Peter Wiley

Default "Undesirable alien" buying a US flagged boat

In article , Ric
wrote:

"Martin Baxter" wrote in message
Capt.American wrote:

Whats the name of the book you wrote?

You could try following the link that he posted.

Forgive him, he's obviously a bit thick as I also explained that I don't
really have a "home country" and I would also far rather not have it under
US flag if I can avoid it as I quite like to have boats of other
nationalities give me a friendly waive as they pass, and I don't want the
USCG messing me around and I don't want to contribute my money to the US war
machine.

Lot of truth in that. The USA asserts the right to search US registered
vessels anywhere, any time, in international waters. Somehow it escapes
the right wing nutcases like CA that this violates US citizens' right
to be free from arbitrary search. Was all about the WOD of course,
which is hopelessly lost. BTW, apparently the British granted the USA
rights to do the same thing for Brit registered vessels and for all I
know, Australia as well. Wouldn't surprise me.

WRT attitudes there was a book published recently by an Australian
woman. She was a left wing bleeding heart who I'd argue with instantly
but some of her observations on US boats & attitudes were interesting.
Can't remember the title, lent it to a friend of mine so I could
develop a good argument topic next time we had a dinner party :-)

NZ is a nice backward country but from stuff Navvie posted, I think
registering a boat there would be a mistake. They have a nanny approach
to blue water sailing which Navvie is happy about and thinks a good
idea, but would drive most people insane. Probably be OK if you never
took the vessel into NZ waters. Surely a local address couldn't be too
hard to arrange, though they might want to see what you're trying to
register.

If you're going to take the boat out of the USA ASAP, try the Cook
Islands or similar. As a NZ citizen you might find registering it there
relatively simple - pay and forget. Panama possibly?

Peter Wiley