otnmbrd

Default Inherently beautiful.

Sure it is, if you know what you're doing, and have done it, and
conditions are right, and you don't "screw the pooch".

otn

Donal wrote:
"otnmbrd" wrote in message
ink.net...

LOL If you guys are worried about 40'-50' clearances, I'd hate to see
what you'll be like when things get close. ...... course, in Neal's
case, doubt he could work around any docks .... probably why he's at a
mooring (anchors as close as he can, then hops into his dingy and runs a
line to his mooring)

otn

C'mon, be fair.

Getting a 33 ft boat out of a berth when there is only 40 ft behind her, is
not easy.

Regards

Donal

otnmbrd

Capt. Mooron wrote:

Do you think you could maneuver as handily in a full keeled sailboat with no
engine in an area like that or are you addressing this to dual screws and
bow thrusters??

Yup, used to do it all the time, back when I owned a sailboat ....
always got a kick out of it, when all went well.

Until you can competently maneuver a boat under sail in tight areas....
making a claim of ability based on power driven propulsion falls short of
having any bearing on the subject at hand. I've had the helm on some fairly
large motor boats in my life and none proved to be very difficult to
maneuver or place to a dock in any conditions. [ Okay so maybe 90 ft boats
and ferries with a barge attached aren't that big to you.... they're big to
me! ;-)...]

CM

I was sticking to the subject at hand. My 26' Contessa, sailed and
maneuvered very nicely, under working jib, in close quarters.

As for large ships (500'-800') 50 foot is the minimum clearance I try
for, but frequently I have to watch the tug clearance, since I may have
to "fold" them alongside at times, until they have room to work.

otn

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
ink.net...
| LOL If you guys are worried about 40'-50' clearances, I'd hate to see
| what you'll be like when things get close. ...... course, in Neal's
| case, doubt he could work around any docks .... probably why he's at a
| mooring (anchors as close as he can, then hops into his dingy and runs a
| line to his mooring)
|
| otn
|

| Donal wrote:
| "JN" wrote in message
| .. .
|
| After BACKING out of the slip, I have about 50 feet of water between me
|
| and
|
| the boats docked on the other side of the channel.
|

| That is pure luxury!
|
| I've got less than 40 feet *before* I back out!
|
| Regards
|

| Donal

Capt. Mooron

"JN" wrote in message

| Stupid ****s! I never claimed to be an expert.

Typical reaction from a dock sailor with severely impeded sailing skills....
he reverts to slander when exposed for the lying sack of excrement he
portrayed himself to be on his first post on this subject.

And you two are relics,

I'm very experienced with boats... to a level which is so much more than
you ever have a hope of achieving. You'll continually spout off useless
gibberish to anyone dockside willing to listen for the sole purpose of
attempting to convince yourself you have something important or useful to
offer. Newsflash... you don't have a friggin clue as to vessel control or
operation. You're point of view is ridiculous in it's inherent infantile,
meaningless and distorted basis.

| either living in isolation or accidents waiting to happen.

This from someone who admits he can't negotiate a marina without bow
thrusters and fending poles.

Today's waters
| are much to crowded. Today's sailboats are much more advanced, so why not
| make use of the fact that we now have auxiliary power.

Read he couldn't sail a real boat since he relies on the engine more than
the sails..... STINKPOTTER!
You are truly representative of the useless, ignorant boatowners filling the
marinas like a rampant pox on boating. Totally clueless and dependant on
every technological advance to keep you from self immolation due to terminal
incompetence.

Today's population
| is much too lawsuit happy. I happen to own three sailboats.

Proof money won't buy you skill or intelligence.

Two are
| smaller and my only auxiliary power is a boat paddle because it's required
| by law in my state. My 30 footer has the capability to do damage, and
| therefore I take all precautions....

No!.... you're the one with the capacity to do damage .... because you are
plain too stupid to operate a boat.

| How would you like to get on an airliner and learn the pilot does his
| pre-flight checks from memory, not by checklist? Would you say they are
not
| experienced pilots.

I don't give a rat's ass what they do..... if they crash and I live... they
better start running or I'll kick their sorry asses back to the airport!

| I agree with Bob****, your sailboats are among the majority that never
leave
| the dock.

You agree with Bob..... of course you would. Bwahahahahahahahahaaaa!!

CM

Martin Baxter

The Captains Nemesis wrote:

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 01:34:58 -0400, Martin Baxter
wrote:

Now Loco, lets be fair here, some of us still sail with hank-ons, if
you've
got scallops you've got something wrong, (which Neal has in abundance),
get
the forestay tension and luff tension right and you won't have them.

Cheers
Marty

Bwaaahahahahahahahahahahahahhaaaaaa....hahahahahah ahahahaaaaaa...hahhaaaaaa..hahahahahhahahahahhhaha hhhaaaaaaaaaaa!

Scintillating Oz, simply scintillating.

Cheers
Marty

Martin Baxter

"Capt. Mooron" wrote:

Best move I've ever done was not bothering to start the engine. Hank on the
headsail, raise the main and jib from the cockpit, free the mooring line,
trim and sail away. this can just as easily be done from a lee dock as well.

But Oz won't have them Mooron, and he's next to God, so we must be
doomed to
purgatory, or worse.

Cheers
Marty (who doesn't have scallops, 'cept for dinner)
Thom Stewart

Donal,

Sounds like my Slip. 2 boats per slip with 45 ft water ways. I'm slip 40
of 100. When I sail in I have to sail past my slip. tack from the far
side and curve back into my Starboard side. Going out? depends on the
Tide. If it pushes the stern to Port; all well. I back out with Main up.
As soon as I start turning board to the wind, I have to harden up before
the bow clears so that leeway doesn't carry me across the water way
into the other finger pier. I sail out on Main only.

If Tide pushes stern to st-brd, as Simian says, I'm a power boater. I've
been known to back out those 30 piers to the channel and depending on
traffic, I may clear the harbor before I rise Sail.

There is a very common, stupid, sight on race night of the Etchell fleet
with a crew sitting on the pointy end with a paddle working like hell to
get out into the channel to pass a tow rope to a sailboat under power to
get to the race course for their start time. It isn't one of those
romantic sights of sailing you hear about from S. SIMIAN.

OT

Martin Baxter

The Captains Nemesis wrote:

wrote:

Now Loco, lets be fair here, some of us still sail with hank-ons, if
you've
got scallops you've got something wrong, (which Neal has in abundance),
get
the forestay tension and luff tension right and you won't have them.

Cheers
Marty

Bwaaahahahahahahahahahahahahhaaaaaa....hahahahahah ahahahaaaaaa...hahhaaaaaa..hahahahahhahahahahhhaha hhhaaaaaaaaaaa!

Scintillating Oz, simply scintillating.

Cheers
Marty

Bwaaahahahahahahahaa!
Scallops.....something wrong....adjust forestay and luff tension and
you won't have them........Bwaaaahahahahahahahahaaaa!

Get used to being at the back of the fleet Marty!

Hey! I never said that hank-ons were faster or better, just that some of
us still had
'em. If you do have them, there's no reason that they should be flown
badly.

Now could you explain to me your penchant for Boobsterisms?

Cheers
Marty
Martin Baxter

The Captains Nemesis wrote:

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:38:31 -0400, Martin Baxter
wrote:

"Capt. Mooron" wrote:

Best move I've ever done was not bothering to start the engine. Hank on the
headsail, raise the main and jib from the cockpit, free the mooring line,
trim and sail away. this can just as easily be done from a lee dock as well.

But Oz won't have them Mooron, and he's next to God, so we must be
doomed to
purgatory, or worse.

Cheers
Marty (who doesn't have scallops, 'cept for dinner)

Bwaaahahahahahaaaa!
You'd be home after dinner.

Is the only enjoyment in sailing to found in racing? Rather an elitist
attitude.

Cheers
Marty
The Carrolls

only because we abused the coast guard as a free towing service back then.
The Captains Nemesis wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:05:18 -0300, "Capt. Mooron"
wrote:

Well put Oz....

You expect less??

this poster is representative of the level of boat
handling skills of the modern day sailor. Self professed "Experts" with
minimal experience and limited skills. Yet they'll post like their

opinion
has merit. To those of us who know better... it's embarrassing to have

them
comment on any sailing topic. They are clearly in the primary stage of
sailing development and should really learn their place.....

CM

Kids these days just have no respect.
Talents are developed over many years with constant reference to a
mentor of above average ability...today, they know it all from day
one. Comments like
"Stupid ****s! I never claimed to be an expert. And you two are
relics,
either living in isolation or accidents waiting to happen"
are all too common and insurance rates just keep rising just as Sea
Tow has now become a viable business, a business taht would never have
got off the ground even a short 20 years ago.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.
Who spends an hour tuning before every race not just when new sails go on