Default Ken Barnes rescue pictures

Good set of photos of Ken Barnes' damaged boat and rescue over at CBS.

http://www.cbsnews.com/elements/2007...y2332917.shtml

Very nice looking boat. Looks like it should have done better but it's a
very tough patch of ocean. One of those fishing boats would do well to tow
it in.

--
Roger Long

Roger ,, I took a look at this . I don't know Ken Barnes, or anything about
Ken Barnes.

But ... when I looked at the pictures, I kept thinking why isn't the Captain
( Ken ) trying to get his boat to some port?

Couldn't he rig some sort of sail? Or, couldn't he get some help doing some
type of repair on site?

It just doesn't seem right for some reason. This boat was equipped to sail
around the world. I'm assuming that it is a very well constructed, well
equipped, strong, yacht.

Am I missing something?

Also,, what of this Ken Barnes. Is he a very able sailor? Has he done
other long trips?

Tell me where I am off course.

---------------------------------
"Roger Long" wrote in message
Good set of photos of Ken Barnes' damaged boat and rescue over at CBS.

http://www.cbsnews.com/elements/2007...y2332917.shtml

Very nice looking boat. Looks like it should have done better but it's a
very tough patch of ocean. One of those fishing boats would do well to
tow it in.

--
Roger Long

krj krj is offline

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Good set of photos of Ken Barnes' damaged boat and rescue over at CBS.

http://www.cbsnews.com/elements/2007...y2332917.shtml

Very nice looking boat. Looks like it should have done better but it's a
very tough patch of ocean. One of those fishing boats would do well to
tow it in.

--
Roger Long

With masts broken off, steering gone, flooding over a meter deep,
hatches blown off, food soaked with salt water, engine flooded,
batteries covered with salt water, no radio, just how do you propose to
get this boat to port by yourself?
krj

With masts broken off, steering gone,

Plus... I believe that I read somewhere that he had a gash
in his thigh.

Course... like a lot of others... I sure will be interested in
reading his account of what led up to the demise of his vessel.

Just maybe... his alleged injury ocurred at or just prior to the
time of his having to deal with a severe weather situation.

Best regards

Bill

wrote
I sure will be interested in
reading his account of what led up to the demise of his vessel.

There's an audio file here where he describes what happened:
http://www.kensolo.com/

"With masts broken off, steering gone, flooding over a meter deep, hatches
blown off, food soaked with salt water, engine flooded, batteries covered
with salt water, no radio, just how do you propose to get this boat to port
by yourself?"
==
Point it in that direction!

Yves Gelinas? Ever hear of him? His Alberg 30 suffered a roll over in the
southern ocean. He made it to port.

And he is one of many; when disaster struck these men and a couple of women
didn't leave their ship. They did what men who go out on the sea have been
doing since ??? ,,, got the boat back together as best they could and headed
for land.

How on earth did this fellow expect to sail around the world? There is
something about this whole story that doesn't pass the smell test.

If I am totally wrong , so be it. But, I heard this story on the news, I
had never heard of the sailor before, didn't know anything about the race,
or whatever he was participating in.

Then I see a picture of this absolutely beautiful yacht all banged up... but
still looking like it is floating ok ... and I am asking myself...

If this boat was built to go around the world, to take on the worst mother
nature could hand out, how did it end up like this. And if this sailor is
one of the elite who can take on the challenge of single handing around the
world, wouldn't it make sense that he would never leave his ship unless it
was upside down, or sinking?

I don't know ... just seems weird to me.

"krj" wrote in message
. ..

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Good set of photos of Ken Barnes' damaged boat and rescue over at CBS.

http://www.cbsnews.com/elements/2007...y2332917.shtml

Very nice looking boat. Looks like it should have done better but it's
a very tough patch of ocean. One of those fishing boats would do well
to tow it in.

--
Roger Long

With masts broken off, steering gone, flooding over a meter deep, hatches
blown off, food soaked with salt water, engine flooded, batteries covered
with salt water, no radio, just how do you propose to get this boat to
port by yourself?
krj

This from the CBS story .. in the comments section.

Comments

This guy should have to pay all costs associated with his rescue. I tired
about morons putting themselves in danger who expect others to put
themselves at risk if they get into trouble. I'm also tired of their
famalies getting on TV, crying about why everything isn't being done to save
their particular idiot. They should have stopped the idiot before he left.

3 days isn't all that bad... it's not like he was out there a month or
something... what's the big deal????

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Good set of photos of Ken Barnes' damaged boat and rescue over at CBS.

http://www.cbsnews.com/elements/2007...y2332917.shtml

Very nice looking boat. Looks like it should have done better but it's a
very tough patch of ocean. One of those fishing boats would do well to
tow it in.

--
Roger Long

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 02:35:36 GMT, "NE Sailboat"
wrote:

if this sailor is
one of the elite who can take on the challenge of single handing around the
world

I think the evidence is to the contrary on that one.

It's possible that he just got unlucky and was in the wrong place at
the wrong time but that is being charitable. More likely he was
mentally unprepared for the challenge of avoiding and surviving
storms.

The storms are out there. They happen all the time, and if they find
you, they will also find your weak spots.

The Privateer
A signal from Barnes' emergency position indicating radio beacon, or EPIRB,
was later received, and U.S. Coast Guard and Chilean authorities started
rescue operations. A Chilean aircraft was expected to home in on the beacon
Wednesday afternoon and contact Barnes. The aircraft would also drop
survival gear -- life rafts or survival suits -- if needed. The nearest
vessel, about 150 miles away, was motoring toward the site and was expected
to reach Barnes within about 24 hours. A cargo vessel also was en route and
expected to arrive about the same time. Chambers said Barnes sounded good,
"but then he was crying too; so he's upset about having to leave the boat at
some point." Barnes told her the boat was not sinking, just at the whimsy of
the wind and waves, and he was trying to save the battery in his satellite
phone to make contact with Chilean authorities. "I don't care about the
boat," she told Barnes, a father of three. "I just want you home."

=========

This from another news story. So, the boat was not sinking. This guy was
way in over his head.

===