Thom Stewart

Default Inherently beautiful.

Donal,

Sounds like my Slip. 2 boats per slip with 45 ft water ways. I'm slip 40
of 100. When I sail in I have to sail past my slip. tack from the far
side and curve back into my Starboard side. Going out? depends on the
Tide. If it pushes the stern to Port; all well. I back out with Main up.
As soon as I start turning board to the wind, I have to harden up before
the bow clears so that leeway doesn't carry me across the water way
into the other finger pier. I sail out on Main only.

If Tide pushes stern to st-brd, as Simian says, I'm a power boater. I've
been known to back out those 30 piers to the channel and depending on
traffic, I may clear the harbor before I rise Sail.

There is a very common, stupid, sight on race night of the Etchell fleet
with a crew sitting on the pointy end with a paddle working like hell to
get out into the channel to pass a tow rope to a sailboat under power to
get to the race course for their start time. It isn't one of those
romantic sights of sailing you hear about from S. SIMIAN.

OT