NE Sailboat NE Sailboat is offline

Default Ken Barnes rescue pictures

"With masts broken off, steering gone, flooding over a meter deep, hatches
blown off, food soaked with salt water, engine flooded, batteries covered
with salt water, no radio, just how do you propose to get this boat to port
by yourself?"
==
Point it in that direction!

Yves Gelinas? Ever hear of him? His Alberg 30 suffered a roll over in the
southern ocean. He made it to port.

And he is one of many; when disaster struck these men and a couple of women
didn't leave their ship. They did what men who go out on the sea have been
doing since ??? ,,, got the boat back together as best they could and headed
for land.

How on earth did this fellow expect to sail around the world? There is
something about this whole story that doesn't pass the smell test.

If I am totally wrong , so be it. But, I heard this story on the news, I
had never heard of the sailor before, didn't know anything about the race,
or whatever he was participating in.

Then I see a picture of this absolutely beautiful yacht all banged up... but
still looking like it is floating ok ... and I am asking myself...

If this boat was built to go around the world, to take on the worst mother
nature could hand out, how did it end up like this. And if this sailor is
one of the elite who can take on the challenge of single handing around the
world, wouldn't it make sense that he would never leave his ship unless it
was upside down, or sinking?

I don't know ... just seems weird to me.

"krj" wrote in message
. ..
NE Sailboat wrote:
Roger ,, I took a look at this . I don't know Ken Barnes, or anything
about Ken Barnes.

But ... when I looked at the pictures, I kept thinking why isn't the
Captain ( Ken ) trying to get his boat to some port?

Couldn't he rig some sort of sail? Or, couldn't he get some help doing
some type of repair on site?

It just doesn't seem right for some reason. This boat was equipped to
sail around the world. I'm assuming that it is a very well constructed,
well equipped, strong, yacht.

Am I missing something?

Also,, what of this Ken Barnes. Is he a very able sailor? Has he done
other long trips?

Tell me where I am off course.

---------------------------------
"Roger Long" wrote in message
Good set of photos of Ken Barnes' damaged boat and rescue over at CBS.

http://www.cbsnews.com/elements/2007...y2332917.shtml

Very nice looking boat. Looks like it should have done better but it's
a very tough patch of ocean. One of those fishing boats would do well
to tow it in.

--
Roger Long

With masts broken off, steering gone, flooding over a meter deep, hatches
blown off, food soaked with salt water, engine flooded, batteries covered
with salt water, no radio, just how do you propose to get this boat to
port by yourself?
krj