Default Ken Barnes rescue pictures

Roger ,, after reading the news stories ,, I'd be doing just about anything
to get my hands on this boat..
Would this be a sweet present.. Nice 44 footer. For FREE.

I'd name it : "Finders Keepers".

And I wouldn't be off sailing around the world ... nope; off to Antigua to
sail around the Carribean. YES!

======

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Good set of photos of Ken Barnes' damaged boat and rescue over at CBS.

http://www.cbsnews.com/elements/2007...y2332917.shtml

Very nice looking boat. Looks like it should have done better but it's a
very tough patch of ocean. One of those fishing boats would do well to
tow it in.

--
Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in news:459edd58$0$16948
:

Very nice looking boat.

There was a BOAT in those pictures? All I saw was beautiful blondes with
bare bellies atop really tight stretch denim hiphuggers! I'll have to go
look again and see if I can spot a sailboat in there, somewhere.

What the hell would any guy surrounded by such beautiful women want on a
damned sailboat, by himself for months and months, in total isolation,
facing death in the S of Magellan? Does it take him that long to
RECHARGE??!

I'm glad he's ok....STUPID but OK...

Those jeans are wonderful. Mankinds owes the inventor of stretch denim
more than it could ever repay....(c;

"Larry" wrote in message
"Roger Long" wrote in news:459edd58$0$16948
:

Very nice looking boat.

There was a BOAT in those pictures? All I saw was beautiful blondes with
bare bellies atop really tight stretch denim hiphuggers! I'll have to go
look again and see if I can spot a sailboat in there, somewhere.

snip
Those jeans are wonderful. Mankinds owes the inventor of stretch denim
more than it could ever repay....(c;

For sure..that's what makes the world go 'round.

Larry,, what news story were you looking at? On the CBS site, it showed the
boat and the two daughters, and girlfriend but they were sitting down ..

This whole story is so strange. Here is this guy with the beautiful
girlfriend, and he obviously has some money ... so what does he decide to
do? Go off and destroy a yacht.

Ya think maybe if he had just taken the boat to Antigua he would be a whole
lot happier.

=====

I wonder if he wasn't looking for a way out. You know,, like he let the
project get so big that he had to leave but then he was just waiting for the
right strorm to "bail".

==
"Larry" wrote in message
"Roger Long" wrote in news:459edd58$0$16948
:

Very nice looking boat.

There was a BOAT in those pictures? All I saw was beautiful blondes with
bare bellies atop really tight stretch denim hiphuggers! I'll have to go
look again and see if I can spot a sailboat in there, somewhere.

What the hell would any guy surrounded by such beautiful women want on a
damned sailboat, by himself for months and months, in total isolation,
facing death in the S of Magellan? Does it take him that long to
RECHARGE??!

I'm glad he's ok....STUPID but OK...

Those jeans are wonderful. Mankinds owes the inventor of stretch denim
more than it could ever repay....(c;

NE Sailboat wrote:
"With masts broken off, steering gone, flooding over a meter deep, hatches
blown off, food soaked with salt water, engine flooded, batteries covered
with salt water, no radio, just how do you propose to get this boat to port
by yourself?"
==
Point it in that direction!

Yves Gelinas? Ever hear of him? His Alberg 30 suffered a roll over in the
southern ocean. He made it to port.

And he is one of many; when disaster struck these men and a couple of women
didn't leave their ship. They did what men who go out on the sea have been
doing since ??? ,,, got the boat back together as best they could and headed
for land.

How on earth did this fellow expect to sail around the world? There is
something about this whole story that doesn't pass the smell test.

If I am totally wrong , so be it. But, I heard this story on the news, I
had never heard of the sailor before, didn't know anything about the race,
or whatever he was participating in.

Then I see a picture of this absolutely beautiful yacht all banged up... but
still looking like it is floating ok ... and I am asking myself...

If this boat was built to go around the world, to take on the worst mother
nature could hand out, how did it end up like this. And if this sailor is
one of the elite who can take on the challenge of single handing around the
world, wouldn't it make sense that he would never leave his ship unless it
was upside down, or sinking?

I don't know ... just seems weird to me.

"krj" wrote in message
. ..
NE Sailboat wrote:
Roger ,, I took a look at this . I don't know Ken Barnes, or anything
about Ken Barnes.

But ... when I looked at the pictures, I kept thinking why isn't the
Captain ( Ken ) trying to get his boat to some port?

Couldn't he rig some sort of sail? Or, couldn't he get some help doing
some type of repair on site?

It just doesn't seem right for some reason. This boat was equipped to
sail around the world. I'm assuming that it is a very well constructed,
well equipped, strong, yacht.

Am I missing something?

Also,, what of this Ken Barnes. Is he a very able sailor? Has he done
other long trips?

Tell me where I am off course.

---------------------------------
"Roger Long" wrote in message
Good set of photos of Ken Barnes' damaged boat and rescue over at CBS.

http://www.cbsnews.com/elements/2007...y2332917.shtml

Very nice looking boat. Looks like it should have done better but it's
a very tough patch of ocean. One of those fishing boats would do well
to tow it in.

--
Roger Long

With masts broken off, steering gone, flooding over a meter deep, hatches
blown off, food soaked with salt water, engine flooded, batteries covered
with salt water, no radio, just how do you propose to get this boat to
port by yourself?
krj

I don't know but I'm guessing physical and mental exhaustion may have
played a role here.
Gordon

Gogarty wrote:

The vessel looks totally shattered from the deck line up. She must
have been swept.

Swept doesn't do that kind of damage. A boat of the quality that one
appears to be would have survived a lot of sweeping.

What kills boats in these latitudes and waves of this size (probably 20 feet
since he said 40) is being dropped off the steep face of ones that are
nearly breaking. Imagine your boat picked up by a crane 15 - 20 feet and
rolled so the masts are pointed downwards. Then just let it go. That's the
kind of impact we're talking about. The rig seldom survives and the major
damage is always on the downward side.

People will probably respond that they have been out in 20 foot seas many
times and nothing like this happend. It's the shape of big wave trains
running in wide open water with even bigger swells under them that is more
dangerous than just the height. If most of the waves he was in were 20
feet, the one that took his rig out still could have been over 40.

--
Roger Long

Go .gar.. ty ..

Second guess? The fellow abandoned ship? He left his yacht floating in the
Atlantic.

This is someone who was prepared to sail around the world ... NON STOP! Duh
???????

Captain Joshua Slocum: A Time-line
a.. Born February 20, 1844, in Annapolis County, Nova Scotia, by the Bay
of Fundy.
b.. Ran away at age of 14 to be a cook on a fishing schooner, but returned
home.
c.. Left home for good at 16 (1860) when his mother died, shipped as
ordinary seaman on deep-water sailing ships, merchant vessels to Europe and
the U.S.
d.. Obtained his first command on the California coast in 1869, and sailed
for 13 years out of San Francisco to China, Australia, the Spice Islands,
and Japan.
e.. Married an American girl, Virginia Albertina Walker, on January 31,
1871, at Sydney, Australia.
f.. Built a steamer for a British architect in Subic Bay, P.I., in 1874.
g.. Bought shares in and commanded the three-skysailyard ship Northern
Light in 1882, considered at the time by many to be the finest American ship
afloat.
h.. Sold the Northern Light and bought the bark Aquidneck in 1884. In the
same year, his wife Virginia died (July 25) and was buried in Buenos Aires.
i.. Married Henrietta M. Elliott ("Hettie") in 1886.
j.. Made several voyages on the Aquidneck before she was lost in 1887 on a
sand bank off the coast of Brazil.
k.. The Libergade, a 35-foot sailing canoe, built after the stranding;
Slocum sails with Hettie and his oldest and youngest sons to Washington,
D.C., 5000 miles away.
l.. Voyage of the Liberdade published in 1890 at Slocum's expense.
m.. In 1892, a friend, Captain Eben Pierce, offers Slocum a ship that
"wants some repairs" Slocum goes to Fairhaven, MA to find that the "ship" is
a rotting old oyster sloop propped up in a field. It is the Spray.
n.. Slocum prints Voyage of the Destroyer from New York to Brazil in 1893,
again at his own expense.
o.. Slocum departs from Boston Harbor, MA on his famous circumnavigation
on April 24, 1895, at the age of 51, in the rebuilt 37-foot sloop Spray.
Click for Map of his Journey
p.. Slocum returns, sailing into Newport, RI, on June 27, 1898 in his tiny
sloop Spray and after single-handedly sailing around the world , a passage
of 46,000 miles. This historic achievement made him the patron saint of
small-boat voyagers, navigators and adventurers all over the world.
q.. Sailing Alone Around The World published in book form in 1900 by The
Century Company. It describes his experiences on this adventurous voyage and
became an instant best seller. It has been translated into many languages,
and is still in print today.
r.. Slocum buys first home on land in 1902, a farm on the island of
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts.
s.. Slocum sails each winter to the tropics, 1905 - 1906, returning to New
England in the summer.
t.. On November 14th of 1909, at the age of 65, he set out on another lone
voyage to South America leaving from Vineyard Haven on Martha's Vineyard,
but was never heard from again.
So, here is an experienced sailor, age 65, off on his own into the early
winter of 1909. He has nowhere near the vessel Mr Barnes has. He is an
experienced Captain, having sailed around the world by himself... the first
to do this.

And you have the &*%$# to use Slocum's name to justify the total nonsense of
some dimwit from California who ended up jumping ship when things got rough?
Do you think Captain Joshua Slocum would have abondoned his vessel off the
coast of Chile if it was afloat?

Please ???

You do yourself an injustice by comparing a stooge to one of the great
single handed sailors who ever put out to sea.

One last thing: how do you know Captain Slocum didn't make port? Because
he wasn't heard from again?

My guess? He sailed back to a previous lover. Spent his days in the S
Pacific onboard is beloved Spray. Legend has it that the Spary is still
afloat. She sails each year in the hearts and minds of true sailors, those
who would never abandon their ship.

Raise a toast to a true Captain, a true adventurer, Captain Joshua Slocum.

"Gogarty" wrote in message
Awfully easy to second guess and armchair criticize. There is way too much
of
that going on here.

If I recall correctly, Joshua Slocum himself set off on another
circumnavigation and was never heard from again.

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Gogarty wrote:

[...]

And, there's the washing machine effect of being rolled over and over and
over. Not something anyone will put up with for very long before they want
out.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
snip..
One last thing: how do you know Captain Slocum didn't make port? Because
he wasn't heard from again?

My guess? He sailed back to a previous lover. Spent his days in the S
Pacific onboard is beloved Spray. Legend has it that the Spary is still
afloat. She sails each year in the hearts and minds of true sailors,
those who would never abandon their ship.

Raise a toast to a true Captain, a true adventurer, Captain Joshua Slocum.

The days of iron men and wooden ships.
No comparison to todays playboy sailors and their expensive toys.

I listened to the phone interview on his web site last night.
Had to rig up some powered speakers to hear it all.

Basically he said the wind was 35 knots on the starboard quarter.
Then a sudden big blow caused the boat to round up - square across the
waves - and she rolled. Perhaps all the way over.

Now I won't claim to any great blue water experience, having been out
of sight of land only once in the Caribbean.

But my immediate question was how much sail was up at the time?

I would think that a single handed sailor would, in deference to
survival, take a very conservative approach.

Reef early - and deep.

My impressions from his web site is that he thought the boat could take
anything Mother Nature dished out and was cracking on.

Maybe I'm reading too much from between the lines?

Richard
Spirit