CaptMP

Default BAYLINER BASHERS..

Said:"....replace
plastic through-hulls with bronze...and rewire with tinned copper
wiring...and restitch with doubled up Gore-tex stitching...and replace
rotted bulkhead walls with Starboard or Marine ply...and then you'd have a
Sea-Ray not a Bayliner.

Well let's see here...
1) Plastic (actually nylon) fittings don't react electrically with anything.
So no galvanic corrosion, etc.
2) My boat has Anchor brand tinned wiring..?
3)No such thing as GORE-TEX *STICHING* (doubled up or other wise..check their
web site..it's a fabric, not a thread).
4)While MARINE grade plywood is nice (more laminations per inch of thickness,
no voids) it's still wood, glued together with waterproof glue, just like
exterior grade ply, and will definitely rot! Could you name me a boat that
uses "Starboard" (your term) for bulkhead wallls? With more proof then your
word.
If SeaRay built the kind of WA Cuddy fishing boat I wanted (even though they
also have Zamark rail fittings) I might have bought one. They don't, and I
didn't.
Like my Trophy 2052 though!
Mike
DSK

CaptMP wrote:
Well let's see here...
1) Plastic (actually nylon) fittings don't react electrically with anything.
So no galvanic corrosion, etc.
2) My boat has Anchor brand tinned wiring..?
3)No such thing as GORE-TEX *STICHING* (doubled up or other wise..check their
web site..it's a fabric, not a thread).
4)While MARINE grade plywood is nice (more laminations per inch of thickness,
no voids) it's still wood, glued together with waterproof glue, just like
exterior grade ply, and will definitely rot! Could you name me a boat that
uses "Starboard" (your term) for bulkhead wallls? With more proof then your
word.

There are a number of boats that use a structural composite for
bulkheads... popular on high dollar racing sailboats these days is a
Nomex honeycomb sandwich. But your basic point, that NOBBY doesn't know
WTF he's talking about, is a given.

DSK

Gould 0738

...and replace bow rails and deck hardware with 316 stainless...and replace
plastic through-hulls with bronze...

Were marelon through hulls around 25 years ago?

.and rewire with tinned copper
wiring..

"The only reason your boat hasn't fallen apart is that it is in fresh water"

Do the wires hold a boat together in FLA?
Would you replace circuits that had not failed in 25 years simply because they
might in the future?

.and restitch with doubled up Gore-tex stitching...

"The only reason your boat hasn't fallen apart is that it has been in fresh
water"

Few 25 year old boats have the original cushions and upholstery. You are
absolutely right, you can (and will) restitch with anything you like.

..and replace
rotted bulkhead walls with Starboard or Marine ply...

"The only reason your boat hasn't fallen apart is that it has been in fresh
water."

Rotted bulkheads (walls) are not endemic on older Bayliners. I wouldn't say
they are unheard of, but you will find them spread throughout a wide spectrum
of boats at this age. Usually caused by fresh water.
Guess the OP is just doubly lucky.

NOYB

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

So a 15 year old Yugo is a great car as long as it's frame is intact? You're
in used boat/car salesman mode, Chuck.

There is more to a boat than it's hull...and I never implied that the hull
would have failed quicker if it were used in sal****er.

Gould 0738

So a 15 year old Yugo is a great car as long as it's frame is intact? You're
in used boat/car salesman mode, Chuck.

There is more to a boat than it's hull...and I never implied that the hull
would have failed quicker if it were used in sal****er.

How would you define "fall apart"?

There is no doubt that Bayliner wasn't building the best available boats 25
years ago. Few would say that Bayliner builds the "best" available boats today.
I certainly would not.

What has happened over the years is that
non-boating dock gossips and competing
sales people have painted a picture of Bayliner that is worse than the boat
actually deserves. Those who are predisposed to believe the worst about every
thing and everybody clamor the loudest about the deck hardware, the threads in
the upholstery, etc.

In spite of the fact that "everybody knows" a new Bayliner will be worthless
piece of
totalled junk in just a few years, "everybody knows" the hull is likely to
split in half and drown your family underway, "everybody knows" the boats are
unsuited to any water with anything more severe than a ripple on the surface,
and all the other things "everybody knows"...........somebody forgot to tell
the boats!

In this neck of the woods, older Bayliners are everywhere. The older boats were
not built as well as the newer Bayliners (and the newer Bayliners are not built
as well, in some respects, as more expensive competing brands), yet they
continue to provide good service in a sal****er environment where a typical
summer afternoon involves a steep, short period, 1-2 foot chop. Worse weather
brings worse water, and we still don't see Bayliners splitting down the keel,
losing transoms,
or suffering the sudden, catastrophic failures that the most energetic bashers
imply are commonplace.

Notice that the OP didn't pull a Stan the Mann on the NG and claim that his
boat was "far superior" to most others, just remarked that in spite of the
constant bashing and disparaging remarks about Bayliner his boat continues to
give good service after a many, many years.

His experience is not all that unusual.
(You can counter with a horror story of an abused and beat up old Bayliner if
you like, I didn't say that you can't ruin a boat
with neglect or misuse).

Another factor that makes Bayliner the butt of so many jokes is that it has
traditionally been a popular choice for newbies. Those same newbies make the
same stupid mistakes that they'd make if they had purchased any other boat
instead, but we see more of those goof-ups in a Bayliner than in other boats
due to the sheer numbers sold. It becomes easy to stereotype anybody owning a
Bayliner as an inexperienced rookie, and the logical extension is that if they
had "known better" they would have purchased another brand. The logical
extension supports that position that the boats must be dramatically
substandard....and so it goes.

Some of those rookies must be very slow learners. Bayliner enjoys an owner
loyalty
that most other brands would kill for. (Insert old saw: "The owner loyalty is
because you'll be thrown off any other dealer's lot if you show up with a used
Bayliner to trade in....they would rather pass on your business than make any
money on a customer who previously bought a Bayliner"....here)

basskisser

"NOYB" wrote in message news:LpWdnVy8Qq-xoiDdRVn-
...and replace bow rails and deck hardware with 316 stainless...and replace
plastic through-hulls with bronze

Of course, so you can have that electrolytic action going for you, so
that you can replace those fittings every couple of years. Why would
you use plastic, that lasts for years and years. It's 2004, synthetic
materials are a great thing.
and restitch with doubled up Gore-tex stitching...

What to HELL is Gore-Tex stitching???
NOYB

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
"NOYB" wrote in message news:LpWdnVy8Qq-xoiDdRVn-
...and replace bow rails and deck hardware with 316 stainless...and

replace
plastic through-hulls with bronze

Of course, so you can have that electrolytic action going for you, so
that you can replace those fittings every couple of years. Why would
you use plastic, that lasts for years and years. It's 2004, synthetic
materials are a great thing.

Plastics are still inferior to bronze when used below the waterline...no
matter what you think.

and restitch with doubled up Gore-tex stitching...

What to HELL is Gore-Tex stitching???

http://www.ez2cy.com/other_enclosures/e_printable.html

Here's an excerpt:
"At about the same time, GORE-TEX thread (now known as TENARA) was
introduced in a strength compatible for the rigors of a marine enclosure and
promised to change the weakest link into the longest lasting component used
in the enclosure."

Feel stupid, bassie?

BTW--did you google up a thread yet where I said that our invasion in Iraq
had nothing to do with oil? LOL. I didn't think so.

Paul Schilter

CaptMP,
I checked Gore-Tex's web site, http://www.gore.com/creative/tanara.html
, it listed thread as one of their products. Gore-tex is a fabric, but it's
made from a thread, gore-tex thread.
Paul

[...]

Paul Schilter

basskisser,
See, http://www.gore.com/creative/tanara.html , I would think it's using
gore-tex thread to stitch a cushion together as opposed to say nylon thread.
Paul

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
"NOYB" wrote in message news:LpWdnVy8Qq-xoiDdRVn-
...and replace bow rails and deck hardware with 316 stainless...and

replace
plastic through-hulls with bronze

Of course, so you can have that electrolytic action going for you, so
that you can replace those fittings every couple of years. Why would
you use plastic, that lasts for years and years. It's 2004, synthetic
materials are a great thing.
and restitch with doubled up Gore-tex stitching...

What to HELL is Gore-Tex stitching???

NOYB

"Paul Schilter" paulschilter@comcast,dot,net wrote in message
basskisser,
See, http://www.gore.com/creative/tanara.html , I would think it's

using
gore-tex thread to stitch a cushion together as opposed to say nylon

thread.

Grin bassie's silence is deafening.

Beginner's questions/'91 Bayliner 17' Chris Deruyte General 11 February 3rd 04 12:02 AM
New one on me - Laminate Flooring Black-n-Gold General 117 October 16th 03 06:50 PM
Bayliner 2858 Command bridge (1987) Manitoumagic General 4 September 2nd 03 12:23 AM
Bayliner Bashing JML General 8 August 5th 03 01:04 PM
'89 Bayliner 2.3 Engine puked Rpk General 1 July 22nd 03 11:06 PM