Bobsprit

Default Inherently beautiful.

Are you saying that my 18 footer can't do damage?

Based on what you've shown in this forum, I'm quite sure that it will.
Ramming speed!

RB
DSK

"Capt. Mooron" wrote:

Do you think you could maneuver as handily in a full keeled sailboat with no
engine in an area like that or are you addressing this to dual screws and
bow thrusters??

A boat with twin screws doesn't need bow thrusters, unless it's bigger than 60
or 70 feet, or has too much windage.

Until you can competently maneuver a boat under sail in tight areas....
making a claim of ability based on power driven propulsion falls short of
having any bearing on the subject at hand.

Agreed.

I've had the helm on some fairly
large motor boats in my life and none proved to be very difficult to
maneuver or place to a dock in any conditions.

Depends on what you mean by "any conditions." With a cross wind or current, a
single screw boat can be a handful. There are times when we put our tugboat at
the T head rather than attempt the slip. Other times we have warped the boat
around the corner and so on. Of course, at some point in the hopefully
not-too-distant future, we'll have a bow thurster and that will expand the
envelope.

[ Okay so maybe 90 ft boats
and ferries with a barge attached aren't that big to you.... they're big to
me! ;-)...]

They can also count on other boats keeping well clear, which is not true of
smaller fry.

BTW when discussing maneuvering full-keel boats, bear in mind that some are more
maneuverable than others. Yours has a cutaway forefoot and should be pretty
handy. Some full keelers are almost as maneuverable as a brick barn.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

DSK

boat was damaged from anyone trying that would be to take their boat away
from them by lawsuit. Negligence is the word I would recommend using. Then
sell one boat and buy more toys courtesy of the idiot.

Has Jason Faulkner returned to us?

katysails wrote:
JN,
You need to visit yacht clubs on race night....not only do they all sail in and out without their auxiliary, they also never crash into each other...

I wouldn't say "never." How about 'rarely crash into each other' instead?

DSK

JN

You are one very stupid piece of ****. You don't know me or anything about
me. I'm tired of you imbiciles, you can just continue hanging out in front
of your computers and playing with yourselves. You're always on this
newsgroup so you can't possibly ever be doing any boating of any kind, power
or sail.

DSK

JN wrote:

You don't know me or anything about
me.

Actually, I do know something about you. Does that make you nervous?

I'm tired of you imbiciles, you can just continue hanging out in front
of your computers and playing with yourselves.

Speaking from experience?

You're always on this
newsgroup so you can't possibly ever be doing any boating of any kind, power
or sail.

Wrong again. You're 1 for 3, not such a bad batting average.

Don't go away mad, just go away. I think there's an empty chair right next to
JAXAshby....

DSK

otnmbrd

It's mainly a question of what you have to work with and what you get
used to doing.
Even if you only have one or two feet to spare, if you can learn to use
those one or two feet, in time, it will feel easy.
My sympathy goes to the boater who only gets to boat on weekends for a
few months a year .... no matter how good they are or how good they get,
they'll always be in a stronger learning curve than the person doing it
frequently all week and all year .... watch some lobsterman or fisherman
who goes out daily. In a high percentage of cases, around a dock,
they'll be a pure pleasure to watch.

otn

The Carrolls wrote:
I get a 30' out with 35 ' clearance all the time, several times a week.
wrote in message

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
hlink.net...

LOL If you guys are worried about 40'-50' clearances, I'd hate to see
what you'll be like when things get close. ...... course, in Neal's
case, doubt he could work around any docks .... probably why he's at a
mooring (anchors as close as he can, then hops into his dingy and runs a
line to his mooring)

otn

C'mon, be fair.

Getting a 33 ft boat out of a berth when there is only 40 ft behind her,

is

not easy.

Regards

Donal

otnmbrd

DSK wrote:

In harbors the world over. I mean everywhere, We all know where they put
Multi-Hulls. on the very end slips of finger piers or bouyed mooring.

The Captains Nemesis wrote:
Interesting.
Here the cats tend to be deep into the marinas (other than casuals)
because they have the ability to turn in there own length under power

No doubt that cats under power with wide spaced twin engines are very
maneuverable under power.

Let's face facts; a Multi trying to manouver ( Over even making a simple
turn in tight quarters) is not a pretty thing. Even under power.

Skilled hands make light work under power. Juggling thrust can walk a
cat sideways and maneuver in ways that monos can only dream.

I'd like to see that. Theory suggests that with small props & rudders, prop
walk and kick aren't going to move it sideways much. In practice??

Interesting .... I'd have thought the opposite.
Since "walking" is highly dependent on rudder power and most sailboats
tend to have better than average power in this area and a "cat" doesn't
tend to have a great deal of wetted area and or windage (exceptions
noted), I'd have guess them to be good candidates for "walking".

otn

DSK

otnmbrd wrote:
Interesting .... I'd have thought the opposite.
Since "walking" is highly dependent on rudder power and most sailboats
tend to have better than average power in this area and a "cat" doesn't
tend to have a great deal of wetted area and or windage (exceptions
noted), I'd have guess them to be good candidates for "walking".

Possibly so, cats do tend to have bigger rudders than motorboats intended for the
same speed range. But they have much smaller motors & props, and greater
resistance to turning. Just guessing here, it does seem to me that they wouldn't
'walk' as much. Maybe I'm wrong, it's happened before....

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

otnmbrd

G Just guessing here, also.
I'd be less worried about the props and engines, than the rudders, and
since the props will be relatively well spaced, what they'd lose in
power, they make up for in spacing and normally in a walking maneuver
you tend to have to keep your engine power down, so as not to "override"
your rudder power.

otn

otnmbrd wrote:
Interesting .... I'd have thought the opposite.
Since "walking" is highly dependent on rudder power and most sailboats
tend to have better than average power in this area and a "cat" doesn't
tend to have a great deal of wetted area and or windage (exceptions
noted), I'd have guess them to be good candidates for "walking".

Possibly so, cats do tend to have bigger rudders than motorboats intended for the
same speed range. But they have much smaller motors & props, and greater
resistance to turning. Just guessing here, it does seem to me that they wouldn't
'walk' as much. Maybe I'm wrong, it's happened before....

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Simple Simon

Walking and rudder power are intmately related.

Walking is more a natural function of how a propeller works
that has to be counteracted by a rudder to keep it from
having its way.

For example, you are aboard a right-handed single screw
vessel with headway on. The engine is put full astern and
the rudder hard left. The bow will first swing to the left and
the swing to the right as the vessel loses way.

The swing of the bow to the left is a function of rudder control
while the swing to the right as the vessel loses way is caused
by the prop walk overcoming the effects of the rudder because
of the decreased speed and decreased rudder control.

I hope this helps.

S.Simon.