otnmbrd

Default Inherently beautiful.

G Just guessing here, also.
I'd be less worried about the props and engines, than the rudders, and
since the props will be relatively well spaced, what they'd lose in
power, they make up for in spacing and normally in a walking maneuver
you tend to have to keep your engine power down, so as not to "override"
your rudder power.

otn

DSK wrote:

.... Theory suggests that with small props & rudders, prop
walk and kick aren't going to move it sideways much. In practice??

otnmbrd wrote:
Interesting .... I'd have thought the opposite.
Since "walking" is highly dependent on rudder power and most sailboats
tend to have better than average power in this area and a "cat" doesn't
tend to have a great deal of wetted area and or windage (exceptions
noted), I'd have guess them to be good candidates for "walking".

Possibly so, cats do tend to have bigger rudders than motorboats intended for the
same speed range. But they have much smaller motors & props, and greater
resistance to turning. Just guessing here, it does seem to me that they wouldn't
'walk' as much. Maybe I'm wrong, it's happened before....

Fresh Breezes- Doug King