The Carrolls

Default Inherently beautiful.

I get a 30' out with 35 ' clearance all the time, several times a week.
wrote in message

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
ink.net...
LOL If you guys are worried about 40'-50' clearances, I'd hate to see
what you'll be like when things get close. ...... course, in Neal's
case, doubt he could work around any docks .... probably why he's at a
mooring (anchors as close as he can, then hops into his dingy and runs a
line to his mooring)

otn

C'mon, be fair.

Getting a 33 ft boat out of a berth when there is only 40 ft behind her,

is
not easy.

Regards

Donal

Capt. Mooron

Ozzy is a spoiled Brat..... no wonder he has roller furling... he wears a
Greek Fisherman's Cap for chissakes!!

CM

"Martin Baxter" wrote in message
| "Capt. Mooron" wrote:
|
| Best move I've ever done was not bothering to start the engine. Hank on
the
| headsail, raise the main and jib from the cockpit, free the mooring
line,
| trim and sail away. this can just as easily be done from a lee dock as
well.

| But Oz won't have them Mooron, and he's next to God, so we must be
| doomed to
| purgatory, or worse.
|
| Cheers
| Marty (who doesn't have scallops, 'cept for dinner)

Capt. Mooron

"Martin Baxter" wrote in message

| Is the only enjoyment in sailing to found in racing? Rather an elitist
| attitude.

You know what they say... If you can't sail properly the only option is
racing.

CM

Thom Stewart

Let's get real, Oz,

In harbors the world over. I mean everywhere, We all know where they put
Multi-Hulls. on the very end slips of finger piers or bouyed mooring.

Let's face facts; a Multi trying to manouver ( Over even making a simple
turn in tight quarters) is not a pretty thing. Even under power. Don't
pretend that you can sail into the end of a series of finger slips any
other way but straight in, Let alone work your way down a narrow water
way and into a slip without engine assist

OT

Jonathan Ganz

Seems to me that you could use a spring line to make this work.

"JN" wrote in message
.. .
After BACKING out of the slip, I have about 50 feet of water between me

and
the boats docked on the other side of the channel. It takes an engine to
stop the backward motion of my 30' sloop in that amount of space so I

don't
hit any of the boats on the other side. After achieving a forward motion,
someone could probably raise the sail, but my recommendation to anyone

whose
boat was damaged from anyone trying that would be to take their boat away
from them by lawsuit. Negligence is the word I would recommend using.

Then
sell one boat and buy more toys courtesy of the idiot.

Jonathan Ganz

It's really a matter of being willing to practice elsewhere
before trying it from your slip. If you do your due diligence,
you won't have a problem.

"JN" wrote in message
.. .
Stupid ****s! I never claimed to be an expert. And you two are relics,
either living in isolation or accidents waiting to happen. Today's waters
are much to crowded. Today's sailboats are much more advanced, so why not
make use of the fact that we now have auxiliary power. Today's population
is much too lawsuit happy. I happen to own three sailboats. Two are
smaller and my only auxiliary power is a boat paddle because it's required
by law in my state. My 30 footer has the capability to do damage, and
therefore I take all precautions....

How would you like to get on an airliner and learn the pilot does his
pre-flight checks from memory, not by checklist? Would you say they are

not
experienced pilots.

I agree with Bob****, your sailboats are among the majority that never

leave
the dock.

katysails

boat was damaged from anyone trying that would be to take their boat =
away
from them by lawsuit. Negligence is the word I would recommend using. =
Then
sell one boat and buy more toys courtesy of the idiot.

JN,
You need to visit yacht clubs on race night....not only do they all sail =
in and out without their auxiliary, they also never crash into each =
other...

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

katysails

I agree with Bob****,

Well, that about says it all.....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Wally

JN wrote:

Stupid ****s! I never claimed to be an expert. And you two are
relics, either living in isolation or accidents waiting to happen.
Today's waters are much to crowded. Today's sailboats are much more
advanced, so why not make use of the fact that we now have auxiliary
power.

Why should they get with *your* program?

Today's population is much too lawsuit happy. I happen to
own three sailboats.

Are you a shark-shooting iguana smuggler, by any chance?

Two are smaller and my only auxiliary power is
a boat paddle because it's required by law in my state. My 30 footer
has the capability to do damage, and therefore I take all
precautions....

Are you saying that my 18 footer can't do damage?

How would you like to get on an airliner and learn the pilot does his
pre-flight checks from memory, not by checklist? Would you say they
are not experienced pilots.

What does pilots using checklists have to do with sailors sailing in close
quarters?

I agree with Bob****, ...

Keep taking the tablets...

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com

DSK

In harbors the world over. I mean everywhere, We all know where they put
Multi-Hulls. on the very end slips of finger piers or bouyed mooring.

The Captains Nemesis wrote:
Interesting.
Here the cats tend to be deep into the marinas (other than casuals)
because they have the ability to turn in there own length under power

No doubt that cats under power with wide spaced twin engines are very
maneuverable under power.

Let's face facts; a Multi trying to manouver ( Over even making a simple
turn in tight quarters) is not a pretty thing. Even under power.

Skilled hands make light work under power. Juggling thrust can walk a
cat sideways and maneuver in ways that monos can only dream.

I'd like to see that. Theory suggests that with small props & rudders, prop
walk and kick aren't going to move it sideways much. In practice??

....Don't
pretend that you can sail into the end of a series of finger slips any
other way but straight in, Let alone work your way down a narrow water
way and into a slip without engine assist

Depends entirely on the direction of the wind.
I've sailed past a pen, stopped and reversed in underr sail on a few
occassions. It's a challenge, requires good crew work and capable
people to stop the boat when its in the slip because you can't pull
the sail on to stop the boat .

Heh, that's one benefit of racing type rigs with very short booms- you can
swing the main around even in the slip. Reverse under sail, no problem.

Years and years of sailing boats with no engine or very unreliable engines
taught me to sail into surprisingly tight places... and how to recognize when
it really can't be done. It does take capable crew work though, you only get
one chance to get a line on the windwardmost piling, and it it's missed,
there's hell to pay.

Sailing a racing dinghy up to a finger pier is not difficult, but for sailors
who learned in big boats, it seems a wizardly accomplishment. No wonder they
think you can't sail into a slip (much of the time)

I've been threatened with banning if I ever tried "that stunt" again
by a marina manager who saw damage claims on the horizon.
But it sure did impress the guys in the bar. Yes we had waited until
they were all tied up after thre race and were bought a round or two
for the effort.

My favorite was to sail just to windward of the hoist, stall the boat, douse
& roll sails smartly, and grab the lift hook while others are paddling
towards it or walking their way along the pier. In a couple of seasons,
everyone was doing it and it became a bigger melee than a crowded starting
line.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King