Default Ken Barnes rescue pictures

Geoff Schultz wrote:

Get a grip. The guy didn't sail to Chile and spend 4 years planning his
trip to pull an insurance scam!

how do you know?
are You in on it??
did YOU do the planning???

Perhaps you should read his web site...

If you had read THIS thread, you would see that I not only DID read his
website,
but I cut and pasted info from his website wherein I show that he
ALTERed his
boat making it less stable. After this, someone mentioned that he had
scuttled
his boat, and at that time I mentioned that IF THAT WERE TRUE [I'm
still not
convinced that the scuttling wasn't just a rumor] then it was likely an
insurance
scam.
Do I know absolutely? No!

Then why did you exclaim it so? [with your punctuation, see above]
Was I in
on it? No! Did I do the planning? No!

No, now that I'm getting to know you better, I can see that you do not
have the
attention span needed for a caper of this magnatude.

Are you an blathering idiot? YES!

Let's see...
OED says:
"blether, blather, v. - 1. intr. To talk nonsense loquaciously."
"idiot, n. - ad. Gr.{ilenis}{delta}{iota}{gwacu}{tau}{eta}{fsigma}
private person, common man, plebeian, one without professional
knowledge, 'layman';"
Yes, I see that I must concede to you this point, that I do so fancy
our
conversations!

Yours [while mired in your abuse],
tom
=-==

tlindly wrote:

If you had read THIS thread, you would see that I not only DID read
his website, but I cut and pasted info from his website wherein I show
that he
ALTERed his boat making it less stable.

Yes, you read it but without the technical understanding to properly
evaluate it.

The weight represented by the bilge keels would have had an insignificant
effect on stability. They were primarily devices to keep the boat upright
in British anchorages that dry out at low tide. Their removal would,
however, make the boat significantly less prone to the rollover by reducing
the low drag that trips the boat against the force of the wave crest on the
topsides. Possibly some loss of windward ability as well but this isn't
always the case if the boat also has a center keel. Getting bilge keels
exactly aligned with the flow is a black art and their drag can hurt
windward performance more than their extra area decreases leeway.

Bob Perry gave him excellent advice.

The fine points of naval architecture are one thing. The suggestion that
this was an insurance scam betrays a lack of common sense and the nature of
marine insurance rates that makes it hard for me to believe the person who
suggested it ever had occasion to buy insurance for a yacht.

--
Roger Long

Red Red is offline

Larry kindly replied:
A bunch of stuff about downloading magazine files from newsgroups, and;
"How do you connect to the rec.boats newsgroups? Your header in your
message is a mess."

I am using Fort'e Agent for a news reader, is that ok to get those
magazine files?

Thanks,
Red

Red wrote in :

I am using Fort'e Agent for a news reader, is that ok to get those
magazine files?

Thanks,
Red

Forte's products are better at text than binaries.

Go download Xnews free from xnews.newsguy.com and get the help files to
help you learn to use it. Leave everything default after you put in your
nntp server address (username and password if you need it, too). Xnews
will download that server's whole list, then you can go down through the
list and press the = key to "subscribe" that newsgroup you want, text
like this one or binary. That makes Xnews put that group at the top of
the list and automates the newsgroup's update data.

Open the alt.binaries.e-book.technical newsgroup and Xnews will open a
window asking you how many of these 48,832,445 messages you want to list.
DON'T try to list them all! Move the START slider control over so the
download count window says about 200,000 messages. Click OK and let it
load the last 200K message headers.

The list defaults sorted by Subject header. Don't touch it until Xnews
has completely downloaded, SORTED and THREADED them all, automatically.

Now, as you go down the list, you'll see each pdf, chm, etc.,
book/magazine/manual file is only ONE line of the list, not 46 separate
messages. It will tell you 46/46, which means we have 46 of 46 messages
that make up this split-up binary pdf file. A light blue Rubix cube
along the left side of this line tells you all the parts are on the
server and no parts are missing. A dark blue partial Rubix cube tells
you parts are missing, either because Usenet bombed it or it is missing
from the partial list you downloaded of the 48,832,445 messages
available. Only download completed files for now. Later you can play
with PAR files, which have the uncanny ability to correct errors and even
replace missing whole parts of binary files.

To the right of the SUBJECT field on the message window, you'll see a
column marked Q, which stands for Que. When you click on this line's Q
box, a number shows up in the Q column at this line, which is the
location in the download que of this magazine. You may click as many
binary files as you like, each one getting a higher and higher number as
you continue. If you make a mistake, click it again and it will unque
the line. You may also click and drag down the Q column to que and
number a whole line of binaries to download in line. If the line is
longer than your screen, you may get it to mark and scroll down (or up)
by moving the mouse pointer around in a tiny circle that MUST stay inside
the bottom Q box.

After you've marked a few hundred files, look at the bottom line of the
message window and you'll find a blue Rubix Cube button. That's the
DOWNLOAD/DECODE/STORE button. Click it and a standard Windoze folder
selection window will pop up so you can OPEN (not just point to) the
folder you want Xnews to put its decoded, compiled, ready-to-read binary
files into. Once the downloading begins, at how ever fast your broadband
connection can stand, you are free to go back up the list and click even
more files to get, even while it's downloading. Every time it gets a
message piece of the current file Q = 1, all the numbers in the Q column
will decrement by one. As each file is completed, it goes on to the next
in the que to get it. Once you've marked as many as you want, just walk
away and let Xnews automatically get them all, one after the other,
storing them where you told it to.

Once Xnews has completed today's massive binary download, all neatly
stored to disk, click the Check Mark button to the left of the Rubix Cube
button along the bottom control panel of the message window. This sets
the START pointer in this newsgroup to the last message so when we open
it again, tomorrow, it will list only new files uploaded since we last
downloaded....a smaller number, to be sure.

I'm using Xnews to write this message. There are two other newsgroups
open, limited only by how many ports your news server lets you have open
simultaneously, while I'm typing on this port. (I get 10 on
Usenetserver.) Ebooks and movies are downloading continuously, today.
Xnews will simultaneously download as many groups as you have ports for,
but, of course, more than one open splits your available bandwidth
between them all, slowing down the downloading.

Once you learn how to use Xnews' complex system to handle NNTP usenet,
you'll dump the Agent kiddie cruiser for the simple minded. I can't
believe he gives Xnews away for free.

Keep a sharp eye out for huge hard drives and fast DVD burners at bargain
prices. You're gonna need them when you become an addict. There's
1.9TB, 1900 GB of hard drives on my system. I spent last night
offloading to DVD+Rs a few hundred GB so I'd have space for today...(c;

If your crappy internet service refuses to let you have unlimited
downloading from Usenet, and most do, go to http://www.usenetserver.com/
and buy Usenetserver's truly unlimited service for $15/month, no
contract. 3 months is $40, a discount. Retention after the last massive
upgrade is now over 45 days and completeness hovers around 99.5% so you
don't miss any parts....unless the guy who uploaded it screws up.

Buy a big, tall DVD storage rack that doesn't depend on the DVDs being in
cases. It keeps your friends from walking on the latest 45000 MP3 files
you downloaded since Sunday...(c; My collection is over 21,000,000 songs
from Edison's first commercial recorded cylinder to the latest hip hop
songs that makes my girlfriend horny.

I also recommend the Gateway 21" LCD monitor that rotates to vertical
document mode. The included software driver listens to the USB data from
this beautiful monitor so that when you simply rotate the display to
vertical or horizontal, the driver automatically switches Windows over.
Magazines in Adobe Acrobat, clicked to FULL SCREEN mode, displays a
single page as big as the screen in beautiful colors more vivid than the
paper magazine it was printed to. The picture is bigger than the
original page and very easy on the eyes. Roll it back over to horizontal
for those widescreen movies from alt.binary.movies.divx that won't come
out in the theatres until next month...(c; Compiling huge movie files
requires you to buy WinRAR from www.rarlabs.com. Movies are split up
into 40-60 pieces, then the pieces are sent as 30-200 messages Xnews
decodes into the .rar set. After you download the rar binaries to your
hard drive, you run WinRAR to recombine all the compressed rar data into
the 700 to 1400 MB DivX or Xvid movie to play with VLC from
www.videolan.com, which is the finest free, open-source player on the
planet. It will play anything. But, that's another story....(c;

Larry
--
Democracy is when two wolves and a sheep vote on who's for dinner.
Liberty is when the sheep has his own gun.

Larry,

Excellent post!

1.9 TB ! You get paid way too much.

One thing you did not mention was PAR files to repair the incomplete's.
I think for a new user News Rover would be a better choice
although it is not free it is much easer to use and it does RAR files and
PAR recovery automatically.

http://www.newsrover.com/

I have been using news rover for about three years now and love it.
Currently I am using version 11 and have not parted with the upgrade fee to
the latest version yet.

Capt. Joe

On 23-Jan-2007, Larry wrote:

Forte's products are better at text than binaries.

Go download Xnews free from xnews.newsguy.com and get the help files to
help you learn to use it.

SNIP

Red Red is offline

Larry kindly answered my question with more than I expected, and then some:
Forte's products are better at text than binaries.

Go download Xnews free from xnews.newsguy.com and...

snip

Thanks Larry, I will def check out xnews. My isp doesn't carry all the
groups, nor does it keep messages longer than 2 weeks, so I'll also have
to look into usenetserver if I get addicted

Red

On 23-Jan-2007, Gogarty wrote:

How did this thread get to be a discussion of newsreaders?

In any case, there is only one worth bothering with and it is totally free

-- WinVn. Google it and try it. Does everything you need with great
simplicity.

A quick look at the users guide looks like this is not suitable for binary's
which is what we were talking about.

wrote in :

One thing you did not mention was PAR files to repair the
incomplete's. I think for a new user News Rover would be a better
choice although it is not free it is much easer to use and it does RAR
files and PAR recovery automatically.

http://www.newsrover.com/

I have been using news rover for about three years now and love it.
Currently I am using version 11 and have not parted with the upgrade
fee to the latest version yet.

Capt. Joe

When I'm setting up a newbie binary downloader, I keep him away from PARS
and RARS until he's happy with MP3s and PDFs and is ready to move on to
the big movie files....(c;

I'll check out Newsrover. I've used Xnews so many years and like its
action of only using one port per newsgroup for downloading, leaving the
other ports for me to use while it's downloading. Some of the news
clients open as many ports, simultaneously, as they can get to increase
the throughput, but I don't like that as I can't open text groups while
the downloading continues.

Of course, if they have to PAY for Newsrover, most internetters will
balk, even if it's $10 for life....(c;

Larry

Red wrote in :

Thanks Larry, I will def check out xnews. My isp doesn't carry all the
groups, nor does it keep messages longer than 2 weeks, so I'll also

have
to look into usenetserver if I get addicted

Always glad to help. I just looked at the status page:
http://www.usenetserver.com/networkstatus.html
31,175 users are downloading a mere 17.03 Gbps as I type this. The load
is quite light, tonight...(c;

The status page always graphs the load for the last day for you. They're
bragging out Phase 2 of the upgrade is complete with 75 days retention
across the boards, which is really nice for people who may be away
cruising in a boat for a couple of weeks to a month. It'll be there when
you get back. UNS's server stack in Atlanta is just massive, now....and
Phase 3 is coming with even more. Getting them to add a newsgroup they
may not carry is as easy as asking for it on usenetserver.support
newsgroup where the guys actually running the servers ACTUALLY
COMMUNICATE with us lowly users! We kid them about someone kicking the
tape drive for the Commodore 64 off the coffee table, etc....(c; Too bad
they don't also run a cellphone company as it would put Verizon clean out
of business.

There's a test deal, too. $3 for 3 days of unlimited access on 10 ports
at once, just to test your connections out. If your ISP blocks the
normal port 119 NNTP port...UNS has many other ports open to drive around
them, too!

Larry

On 24-Jan-2007, Larry wrote:

When I'm setting up a newbie binary downloader, I keep him away from PARS
and RARS until he's happy with MP3s and PDFs and is ready to move on to
the big movie files....(c;

I'll check out Newsrover. I've used Xnews so many years and like its
action of only using one port per newsgroup for downloading, leaving the
other ports for me to use while it's downloading. Some of the news
clients open as many ports, simultaneously, as they can get to increase
the throughput, but I don't like that as I can't open text groups while
the downloading continues.

Of course, if they have to PAY for Newsrover, most internetters will
balk, even if it's $10 for life....(c;

Larry
--
Democracy is when two wolves and a sheep vote on who's for dinner.
Liberty is when the sheep has his own gun.

Normally I would agree with you on RAR's and PAR's with a newbie but when
the program does both with two mouse clicks even I can do it.

They do have a "free for 30 days in demonstration mode" whatever a
"demonstration mode" is?
Capt. Joe