. In
addition, aliens are not allowed to operate a US documented boat without a
citizen aboard.

maybe charter boats have a special exemption? maybe the CG doesn't check?

Maybe there's no such regulation? The CFR is online, jaxie, it shouldn't be
too
hard for you to find the reg.

Jeff Morris

What is this,jaxie, you just grabbed a random section of the CFR and now claim
its relevant? I posted the reg that explicitly says its OK to charter a
pleasure boat to a non-citizen.