Simple Simon

Default Inherently beautiful.

"JN" wrote in message ...
I therefore extend everyone else in the marina neighborhood the same
courtesy of insuring complete control of my vessel while in such close
circumstances and that requires the engine.

Talk about a motor boat mentality!

Any sailor knows his boat is more maneuverable under working
sail than engine alone. Any lazy bum can motor along and consider
himself safe yet one still hears many more stories of boats ramming
the dock under motor than under sail.

S.Simon

Capt. Mooron

If you had a clue about boat handling or the experience of operating a large
sail vessel without any auxiliary... then you might be able to talk to me
about ship handling in tight quarters under sail. I have such experience.
It's amazing what a sailboat can do in the right hands of someone with
competence.

The situation you describe is easily and safely maneuvered with some fore
thought and a speck of navigational, helm and ship handling experience. It's
fine that you use an engine to compensate for your obvious lack of skills.
I'm certain every slip neighbour draws a sigh of relief at your safe
negotiation of the slips at your marina.

Yes I use belaying pins to correct errant crew and baggywrinkles to cushion
my rum bottle from damage..... I'll bet you use a foam cushioned Mylar
drink holder from on of the lofts to cradle your wine coolers.

Wheel steering is fine on a larger boat. A 27 footer with a wheel is plain
stupid. My 30 footer has stern hung rudder and a tiller. That's proper!

Miserable???.... No. Old... no way! Likely to take issue with an ill
conceived, ignorant, poorly informed, pompous rant of idiocy from the likes
of you.... You Bet!

Next time you feel like you are the last word on proper sailing
technique.... whack your thick skull into the desk a few times and keep in
mind I'll be standing by to correct you on your decimation of dangerous and
idiotic diatribe.

CM

"JN" wrote in message
| Obviously you aren't situated between a finger pier and a neighboring
boat,
| and once out of the slip having to make you way out between the piers of
| slips into open water. Oh, there have been times I've really been tempted
| to try, but any hair brained idiot who rams my docked boat while trying
such
| a stunt would receive my full wrath. I therefore extend everyone else in
| the marina neighborhood the same courtesy of insuring complete control of
my
| vessel while in such close circumstances and that requires the engine. Do
| you still insist on using belaying pins and baggywrinkles? Maybe you
think
| wheel steering has no place on a sailboat? Maybe you're just a miserable
| old fart.

JN

After BACKING out of the slip, I have about 50 feet of water between me and
the boats docked on the other side of the channel. It takes an engine to
stop the backward motion of my 30' sloop in that amount of space so I don't
hit any of the boats on the other side. After achieving a forward motion,
someone could probably raise the sail, but my recommendation to anyone whose
boat was damaged from anyone trying that would be to take their boat away
from them by lawsuit. Negligence is the word I would recommend using. Then
sell one boat and buy more toys courtesy of the idiot.

Simple Simon

Your motor boat mentality is showing again.

You could always push your boat out of the slip.
There is a little inertia to overcome but after that
it just glides backwards for a long way. If you
had both sails up and luffing it would be very
to jump aboard at the end of the slip and use
the tiller to turn the boat in the desired direction
so the sails would work when sheeted in.

How do you think sailboats got around before
there were motors? You're way too worried
about hitting something. It's hard to prove
negligence and besides it is never negligent
to sail a sailboat as long as you follow the
COLREGS and speed limits.

S.Simon

"JN" wrote in message .. .
After BACKING out of the slip, I have about 50 feet of water between me and
the boats docked on the other side of the channel. It takes an engine to
stop the backward motion of my 30' sloop in that amount of space so I don't
hit any of the boats on the other side. After achieving a forward motion,
someone could probably raise the sail, but my recommendation to anyone whose
boat was damaged from anyone trying that would be to take their boat away
from them by lawsuit. Negligence is the word I would recommend using. Then
sell one boat and buy more toys courtesy of the idiot.

Donal

"JN" wrote in message
.. .
After BACKING out of the slip, I have about 50 feet of water between me

and
the boats docked on the other side of the channel.

That is pure luxury!

I've got less than 40 feet *before* I back out!

Regards

Donal

otnmbrd

LOL If you guys are worried about 40'-50' clearances, I'd hate to see
what you'll be like when things get close. ...... course, in Neal's
case, doubt he could work around any docks .... probably why he's at a
mooring (anchors as close as he can, then hops into his dingy and runs a
line to his mooring)

otn

Donal wrote:
"JN" wrote in message
.. .

After BACKING out of the slip, I have about 50 feet of water between me

and

the boats docked on the other side of the channel.

That is pure luxury!

I've got less than 40 feet *before* I back out!

Regards

Donal

Capt. Mooron

The Captains Nemesis wrote in message
| Bwaaahaaaahahaaaa!
| My 30' boat has no auxiliary.
| She is sailed into and out of a crowded marina every weekend without
| accident.
|
| You need to brush up on your skills, Learn how to back and stop a boat
| under sail.

Well put Oz.... this poster is representative of the level of boat
handling skills of the modern day sailor. Self professed "Experts" with
minimal experience and limited skills. Yet they'll post like their opinion
has merit. To those of us who know better... it's embarrassing to have them
comment on any sailing topic. They are clearly in the primary stage of
sailing development and should really learn their place.....

CM

Donal

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
ink.net...
LOL If you guys are worried about 40'-50' clearances, I'd hate to see
what you'll be like when things get close. ...... course, in Neal's
case, doubt he could work around any docks .... probably why he's at a
mooring (anchors as close as he can, then hops into his dingy and runs a
line to his mooring)

otn

C'mon, be fair.

Getting a 33 ft boat out of a berth when there is only 40 ft behind her, is
not easy.

Regards

Donal

JN

Stupid ****s! I never claimed to be an expert. And you two are relics,
either living in isolation or accidents waiting to happen. Today's waters
are much to crowded. Today's sailboats are much more advanced, so why not
make use of the fact that we now have auxiliary power. Today's population
is much too lawsuit happy. I happen to own three sailboats. Two are
smaller and my only auxiliary power is a boat paddle because it's required
by law in my state. My 30 footer has the capability to do damage, and
therefore I take all precautions....

How would you like to get on an airliner and learn the pilot does his
pre-flight checks from memory, not by checklist? Would you say they are not
experienced pilots.

I agree with Bob****, your sailboats are among the majority that never leave
the dock.

Capt. Mooron

Do you think you could maneuver as handily in a full keeled sailboat with no
engine in an area like that or are you addressing this to dual screws and
bow thrusters??

Until you can competently maneuver a boat under sail in tight areas....
making a claim of ability based on power driven propulsion falls short of
having any bearing on the subject at hand. I've had the helm on some fairly
large motor boats in my life and none proved to be very difficult to
maneuver or place to a dock in any conditions. [ Okay so maybe 90 ft boats
and ferries with a barge attached aren't that big to you.... they're big to

CM

ink.net...