Lew Hodgett

Default Manual marine head

"Jim Richardson" writes:

So with that in mind, what head would you recommend for installing in a
"new" head. That is, we are going to be ripping out the existing
discharge over the side only head, (which is in desperate need of a
rebuild anyway) and we are going to put it a holding tank, and new head.

Lavac.

It simply has no equal IMHO.

Add two (2), Whale 3-way valves and a 2nd dip tube to the holding tank and
you can accomplish the following:

1) Deck pump out when at dock.
2) Direct overboard discharge when legal.
3) Pump out holding tank to the sea when in legal area.

All that and no added toys required.

The Henderson MkV pump supplied with the Lavac is the pump, the Whales
direct the flow.

End of story.

HTH

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Karin Conover-Lewis

Ditto the "Lavac" recommendation. I would have no other. Well, I'd go for a
composting head if I didn't need to carry mountains of peat moss and it fit
the same space as the Lavac, but such a creature doesn't exist.

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
nk.net...
"Ytter" writes:

I am in a process of refitting my head/shower area on my sailboat.
I want to change head for something reliable,manual,not terribly
expensive.

snip

Lavac, it has no equal, IMHO.

--
Lew

S/A: Challenge, The Bullet Proof Boat, (Under Construction in the

Southland)
Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Peggie Hall

Karin Conover-Lewis wrote:
Ditto the "Lavac" recommendation. I would have no other. Well, I'd go for a
composting head if I didn't need to carry mountains of peat moss and it fit
the same space as the Lavac, but such a creature doesn't exist.

Composting toilets also need power 24/7, Karin, to run the blower and
evaporator. Also a means of draining off liquids that exceed what can be
evaporated, which in coastal waters means some kind of container for
'em...'cuz they can't legally be drained overboard. Composter are an
alternative worth considering on a large powerboat on inland "no
discharge" waters, but IMO are totally impractical on any boat in
coastal waters.

--
Peggie
----------

Dennis Gibbons

If everything on my boat worked as well as the Lavac, I would sail a lot
more.

--
Dennis Gibbons
S/V Dark Lady
news

"Ytter" writes:

I am in a process of refitting my head/shower area on my sailboat.
I want to change head for something reliable,manual,not terribly
expensive.

snip

Lavac, it has no equal, IMHO.

--
Lew

S/A: Challenge, The Bullet Proof Boat, (Under Construction in the

Southland)
Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Dennis Gibbons

Peggy,
Have you ever heard of the following setup:

The waste tank is ABOVE the water line with a bottom drain to a seacock.
There is a second drain from the top of the tank to the deck pumpout.
The head pumps up to the top of the tank.
Close the seacock in protected water to keep the bad stuff aboard and then
open the seacock when you get out.When offshore, simply leave the seacock
open to drain as you go (so to speak).

Real simple if you have the freeboard.
I wouldn't worry about carrying the weight so high because the tank would
always be empty out to sea.

--
Dennis Gibbons
"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
Karin Conover-Lewis wrote:
[...]

Peggie Hall

Dennis Gibbons wrote:
Peggy,
Have you ever heard of the following setup:

The waste tank is ABOVE the water line with a bottom drain to a seacock.
There is a second drain from the top of the tank to the deck pumpout.
The head pumps up to the top of the tank.
Close the seacock in protected water to keep the bad stuff aboard and then
open the seacock when you get out.When offshore, simply leave the seacock
open to drain as you go (so to speak).

I'm not crazy about that set up. When the seacock is closed waste has to
sit in the line to thru-hull, permeating the hose...any sludge in the
tank will end up in that hose, so if you're in coastal waters very long,
that can cause problems...and I can't see any reason to go through a
tank at sea instead of flushing directly overboard. If the tank vent
should become blocked, you'll have problems flushing the toilet due to
the backpressure. Worst case would be a blocked tank vent AND a clogged
overboard discharge hose at sea in 8'+.

--
Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

replace head on a mercruiser 350 engine Han General 5 June 18th 04 02:59 AM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Manual marine head Peggie Hall Boat Building 27 April 21st 04 10:41 PM
Source for cheap tinned marine battery cable Genuinedealz Boat Building 0 April 21st 04 02:55 PM
Head Gasket on 50 HP 93 Evinrude dp General 2 November 4th 03 12:46 PM