NE Sailboat NE Sailboat is offline

Default Ken Barnes rescue pictures

The Privateer
A signal from Barnes' emergency position indicating radio beacon, or EPIRB,
was later received, and U.S. Coast Guard and Chilean authorities started
rescue operations. A Chilean aircraft was expected to home in on the beacon
Wednesday afternoon and contact Barnes. The aircraft would also drop
survival gear -- life rafts or survival suits -- if needed. The nearest
vessel, about 150 miles away, was motoring toward the site and was expected
to reach Barnes within about 24 hours. A cargo vessel also was en route and
expected to arrive about the same time. Chambers said Barnes sounded good,
"but then he was crying too; so he's upset about having to leave the boat at
some point." Barnes told her the boat was not sinking, just at the whimsy of
the wind and waves, and he was trying to save the battery in his satellite
phone to make contact with Chilean authorities. "I don't care about the
boat," she told Barnes, a father of three. "I just want you home."

=========

This from another news story. So, the boat was not sinking. This guy was
way in over his head.

===

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Good set of photos of Ken Barnes' damaged boat and rescue over at CBS.

http://www.cbsnews.com/elements/2007...y2332917.shtml

Very nice looking boat. Looks like it should have done better but it's a
very tough patch of ocean. One of those fishing boats would do well to
tow it in.

--
Roger Long