Peggie Hall

Default Manual marine head

Gould 0738 wrote:
I use a JABSO manual head.

I used to rebuild the manual head every couple of years, but when the
rebuild kits got to $90 and you can one find of these "BIC lighter"
units for just over $100 when you wait for a sale, it doesn't take
any more time to replace the whole works with a brand new unit and it
makes a lot more sense.

Rebuild kits for toilets costing under $500 aren't THAT expensive--the
one for the Jabsco is about $50. And while I wouldn't spend even $50 on
a toilet that can be replaced for $99 either, IMO it makes more sense to
spend about $200 to have a toilet that'll not only last 20-25 years if
it's kept lubricated and rebuilt about every 5-6 years (which is about
the max lifespan of a "disposable") at a cost of under $40 for the kit,
but also has a pump that can "swallow" flushes that would choke the
disposable.

Not only does it make more economic sense, but the disposable is highly
prone to failures of parts that aren't in the rebuild kit...and they
never fail at the dock when you're the only one aboard and have time to
run to the store for a new toilet and install it.

Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html