Keith

Default Manual marine head

I've got two of them that I installed 18 months ago and they've done nothing
but perform perfectly. Sounds to me more like sour grapes of some variety.

--

Keith
__
"aunty" wrote in message
We've gone through this before in this newsgroup - the PH-II is a
poorly designed plastic toilet - that squirts liquid sewage out
through the "water lubricated" top seal - into your face when you bend
over to flush it. snip

Jere Lull

In article ,
"Ytter" wrote:

Hi everybody!
I am in a process of refitting my head/shower area on my sailboat.
I want to change head for something reliable,manual,not terribly
expensive.I'm thinking of Raritan's Cricket,but do not have any opinion or
experience.Is it possible to get your feedback on this important topic.

We got one a few years back and like it, but it is a bit different than
the Compact it replaced and the Pars we've used on other boats. If we
had a lot of guests, I think I'd prefer the PH or Compact, but for the
two of us, the Cricket has definite advantages. Check the cost of a
rebuild kit.

--
Jere Lull
Lew Hodgett

"Ytter" writes:

I am in a process of refitting my head/shower area on my sailboat.
I want to change head for something reliable,manual,not terribly
expensive.

snip

Lavac, it has no equal, IMHO.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Peggie Hall

Jere Lull wrote:
I am in a process of refitting my head/shower area on my sailboat.
I want to change head for something reliable,manual,not terribly
expensive.I'm thinking of Raritan's Cricket...

We got one a few years back and like it, but it is a bit different than
the Compact it replaced and the Pars we've used on other boats.

Yep...instead of the piston/cylinder pump sitting beside the bowl, the
Cricket has a diaphragm pump located directly below the bowl...no moving
parts.

If we
had a lot of guests, I think I'd prefer the PH or Compact, but for the
two of us, the Cricket has definite advantages. Check the cost of a
rebuild kit.

It's not really a rebuild kit, it's a whole new pump except for the
housing. Unlike piston/cylinder pumps, the Cricket doesn't have any
seals, o-rings, gaskets etc--the parts in the usual "rebuild kit"...so
it doesn't require "rebuilding" in the usual sense. In fact, it doesn't
even need lubrication. A kit is needed only as often as any other toilet
would need a whole new pump assembly. So the price for it should really
be compared to the prices of a new pump assemblies for other toilets,
not rebuild kits.
--
Peggie
----------

On Tue, 30 Mar 04, 8:47am, Peggie wrote:
A kit is needed only as often as any other toilet
would need a whole new pump assembly.

How often might that be? ... say, for an average weekender with
minimal usage. And wouldn't something like that be better for an "over
the side" guy instead of a head with gaskets, o-rings, seals etc that
fail from lack of use? Since my divorce, my head sees minimal use and
seems to fail only when a guest needs it. ... from lack of use rather
than wearing out.
Rick

On Wed, 31 Mar 04, 8:15pm, Peggie wrote:
Y'all can have all the fun with that one you want to...

No M'am, I wouldn't touch that one with a ten foot ... uh ... never
mind.

Over and out,
Rick
engsol

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:47:23 GMT, Peggie Hall wrote:

good stuff sniped

Peggie, I have a question, kinda related to this thread. I think I've
read/understood that a well "aired" holding tank is the best way
to reduce oders. So, being an engineer, I'm wondering if a two
hose holding tank vent arrangement...one "inlet" and one "outlet",
might work.
The forward hose leads to the bow, the aft hose leads to the
stern. The theory is that there would be constant airflow into,
(and out of) the holding tank. assuming the vents at each end
encouraged such flow.

Is this a stupid idea? If so, please don't tell the others in the
rec.boats.cruising newsgroup....
Norm B
Peggie Hall

Peggie, I have a question, kinda related to this thread. I think I've
read/understood that a well "aired" holding tank is the best way
to reduce oders.

Yep...oxygen is the key to odor elimination.

So, being an engineer, I'm wondering if a two
hose holding tank vent arrangement...one "inlet" and one "outlet",
might work.
The forward hose leads to the bow, the aft hose leads to the
stern.

It would actually work better if both lines went forward...'cuz that
would mean air would be forced into the tank no matter which tack you're
on. Nor does it require two vent lines if the vent line is short enough
( 5') and has a 1" ID...'cuz air forced in has no trouble pushing
gasses in the tank out the same line.

The theory is that there would be constant airflow into,
(and out of) the holding tank. assuming the vents at each end
encouraged such flow.

A line leading aft that's too long wouldn't be under enoug pressure to
get the job done without an inline exhaust fan to help it. You'd
actually be better off with a single 1" short vent.

Is this a stupid idea?

Noooo...not stupid at all! It only proves you're thinking in the right
direction. I'd have to see a diagragm of your installation before I
could tell you what you need to do to make it work.

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Jere Lull

In article ,
Peggie Hall wrote:

Jere Lull wrote:
We got a Cricket a few years back and like it, but it is a bit
[...]

Oh! I didn't know that. That makes me feel better. It's simplicity was a
primary draw. I had gotten tired of lubing and rebuilding every
couple-three years. Guess I should get that kit and vacuum pack it.

It sure seems to have trouble less often, though it took a while to
learn to take long, slow, full-length strokes every time.

If only the wet/dry switch weren't in such an inconvenient location.

--
Jere Lull

replace head on a mercruiser 350 engine Han General 5 June 18th 04 02:59 AM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Manual marine head Peggie Hall Boat Building 27 April 21st 04 10:41 PM
Source for cheap tinned marine battery cable Genuinedealz Boat Building 0 April 21st 04 02:55 PM
Head Gasket on 50 HP 93 Evinrude dp General 2 November 4th 03 12:46 PM