Black-n-Gold

Default New one on me - Laminate Flooring

Saw a boat for sale last night - a 1977 Bayliner - that the owner had just
installed laminate flooring on. Looks very cool, however I don't know how
practical it is.

Harry Krause

Black-n-Gold wrote:

Saw a boat for sale last night - a 1977 Bayliner - that the owner had just
installed laminate flooring on. Looks very cool, however I don't know how
practical it is.

The boat or the flooring?

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

RG

"Black-n-Gold" wrote in message
Saw a boat for sale last night - a 1977 Bayliner - that the owner had just
installed laminate flooring on. Looks very cool, however I don't know how
practical it is.

I have it in my dining room at home. It's quite durable, but any standing
liquid is supposed to be wiped up right away. Makes me wonder how practical
it would be in a boat. I guess that would depend if the boat is likely to
have people in wet swimsuits standing on it and dripping water on it. I
assume it is installed in an enclosed cabin or salon of some sort? If so,
it might work out OK.

RG

"Jack Rye" .# wrote in message
Laminate flooring will work great until they go inside and change their

wet
suits for dry cloths leaving them on the floor. LOL

That's sort of what I was driving at. But, if the boat is used in the
northern climes where nobody ever gets in the water, maybe it would work out
OK.

Greg O

"Black-n-Gold" wrote in message
Saw a boat for sale last night - a 1977 Bayliner - that the owner had just
installed laminate flooring on. Looks very cool, however I don't know how
practical it is.

It's a Bayliner! It will never leave the driveway! ;-)
Greg

jps

Sounds like a cheap fix to me. One mistake and there goes the floor. That
stuff swells like MDF if I remember correctly.

Not to bash Bayliners but laminte flooring is inferior to even their factory
specs, and that takes some consideration.

"Black-n-Gold" wrote in message
Saw a boat for sale last night - a 1977 Bayliner - that the owner had just
installed laminate flooring on. Looks very cool, however I don't know how
practical it is.

Paul

Yeah, weird. Wonder if he was covering up something with the new floor?

I have seen some laminate flooring that is supposed to be okay to be used in
bathrooms and basements. I wonder though, I mean carpet is easy to rip out
and replace and it's relatively cheap. Flooring like that is glued down
isn't it? It would be a nightmare to remove I would think.

But it might hold up fine. The carpet in our cabin is original from 1989 and
except for a couple of stains it seems perfectly fine.

"Black-n-Gold" wrote in message
Saw a boat for sale last night - a 1977 Bayliner - that the owner had just
installed laminate flooring on. Looks very cool, however I don't know how
practical it is.

Floyd in Tampa

The installation instructions for the flooring probably says to glue the
planks together to prevent any water damage, even if you're using the new
snap-lock type. One would assume that in a boat this would be done. I
have spilled a lot of water in my kitchen with no problems on the laminate
flooring. I did leave a bit of water on my den floor for a couple of
minutes, and there is some swelling along the seam, since it wasn't glued in
that room.

Bob D.

Ahhh yes, yet another Mensa candidate dribbles out his words of wit and
wisdom using his intellectual superpowers in spotting the word "Bayliner".

Seriously, I second what someone else said about using that laminate to
cover up a bigger problem. I also question the durability of this
material's application in a marine environment. It might be advisable to
look elsewhere.

Another word of advice... Don't be a narrow minded twit like Alfalfa,
Spank Me, and the rest of the OGHMBHC (Our Gang He Man Bayliner Haters
Club). Use an open mind and common sense when looking at a boat, instead
of letting a brand name determine what used boat to buy. Don't overlook
a properly cared for Bayliner just because its a Bayliner. Conversely,
don't expect a Sea Ray or Wellcraft to be a better value on name alone.
Let the boat's condition speak for itself. If two boats of different
brand names are similar in condition, specifications, and price, then IMHO
its a judgement call, as I have yet to see anyone offer any significant
empirical data, even significant anectdotal evidence, that any boat of a
given brand name is clearly superior or inferior to another brand name,
when factoring in things like initial cost, and care.

I have no doubt that you will find some Bayliners that are indeed a POS,
but that can easily be said for any boat that was neglected by its
previous owner.

Good Luck in your search!

Bob Dimond