Default Ken Barnes rescue pictures

"NE Sailboat" wrote in
news:0%Onh.3290$1h.1467@trndny09:

Ya think maybe if he had just taken the boat to Antigua he would be a
whole lot happier.

With THEM on the boat...Amen, Brother, Amen!

--
http://www.epic.org/privacy/rfid/verichip.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeriChip

"NE Sailboat" wrote in

Second guess? The fellow abandoned ship? He left his yacht floating
in the Atlantic.

I'm wondering about the disabled engine it talked about. Look at the
pictures. The waterline is clearly visible, so the boat isn't flooded at
all. Wonder why his engine doesn't run? It doesn't say that I can find.
A sailboat without a mast is called a "trawler"...(c;

I know someone who bought a nice sloop that had become dismasted. He
took it into the boatyard, tore off all the sail rigging and changed out
to a 4-cyl Yanmar and bigger prop with a nicer bearing. They cut about
half the keel off it, but left plenty to keep it from rolling, gaining
about 4000 pounds of "payload" that used to hang under it for sailing.
It's a really nice power trawler for little of nothing in money...about
40'. He gets about 8 knots for about a gallon/hour...10 mpg. That's
cheap boating in a 40' boat. With 50hp, he has plenty of reserve power
without eating a hole in the fuel tanks. An extra belt drives a 10KW,
self-exciting 115/230VAC Chinese alternator he bought from Harbor
Freight:
His doesn't have the PTO gears and big power box....$400.
Sail maintenance is lots cheaper....change the oil every 100 hours and
go. He goes a lot!

This nice yacht would make a fantastic "trawler" if the storm tore up the
rigging and chainplates. The hull looks fine, floating high....(c;

--
http://www.epic.org/privacy/rfid/verichip.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeriChip
http://www.verichipcorp.com/
Tracked like a dog, every license/product/tax.
Revelation 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor,
free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their
foreheads:
17 and that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the
name of the beast, or the number of his name...

krj krj is offline

Larry wrote:
[...]

The newspaper report said that there was three feet of water inside from
the waves breaking over the hataches that had been torn off. The water
flooded the engine, batteries shorted the electrical and the steering
was broken. I wouldn't want a "trawler" with three feet of water inside.
krj

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 08:56:06 -0800, Gordon wrote:

I don't know but I'm guessing physical and mental exhaustion may have
played a role here.

It usually does. The question is what aspects could have been avoided
with better weather routing, preparation, seamanship, equipment, etc.

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 12:02:38 -0500, "Roger Long"
wrote:

What kills boats in these latitudes and waves of this size (probably 20 feet
since he said 40) is being dropped off the steep face of ones that are
nearly breaking. Imagine your boat picked up by a crane 15 - 20 feet and
rolled so the masts are pointed downwards. Then just let it go.

Nice description.

I usually say something like "tossed down into the trough from the top
of a 20 foot wave" but it all amounts to the same thing, and it's not
at all uncommon. I've also heard it described as "falling off a wave"
which is fairly apt, and not difficult to do if you have some speed on
and the waves are steep.

One aspect of big waves is that they often appear as a hole in the
water instead of looming overhead.

The most interesting part of this IMHO is the lady single hander
coming to save him! She, in a tiny Southern Cross 28 sloop, versus his
heavy steel 44' ketch.
Gordon

Go Screw ... I won't lay off Barnes. The guy is a joke!

===============
"Gogarty" wrote in message
Was Slocum one of the best single-handers? Yes.

Did he disappear on his last voyage? Yes.

Did he run off with some dusky maid from a tropical island? Nice
thought. Not likely.

What is most likely that despite all his expetrience and skill, the sea
overwhelmed him. So lay off Barnes until you know a hell of a lot more.

"He is there"

Nope,, Barnes has left the building.

What burns me up about this story is all the folks who struggle to get a
boat together, outfit, and head off. They would never leave their boat
since it is their only possession.

Then this phony comes along. He has no business trying to go off around the
bay never mind the world. But ,, he has the money. So, he puts together a
very sweet boat. A boat that should not have been ruined like it was.

But Mr Money figures all he has to do it sit back and let the boat do all
the work.

WRONG!

=====

Oh well,, he can go back to the babe girlfriend.

And he probably still has plenty of money.

But he can't sail worth ****.

====
"Gogarty" wrote in message
news
In article 5AWnh.1021$us1.630@trndny04, says...

Go Screw ... I won't lay off Barnes. The guy is a joke!

Suit yourself. He is there. You are not.

How about a new rule? Dumbass remarks on the sailing abilities of
people who lost their boat only from others who have been out as far
and survived a similar situation? Sorry, armchair sailing miles and
internet surfing don't count.

Would Slocum have chimed in here?

And, whoever envies the fact that Barnes has or had some money and has
a girlfriend:
You can have that too: Get a job, get a life.

Good night.

"Gogarty" wrote in message
news
In article 5AWnh.1021$us1.630@trndny04, says...

Go Screw ... I won't lay off Barnes. The guy is a joke!

Suit yourself. He is there. You are not.

Hey Chris ,,, new rule. If you don't like it here .. go to someplace else.
It is a FORUM. Chiming in is what we do here.

If your logic is followed ,,, the only person on this forum would be MR
BARNES.

Oh,, and another thought. The sailors who go off and sail to far off
places, and arrive without incident, which is the usual case ..

Aren't posting about their boat being lost... why? Because they arrived
safely.

Mr Barnes, and his boat and his family and his rescue was a NEWS STORY.
HELLO ??? CHRIS ??? NEWS? YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS ??/ THAT MEANS IT
WAS ON TV.

If I am off in the middle of the ocean, I get my boat sunk, and then my
picture is on tv and my girlfriend is beautiful ???

Don't ya think someone is going to ask "gee, wonder why he didn't take his
beautiful girlfriend with him on his beautiful boat"?

"Would Slocum have chimed in here?"

Yes ,, page 188,189 of Sailing Alone Around The World by Joshua Slocum.
Captain Slocum describes his meeting up with the "cutter-yacht" Akbar. He
does not have too many good things to say about the boat nor the crew.

Me thinks before you enter the water of debate, you do some research.

ps.com...