Gould 0738

Default Manual marine head

I use a JABSO manual head.

I used to rebuild the manual head every couple of years, but when the rebuild
kits got to $90 and you can one find of these "BIC lighter" units for just over
$100 when you wait for a sale, it doesn't take any more time to replace the
whole works with a brand new unit and it makes a lot more sense.

Still, you need a rebuild kit in the spares.
Might not be a Worst Marine available when the cheapie head decides to take a
dump of its own.
Peggie Hall

Ytter wrote:
Hi everybody!
I am in a process of refitting my head/shower area on my sailboat.
I want to change head for something reliable,manual,not terribly
expensive.I'm thinking of Raritan's Cricket,but do not have any opinion or
experience.Is it possible to get your feedback on this important topic.

The Cricket is good toilet...but is a "light duty" toilet. For long term
reliability and durability, and especially for serious cruising, the PH
II is a better choice...it's been rated the best manual toilet under
$500 for several decades. If the PH II won't fit in the space, Raritan
now offers the PHC, which is the same pump but on the same base as their
Compact II and costs a little less.

--
Peggie
----------

Peggie Hall

Gould 0738 wrote:
I use a JABSO manual head.

I used to rebuild the manual head every couple of years, but when the
rebuild kits got to $90 and you can one find of these "BIC lighter"
units for just over $100 when you wait for a sale, it doesn't take
any more time to replace the whole works with a brand new unit and it
makes a lot more sense.

Rebuild kits for toilets costing under $500 aren't THAT expensive--the
one for the Jabsco is about $50. And while I wouldn't spend even $50 on
a toilet that can be replaced for $99 either, IMO it makes more sense to
spend about $200 to have a toilet that'll not only last 20-25 years if
it's kept lubricated and rebuilt about every 5-6 years (which is about
the max lifespan of a "disposable") at a cost of under $40 for the kit,
but also has a pump that can "swallow" flushes that would choke the
disposable.

Not only does it make more economic sense, but the disposable is highly
prone to failures of parts that aren't in the rebuild kit...and they
never fail at the dock when you're the only one aboard and have time to
run to the store for a new toilet and install it.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

aunty

We've gone through this before in this newsgroup - the PH-II is a
poorly designed plastic toilet - that squirts liquid sewage out
through the "water lubricated" top seal - into your face when you bend
over to flush it. Do a google newsgroup search in the archives of the
RBC newsgroup for the problems with the crappy PH-II toilets. Peggy
forgets to say she sold her co. to Raritan and then worked for them -
so her recommendations have a taint or bias to them - but why's she's
biased to the crappy PH-II is beyond us.

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 15:58:59 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

Ytter wrote:
Hi everybody!
I am in a process of refitting my head/shower area on my sailboat.
I want to change head for something reliable,manual,not terribly
expensive.I'm thinking of Raritan's Cricket,but do not have any opinion or
experience.Is it possible to get your feedback on this important topic.

The Cricket is good toilet...but is a "light duty" toilet. For long term
reliability and durability, and especially for serious cruising, the PH
II is a better choice...it's been rated the best manual toilet under
$500 for several decades. If the PH II won't fit in the space, Raritan
now offers the PHC, which is the same pump but on the same base as their
Compact II and costs a little less.

Peggie Hall

aunty wrote:
We've gone through this before in this newsgroup...

Yep...and you never use the same identity twice.

Do a google newsgroup search in the archives of the
RBC newsgroup for the problems with the crappy PH-II toilets.

Almost all written by you!

Peggy
forgets to say she sold her co. to Raritan and then worked for them -

I've never hidden it...never will. And I sign my name to my posts.

so her recommendations have a taint or bias to them - but why's she's
biased to the crappy PH-II is beyond us.

If I am biased, so is the entire industry...because the PH II and its
predecessor the PHH have consistently been rated the best manual toilet
under $500 for more than two decades.

But let's talk your own bias... I have nearly 20 years of experience
with literally thousands of owners of just about every toilet ever made,
including a few you've prob'ly never even heard of. How much experience
do you have that would make your bias more valid than any I might have?

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Brian D

That's a lot of poops! Haha. We're glad you're here, Peggie. I figure the
guy had one lousy seal and got a bum squirt (pardon the pun) ...certain to
cause a bad attitude if it hits you in the face (yuk yuk.) We can tell who
to ignore...

Brian

http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
aunty wrote:
[...]

Gould 0738

"Best manual head under $500"?

Might well be........but just as I won't bother rebuilding a toilet where the
price of a new toilet is very close to the extortionary price of the handful of
rubber parts and pieces sold for several dozen dollars, I'd personally look
very closely at a VacuFlush before spending 5 boat bucks on a hand pumper.

Can't you get into a VacuFlush, (with a brother in law deal) somewhere close to
a geezal? No stinky sal****er in the lines,
much longer service on a holding tank of given capacity, something like one
moving part in the toilet itself, no water slopping out of the bowl if somebody
forgets to "dry bowl" after using.....there's a lot to recommend stepping up to
a toilet of that caliber *if* that's where your priorities are.
We're seeing the VacuFlush as a fairly standard item on new boats in the
moderate and higher price categories these days.

Peggie Hall

Gould 0738 wrote:
"Best manual head under $500"?

Might well be........but just as I won't bother rebuilding a toilet
where the price of a new toilet is very close to the extortionary
price of the handful of rubber parts and pieces sold for several
dozen dollars, I'd personally look very closely at a VacuFlush before
spending 5 boat bucks on a hand pumper.

You'd spend upwards of $2k before you'd spend $250?

Can't you get into a VacuFlush, (with a brother in law deal)
somewhere close to a geezal?

I have no idea how much a "geezal" is, but installed price (they have to
install it or your warranty is void) of a VacuFlush is upwards of $2000.
Just the toilet--IF you can find anyone who'll sell it out the door,
'cuz they're only sold by "authorized VacuFlush Service Centers," and
SeaLand will cut 'em loose if they catch 'em doing that--is about $1100.

No stinky sal****er in the lines, much longer service on a holding
tank of given capacity,

Almost every toilet mfr--including Jabsco--now makes at least one model
that offer the same benefits and more for 1/3-1/2 the price of a
VacuFlush. You can buy a Raritan Atlantes or the top of the line Jabsco
"quiet flush"--both of which offer even MORE features than the VacuFlush
(muliple flush options including dry flush, full household size one
piece china bowl and pedestal, no components scattered all over the boat
in inaccessible places) for around $800 from any of the discounters and
install it yourself. If you only want a basic macerating toilet that
uses pressurized flush water--about half what a raw water toilet
needs--the Raritan SeaEra, Wilcox Newport, and the Jabsco 37010 series
are readily available for well under $500.

something like one moving part in the toilet
itself,

None actually...at least none that wear...

no water slopping out of the bowl if somebody forgets to "dry
bowl" after using.....

Easily prevented in any toilet--manual or electric--by simply installing
a vented loop in the head intake (it goes between the pump and the bowl,
btw...not between the thru-hull and the pump).

there's a lot to recommend stepping up to a
toilet of that caliber *if* that's where your priorities are. We're
seeing the VacuFlush as a fairly standard item on new boats in the
moderate and higher price categories these days.

The power of advertising and high pressure marketing by SeaLand--and
practically giving 'em away to boatbuilders now because they're feeling
the pressure from other toilets that offer the same benefits for a
fraction of the price, that are readily available at discount from all
the major retailers, and can even be owner installed without voiding the
warranty.

I'm not knocking VacuFlush...it's a fine toilet...I had one on my last
two boats At the time I installed the last one, VacuFlush was the only
game in town if you wanted pressurized fresh water flush and low flush
water volume, but that's no longer true...it's now just the most
expensive by FAR. If I were to buy a boat on which it had already been
installed, I'd be delighted...but no way would I ever spend that much of
my own money on a boat toilet again.

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Gould 0738

I have no idea how much a "geezal" is, but installed price (they have to
install it or your warranty is void) of a VacuFlush is upwards of $2000.
Just the toilet--IF you can find anyone who'll sell it out the door,
'cuz they're only sold by "authorized VacuFlush Service

Centers," and
SeaLand will cut 'em loose if they catch 'em doing that--is about $1100.

A geezal is 10 C-notes. :-)

Seems about right. One of the local vendors had a "boat show special" on
VacuFlush at $12-1300......but I didn't inquire whether there was any
installation at all included at that price.

replace head on a mercruiser 350 engine Han General 5 June 18th 04 02:59 AM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Manual marine head Peggie Hall Boat Building 27 April 21st 04 10:41 PM
Source for cheap tinned marine battery cable Genuinedealz Boat Building 0 April 21st 04 02:55 PM
Head Gasket on 50 HP 93 Evinrude dp General 2 November 4th 03 12:46 PM