Default Porta-Bote

This is odd, Rob. Previously, you said you bought a Porta-bote, and
then gave it
to your father. Which story is the real one?

I never used the porta bote previously here. It ended up being for my
old man, who loves it for use on the lake near his house in the
Poconos. The one we recently tried was the only one we used with the
35s5.

RB
35s5
NY

Now Chuckie, you know he said that on ASA, where nothing is
real.

Wanna know how the porta bote works on a man made lake in the Poconos?
My father is using it with a small minikota motor, since they don't
allow gas engines.

Robert
35s5
NY

DSK DSK is offline

Default hunter 34... good advice is where you find it

well said Dan... more comments

Dan Best wrote:
In the couple of weeks I've been back, I've seen valid comments from
just about everybody as well as some irritating "he's a troll/no he's a
troll" bickering. That, quite frankly, I'd just as soon do without.

Agreed. People who don't have anything better to do can go
over to rec.boats and talk politics.

lot of it seems hang on the questioning of someone's credentials. As
far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter. I don't care whether someone
taught the Pardeys everything they know or is just beginning.

Agreed, with the caveat that a rank novice who: 1- tries to
sell goods or services while pretending to give advice and
2- claims credentials he doesn't have... is a person to
avoid. "Capt Rob" or Bobsprit fits both of those to a T.

Good advice is good advice and there are enough people hanging out here
that bad advice will be challenged and fail to be accepted.

Yes but sometimes a lot of people jump on advice that goes
against "conventional wisdom" even when it's actually good
and based on real-world experiences. YMMV

Tell the original poster why you think (don't think) a hunter 34 is a
good offshore boat.

A couple of folks did but mostly generic to Hunters, not
specifically directed at the H-34. Note that Frank M. who
had a pretty much unparalleled (AFAIK) experience with a
Hunter 34 and said very little against the boat.

If you wanna bash each other personally, I'd just
as soon you took it offline.

I would too.

Better yet, trade land addresses so you
can get together and really duke it out.

A couple of the bashers have been known to post other
people's addresses (incorrectly, in at least one case) and
personal info, but are apparently too cowardly to actually
meet in person.

Regards
Doug King

Default hunter 34

Yes i have decided that the hunter suits my life style and price range.

what i was looking for was a responce to the negative in terms of
constructive fault finding IE kingpost rots/holding tank known to be a
problem. plastic porthole/window surounds known to be leaky.
engine a pig to get to ECT.

You can just about count on leaky windows if someone has not done a
full job on them. For what it's worth, this is a problem found on a lot
of boats at all price levels. The Hunter ports had it the worst in
climate like NY, totally unable to handle the wide temp variations.
Both the 34 and the 40 we had here had leaky windows, but surprisingly
dry decks.

Robert
35s5
NY

Default hunter 34... rescue

"I hope he gets his boat back."

That opens up another parentheses. Not too long ago the maritime
jurisprudence was that if a boat/ship was abandoned at sea it became the
property of anyone who was able to rescue or salvage it. Recent events may
have changed that age old policy?
A few year ago one of my friend's boat sunk during a storm. His insurance
paid him for the same year and model replacement.
However, went if comes to abandonment I do not know how this insurance
company handle the case. If the boat is located it will have to be towed
away to prevent navigation hazard. Then towing, docking and handling will
have to be paid. Then the damage have to be evaluated. If the boat is a
write off it will have to be disposed at a cost. Again I do not know how the
insurance will react?
When my boat got damaged during an hurricane I had to pull teeth, get an
official weather report and debated it with the insurance company before
getting paid.

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
wrote:

Thanks for your feedback. I will use it in the very near future.

"I hope he gets his boat back.'

I meant that seriously... a lot of boats keep afloat thru unbelievable
weather or other difficulties and are salvaged. We've had a number of
boats come ashore here in NC and some found their way beck to the owners'
hands.

At first we tough he got rescued by a container ship. At supper it was
confirmed that the US Coast Guard did the rescue close to Bermuda.

Glad to hear it's confirmed they are safe.

DSK

DSK wrote:
....snip...
A couple of folks did but mostly generic to Hunters, not
specifically directed at the H-34. Note that Frank M. who
had a pretty much unparalleled (AFAIK) experience with a
Hunter 34 and said very little against the boat.

Hi, Doug,

How ya doing?

I could certainly go on at length about the weakensses of the H34; but
anyone who's owned any boat for any length of time could do that for
that particular marque or model.

It is a price-point boat. There are a number of caveats for a potential
buyer.

There is also the fact that you get a lot of bang for the buck. And my
kids preferred the interior to the interior of the C&C 39 we looked at,
which I preferred overall; but when you're living aboard, liveability
hasta count for something.

And how many days out of the year do any of us spend offshore,
especially in harsh conditions? I've crossed the Atlantic and raced in
the Pacific. The worst conditions I ever faced were on this "cheap,"
"crappy" Hunter. She brought us through that and survived Katrina,
Rita, and Wilma.

What else can you ask of a boat?

Frank

"What else can you ask of a boat?

I am seriously looking a the new Hunter 33.
Can you tell a little about the Hunter 34 rudder design.

"Frank" wrote in message
ups.com...
DSK wrote:
...snip...
[...]

Thanks Dave, you have clarified it very well.
"The right to a salvage award creates a lien on the vessel in favor of the
salvor, and if the lien is not discharged by payment the lien holder could
require sale of the vessel to satisfy the award."
I see a thin line between an award and a prize.
At the end the award could outweigh the residual value of the vessel. By
the time all bills are paid it may more feasible for the owner to forgo his
vessel to the salvor. At one time, when I had a short wave radio I found it
very interesting to monitor the salvaging (Towing) companies during may day
and storms.

"Dave" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 02:44:09 GMT, said:

Not too long ago the maritime
jurisprudence was that if a boat/ship was abandoned at sea it became the
property of anyone who was able to rescue or salvage it.

I think you may be a bit confused here. The law for a very long time has
been that one who salvages a vessel is entitled to a salvage award, with
the
amount of the award based on a number of factors, including among other
things the skill required and the danger incurred in the salvage
operations.
The right to a salvage award creates a lien on the vessel in favor of the
salvor, and if the lien is not discharged by payment the lien holder could
require sale of the vessel to satisfy the award. But the act of salvage
does
not in and of itself transfer title to the vessel to the salvor, whether
or
not the vessel was abandoned at sea.

shaun wrote:
Peter wrote:

snip

Back to the orig qestion - I think Shaun is looking for confirmation
because it appears he's already decided to buy the Hunter.

What the hell,Shaun. Pick the weather, you can coast-hop north without
probs in anything. The tidal currents north of Broome mean that almost
any sailboat is gonna have probs so how big an engine do you have and
what's the speed over ground fighting an 8 knot tidal current? From
Darwin it's an easy run west to Indonesia, Christmas Island, Cocos
group or over to the Chagos. Coming home is where I'd be a bit
concerned - the westerlies may not treat that tall rig & relatively
lightweight hull construction all that kindly, but what the hell - if
that's what you want, do it.

PDW - who lives south of 42 S

Yes i have decided that the hunter suits my life style and price range.
what i was looking for was a responce to the negative in terms of
constructive fault finding IE kingpost rots/holding tank known to be a
problem. plastic porthole/window surounds known to be leaky.
engine a pig to get to ECT.

IMO *every* commercial hull has crap engine access but perhaps I'm
biased.

As for the tall rig....i thought a reef was the solution to that.
Thats why i plan to have tripple reef points fitted, because she has a
lot of sail for the hull not because of foul weather (at least i hope
not) :-)
And as for north sailing
Exmouth is about as far north as i want to go and from mem the tides max
out at about 2 meters there...give or take :-)

Ah ok, that's not too bad. I used to do Darwin to Broome quite a bit
back in the 80's. Still remember trying to get into Shark Bay against
the tide one time. In the end we just gave up & went off to drink more
beer. 8 to 10 metres tide range tho.

South around to Albany & Esperance is nice. Might need a good engine to
get back again.

PDW