Bill

Default BAYLINER BASHERS..

Oh.... well, this is obviously a troll, but since it does pertain to
boats and doesn't mention republicans, democrats, bush, clarke,
liberals, or conservatives, I'll bite.

I'm not interested in Bayliners. Thanks for the memories, though.

"Not interested in Bayliners". Harry I thought you Owned two of them don't
you. Sorry Guys I didn't mean to drag down a Bayliner Boat by putting Harry
and Bayliners in the same sentence. Their is nothing wrong with a Bayliner
Boat. Remember you get what you pay for. For a nice cheap boat for a first
timer it could be OK. I have seen some nice ones on the river.

Bill

Ron M.

HEYYYYY, it's time to break out the old "Bayliner Observations."
Let's see... (blows off dust, coughs...)

Now, NONE of these represent my personal or subjective opinions. These
are objective, factual, empirical observations I've made over 40-plus
years of boating experience. OK?

1. I've been boating for over 40 years, and know many boat mechanics
personally. Independent mechanics, not dealership mechanics. Guys that
work on every boat made, all day, every day. Without exception, they
say Bayliners are "cheaply made."

2. I remember looking at a 21' Trophy cuddy cabin in a Bayliner
showroom. I pressed the tip of my forefinger against the side, and the
outer layer of fiberglass moved in and out about 1/4 an inch. Try this
with a good boat, like a Mako or Grady or my 1993 Robalo - thump it
with the heel of your hand; it feels like concrete slab. I'm serious:
that's not an exaggeration.

3. BOATING magazine reviewed a Bayliner runabout a few years back.
They described its construction as "flimsy."

4. EVERY time I see some dickhead thumping across the lake with his
fenders bouncing wildly around the hull, he's in a Bayliner. Why is
this? There must be a reason.

5. I live at a large recreational lake (about 30,000 acres), and know
most of the local marina owners and operators, and often take a break
and watch their customers come and go. Usually, when somebody pulls
up to the gas pumps, the gas boys jump up and help them tie off, step
onto the dock, pump their gas, etc. But many, many times I've seen
the guy in a Bayliner (usually the guy in #4 above) pull up, and the
gas boys just sit there talking, like he was invisible.

6. I know many, many major boat dealers, especially along the Texas
coast, who refuse to take Bayliners as tradeins. Interestingly, they
all give the same reasons:
1. We don't want them on our lot. We can't have a bunch of
cheap old Bayliners sitting
there next to these "nice" boats. It just makes the whole
place look cheap.
2. Customers have trouble with them, then blame us for
"selling them a bad boat."
3. They cost too much to get sale-ready. Somebody brings in a
used Bayliner, and you have
to replace just about everything on it.

I also know a number of used boat dealers who will buy just about any
boat made, to sit on their lots for resale: EXCEPT a Bayliner. "We
just can't sell'em," they all say. "Who's gonna walk in here, walk
past all these nice boats and spend eight thousand dollars on some
beat-up, old P.O.S. Bayliner?"

7. When I go down to the Texas coast, I usually launch around the
public docks, where thousands of Trophy-class boats are docked: 18-25
foot center consoles and cuddies. Yet, I will not see ONE SINGLE
TROPHY, even though big Bayliner dealerships are nearby. I asked some
local fishing guides if any of them used Trophys, and they said,
laughing out loud, "No way. When somebody shells out $500 for a
professional fishing trip, they don't want to go out in a Bayliner."

8. Even though it's marketed as a rough-and-tough offshore, bluewater
fishing boat, Sal****er Sportsman described a Bayliner Trophy as
"excellent for sheltered or inshore waters."

Now, I fully expect Skipper to rise from the grave...

Ron M.
Don White

Ron M. wrote in message
om...
snip
Now, I fully expect Skipper to rise from the grave...

Ron M.

Yes..at times like this we miss the old Skipper. Always wondered if he's
hiding in here under another handle...or if he realized the jig is
up...with no boat, or prospect of getting one, what's the purpose.
On the other hand, he could be like some other non-boaters and login just to
harass real boaters.

Gould 0738

Two suggestions:

1. Check Ron's story by poking the hull of a Trophy and comparing it to the
hull of any other similarly sized boat. See if it flexes 1/4 inch more, (in
relatively the same spot), or not.

2. Check Ron's story by running an advanced search for Bayliner in Texas on
Yachtworld.com. See if any of the brokers and dealers in Texas deal in used
Bayliners, or not.

Then decide if his annual troll consists of:

objective, factual, empirical observations

or not.

Bayliner is not the world's best boat. By any standard. But it is more than
adequately safe and serviceable for conditions encountered by many casual,
weekend, boaters.

Those who need a more stoutly built boat should buy one. There are any number
to choose from. Some guy who wants to chase a few fish around a lake, do some
weekend boat camping, or drag a tuber around on 4th of July weekend doesn't
need a 90,000 pound transoceanic trawler. For many casual, fair weather boaters
(who may be caught temporarily in foul) on the majority of US waters, Bayliner
is an acceptable choice. In some cases, it may even be the best choice. In
others, not at all. Let's hope that the folks who should buy something else do,
but it's pure BS to insist that *everybody* should buy something else.

Bayliner enjoys some extreme owner loyalty. Most of the used Bayliners are at
Bayliner dealers. Some would say that's because once you buy a Bayliner, you're
condemned for all time to own nothing else since no other dealer will take it
on trade or represent it as a brokerage boat.
Once again, yachtworld.com. Facts speak louder than allegations.

What is it with people who are so insecure in their own choices that they must
ridicule
others, who are doing them no harm, for making a different choice?

As far as the claims about the "boat mechanics" all trashing Bayliner.....I
remain to be convinced that a well maintained Mercruiser in a Bayliner won't
provide similarly reliable service with a well maintained Mercruiser in a
Cobalt, Tiara,
or what not. Bayliner builds the hull.....the same people that everybody else
buys engines, outdrives, etc from provide the mechanicals.

Here's where Harry chimes in and confirms, based on his own
objective, factual, empirical observations I've made over 40-plus
years of boating experience.

that Ron is indeed correct. Same thing every year about this time. Take it
away, Harry............ :-)

(The more things change, the more they remain the same)

Jay

Yes..at times like this we miss the old Skipper. Always wondered if he's
hiding in here under another handle...or if he realized the jig is
up...with no boat, or prospect of getting one, what's the purpose.
On the other hand, he could be like some other non-boaters and login just

harass real boaters.

or the poor political monkeys : p

-j

Bob D.

In article , "Gene Kearns"
wrote:

Of course you realize that much of the Bayliner Bashing was directed
at a poster that felt Bayliner Super-Excellent, and everybody else
bought something old tech and overpriced.

Best lesson is to buy a boat suited to your waters and enjoy whatever
you got that floats. I know I got a LOT of pleasure from those
college tubing days when all we had was a cooler that floated and an
inner tube......

--

Amen.
Lloyd Sumpter

One of my best memories was the day I was backing it off the trailer at a 3-lane
ramp at a resevoir near my home. A beautiful woman sitting in a newer Baja next
to me looked over and mentioned I had a "beautiful boat" and then turned to her
husband/boyfriend/whatever and commented that " I wish we had one like that".

Now THAT's funny!

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Beginner's questions/'91 Bayliner 17' Chris Deruyte General 11 February 3rd 04 12:02 AM
New one on me - Laminate Flooring Black-n-Gold General 117 October 16th 03 06:50 PM
Bayliner 2858 Command bridge (1987) Manitoumagic General 4 September 2nd 03 12:23 AM
Bayliner Bashing JML General 8 August 5th 03 01:04 PM
'89 Bayliner 2.3 Engine puked Rpk General 1 July 22nd 03 11:06 PM