otnmbrd

Default Inherently beautiful.

Capt. Mooron wrote:

Do you think you could maneuver as handily in a full keeled sailboat with no
engine in an area like that or are you addressing this to dual screws and
bow thrusters??

Yup, used to do it all the time, back when I owned a sailboat ....
always got a kick out of it, when all went well.

Until you can competently maneuver a boat under sail in tight areas....
making a claim of ability based on power driven propulsion falls short of
having any bearing on the subject at hand. I've had the helm on some fairly
large motor boats in my life and none proved to be very difficult to
maneuver or place to a dock in any conditions. [ Okay so maybe 90 ft boats
and ferries with a barge attached aren't that big to you.... they're big to

CM

I was sticking to the subject at hand. My 26' Contessa, sailed and
maneuvered very nicely, under working jib, in close quarters.

As for large ships (500'-800') 50 foot is the minimum clearance I try
for, but frequently I have to watch the tug clearance, since I may have
to "fold" them alongside at times, until they have room to work.

otn

ink.net...