Manitoumagic

Default Bayliner 2858 Command bridge (1987)

A Bayliner 2858 Cammander Bridge equipped wih a single engine OMC 460 seem
to be a good choice for my needs.

Is it funny to drive a flying bridge ?

....I find that a Flying bridge gives you a MUCH better view all-around and that
it's actually easier to pilot from there vs a lower bridge. The single engine,
28ft Bayliner you mention might be a little harder to manuever in windy/current
docking conditions, flybridge or not.... the bridge WILL have more of a 'sail'
effect in windy conditions.

A single engine is it enough for a 28th feet ?

....See above, but power-wise, yes.

caracteristic when it's windy.

....See above...

DaveH

I also agree about the low-speed maneuverability advantage of twins. Being
able to select forward and reverse independently is very important in
difficult docking situations. The only time a flybridge gets uncomfortable
is in heavy seas. Being higher up magnifies the effect of the boat rocking
around.

"Manitoumagic" wrote in message
A Bayliner 2858 Cammander Bridge equipped wih a single engine OMC 460

seem
to be a good choice for my needs.

Is it funny to drive a flying bridge ?

...I find that a Flying bridge gives you a MUCH better view all-around and

that
it's actually easier to pilot from there vs a lower bridge. The single

engine,
28ft Bayliner you mention might be a little harder to manuever in

windy/current
docking conditions, flybridge or not.... the bridge WILL have more of a

'sail'
effect in windy conditions.

A single engine is it enough for a 28th feet ?

...See above, but power-wise, yes.

caracteristic when it's windy.

...See above...

Manitoumagic

The only time a flybridge gets uncomfortable
is in heavy seas. Being higher up magnifies the effect of the boat rocking
around.

Agreed, but I believe the boat the original poster mentions has a lower helm as
well (My Silverton does)... in inclement weather, that's where you'll find me,
unless close quarters or other conditions force me topside.

I've aways thought it a travesty that in recent years it's become commonplace
to build larger flybridge boats with no lower station... especially when you
consider the prices paid for these boats today.
CaptMP

When conditions are good you want to be on the flybridge.
When conditions are bad you NEED to be on the flybridge.
A single screw is harder to dock, but it can be done and offers the economy of
less fuel usage and half the maint.
I have heard the old saw about reliability of twin engines, but usually the
engines share a common fuel supply and as bad (or no) fuel causes most of the
trouble I feel OK with a single.
God luck!
Mike
Eisboch

Manitoumagic wrote in message
The only time a flybridge gets uncomfortable
is in heavy seas. Being higher up magnifies the effect of the boat

rocking
around.

Agreed, but I believe the boat the original poster mentions has a lower

helm as
well (My Silverton does)... in inclement weather, that's where you'll find

me,
unless close quarters or other conditions force me topside.

I've aways thought it a travesty that in recent years it's become

commonplace
to build larger flybridge boats with no lower station... especially when

you
consider the prices paid for these boats today.

Tee hee hee hee .... ya gotta be kidding ....

Eisboch