Chris Deruyte

Default Beginner's questions/'91 Bayliner 17'

I have come across a 1991 Bayliner 1700 Capri in what appears to be (and the
owner [original] claims is) a total of 40 to 60 hours use since new. It is
in very good condition, and has been garaged for at least five years. He
says he ran the engine every few months (with water), and at first glance it
looks pretty darn good. The only options are an aftermarket fish finder and
the bimini top. (He'll throw in a couple of water skis and a knee board.) I
could buy it for a little under three thousand dollars.
It has an open bow, four seats that fold into two 'beds', and a 70 hp Force
engine - pretty much the stock, basic Capri - the only 17' model in '91 -
the other models were 18' and larger.
Is there a source for an owner's manual? Other than a safe boater's class,
what's a good way to learn proper boating procedures (launch techniques,
water draining, all the stuff a complete novice has no idea about)?
Is this too much boat for a single person to handle at launch? (It comes
with the basic stock trailer.)
Is it realistic to tow with a 4-cylinder Toyota 2wd truck? (It weighs 1,040
pounds.)
The owner claims it will use about a gallon of fuel per hour - that the two
6 gallon tanks will last a weekend. Is this realistic?
What I'm looking for is an all-around boat for exploring and fishing in
lakes and rivers, maybe water skiing in the future.
Should I look for something smaller, say, a humble aluminum fishing boat
with a smaller motor for a first rig?
Will regulations governing 2-cycle engines force an engine replacement in a
couple years? A replacement engine could easily cost more than a replacement
boat!

Thank you all in advance!

Lloyd Sumpter

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 09:38:15 +0000, Gene Kearns wrote:

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 01:11:59 -0800, "Chris Deruyte" Chris
wrote:

I have come across a 1991 Bayliner 1700 Capri in what appears to be (and the
owner [original] claims is) a total of 40 to 60 hours use since new. It is in
very good condition, and has been garaged for at least five years. He says he
ran the engine every few months (with water), and at first glance it looks
pretty darn good. The only options are an aftermarket fish finder and the
bimini top. (He'll throw in a couple of water skis and a knee board.) I could
buy it for a little under three thousand dollars.

A bit high, I think. Nada puts the value of motor/boat/trailer at $2090 for low
retail and $2580 for average retail.

Maybe a better question than price is, "Will this boat meet your needs?" If so,
I'd get the boat and motor checked out and if all proves sound start
negotiations at an amount toward the lower part of the range... see who blinks
first.

Bear in mind that things don't necessarily improve with age... even with low
usage.

If it's your first boat, I wouldn't worry too much about if it will "fit your
needs" - chances are it won't. But you'll get a much better idea of what your
needs ARE if you get out on the water.

I personally don't believe in forcing the seller to give you "the best deal"
- offer him what you think it's worth. In this case, I think it's largely a
question of "how much money can I throw away if this boat ends up garbage, or it
turns out I just don't like boating?"

As for your other questions: First, I'll second everyone else's suggestion to
take a Safe Boating Course (not sure where you'd find info of it in the States -
here, you can contact the Coast Guard or Power Squadron).

Launching is mostly Practice (in a deserted parking lot is good...), and
there are some websites that offer guides (try google?) Your truck might pull it
OK - it's near the upper limit for that vehicle. Fine if you're just running
from your house to the local ramp.

A smaller boat will be easier to tow and launch, but the larger boat allows
more options once on the water (carries more people, has the bimini for water
protection, more comfortable, can ski behind...). Again, depends on how much you
can afford.

Lloyd Sumpter
"The Tin Boat" Mirrocraft 12

Clams Canino

Hi!

As a very general rule a two strike outboard will burn about 10% of it's
rated HP at WOT as expressed in GPH.

So I'd expect it to burn 7gph at full throttle. Much less at lower speeds.

A safe boater course is the best bet. I'd think your truck can haul it
around if you're carefull.

2 cycle engines are regulated from lake to lake - I don't see them going
away soon though.

-W

"Chris Deruyte" Chris wrote in message
[...]

Christopher Robin

Is this too much boat for a single person to handle at launch? (It comes
with the basic stock trailer.)

Very easy with a little practice.

Is it realistic to tow with a 4-cylinder Toyota 2wd truck? (It weighs 1,040
pounds.)

Get the owner's manual for the truck, it will tell you the towing
capacity. It's boat weight plus trailer weight. Don't violate the
capacity, you'll run out of brakes and overheat the transmission.

Will regulations governing 2-cycle engines force an engine replacement in a
couple years? A replacement engine could easily cost more than a replacement
boat!

The existing two-strokers will be grandfather in.

Harry Krause

Clams Canino wrote:

Hi!

As a very general rule a two strike outboard will burn about 10% of it's
rated HP at WOT as expressed in GPH.

You gotta watch out for those three strike outboards,
though...Scott-A****er, Homelite, Marlin, et cetera...all three-strikers.

--
Email sent to is never read.

Chris Deruyte

Thank you all for your responses. I have heard that in 2006, 2 cycle motors
will be banned in California lakes, but not rivers. Any truth to this? Where
could accurate info on this issue be found?

New one on me - Laminate Flooring Black-n-Gold General 117 October 16th 03 06:50 PM
'84 28' Bayliner Contessa point loma General 3 October 3rd 03 05:36 PM
Bayliner 2858 Command bridge (1987) Manitoumagic General 4 September 2nd 03 12:23 AM
Bayliner Bashing JML General 8 August 5th 03 01:04 PM
FS: 1989 Bayliner 2955 Avanti Sundbridge Cruiser!! JohnH General 1 July 29th 03 01:59 AM