Simple Simon

Default Inherently beautiful.

http://captneal.homestead.com/files/hankdetail.jpg

Stainless steel wire, bronze hank, stainless grommet, the sun
shining through. It just makes you want to go sailing!

There is something inherently beautiful about a proper hank-on
sail. Compare the above picture to the awful mess you look at
on you boat if it has roll-ups.

S.Simon

SAIL LOCO

There is something inherently beautiful about a proper hank-on sail.

Yea they look real nice especially when they are scalloped going up wind.

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
Martin Baxter

SAIL LOCO wrote:

There is something inherently beautiful about a proper hank-on sail.

Yea they look real nice especially when they are scalloped going up wind.

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Now Loco, lets be fair here, some of us still sail with hank-ons, if
you've
got scallops you've got something wrong, (which Neal has in abundance),
get
the forestay tension and luff tension right and you won't have them.

Cheers
Marty
Bobsprit

if
you've
got scallops you've got something wrong

Good god.

RB
Thom Stewart

S. Simian,

There is absolutely nothing beautiful about a Hank. Nothing! Not when
they are brand new and even uglier as they get a little wear and stain
the sail.

A properly set sail is a thing of beauty but the hanks are only an ugly
distraction. Get real!

Hanks are about as beautiful as a length of toilet paper stuck to your
shoe!!

AND; "I'LL DRINK TO THAT!"

Ole Thom

SAIL LOCO

Now Loco, lets be fair here, some of us still sail with hank-ons, if
you've got scallops you've got something wrong.

Nope, don't have the problem. I use a Tuff Luff.

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
JN

Best move I ever made was installing Pro-furl. Nose into the wind, engine
as low as possible to keep her there. Leave the cockpit to raise the main,
return to the cockpit and steer in the direction you need to go. Main
fills, switch the engine off and all becomes quiet. Grab the furling line
and unfurl the headsail. No hanking, No farting around with the headsail
after the main is up. Easy to single-hand and let your sweetie do what she
does best - look pretty!

Heaven isn't as advertised unless it's got wide water, sailboats, and fresh
breezes.

Capt. Mooron

Best move I've ever done was not bothering to start the engine. Hank on the
headsail, raise the main and jib from the cockpit, free the mooring line,
trim and sail away. this can just as easily be done from a lee dock as well.

No farting around with some ultra gay female furling prone to jam and manly
enough to know you don't need fancy gear to be able to single hand your
boat... without needing the engine like so many roller furling users.

CM

"JN" wrote in message
| Best move I ever made was installing Pro-furl. Nose into the wind, engine
| as low as possible to keep her there. Leave the cockpit to raise the
main,
| return to the cockpit and steer in the direction you need to go. Main
| fills, switch the engine off and all becomes quiet. Grab the furling line
| and unfurl the headsail. No hanking, No farting around with the headsail
| after the main is up. Easy to single-hand and let your sweetie do what
she
| does best - look pretty!
|
| Heaven isn't as advertised unless it's got wide water, sailboats, and
fresh
| breezes.

JN

Obviously you aren't situated between a finger pier and a neighboring boat,
and once out of the slip having to make you way out between the piers of
slips into open water. Oh, there have been times I've really been tempted
to try, but any hair brained idiot who rams my docked boat while trying such
a stunt would receive my full wrath. I therefore extend everyone else in
the marina neighborhood the same courtesy of insuring complete control of my
vessel while in such close circumstances and that requires the engine. Do
you still insist on using belaying pins and baggywrinkles? Maybe you think
wheel steering has no place on a sailboat? Maybe you're just a miserable
old fart.

Simple Simon

Excuses, excuses! You're a lazy person not interested in
sailing at all. Your first priority is your motor. Your second
priority is a compromise headsail. You probably have a
mainsail that rolls up to - pathetic!

Get out of here and get over to rec.boats where the motor
boaters hang out!

S.Simon