Default hunter 34

"Troll Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

Without a broker's license

Once again, DSK allows everyone to see his ignorance and

Scotty is
along for the ride. snip rst of troll.....

if it smells like a troll....

if it walks like a troll.....

if it talks like a troll........

DSK DSK is offline

Default hunter 34... broker

said:
At first the broker denied the existence of the list and informed him that
it was the buyer's responsibility to ascertain that all the promised
equipment was delivered with the sailboat.

Dave wrote:
The broker was, of course, right. He's getting paid to bring the parties
together, not to guaranty either what the seller says about the boat or that
the buyer will actually pay the agreed price.

OTOH there is in fact such a thing as misrepresentation, bad
faith, and fraud.

If you think it's perfectly OK to sell somebody a boat, hand
over a list of equipment to be included, make a contract on
that basis, and then break the contract, I suggest you don't
really have any business doing business.

But as a matter of customer relations most will try to help the buyer and
seller resolve such disputes if they arise.

Also as a matter of keeping their business license.

Fraud is illegal in all 50 states. So is breaking a contract.

It's also possible that the broker in the OP's situation
described above was just plain stupid. They're not all
rocket surgeons. Most are in the business because they
really really like boats.

DSK

The seller gets his boat advertised widely and represented
favorably to a larger number of buyers than he could do
himself. The buyer gets to choose from a wider range of
boats than he could otherwise, and (in theory) has a
professional supervising the transfer of ownership so that
neither party gets robbed.

This is a very uneducated summation of what a broker can do. Better
brokers, like the ones found here, can also have a full service
facility. For the most part I think it's best to deal with full service
yard/brokers when possible. Here are some of the advantages of dealing
with us:

1) Large selection
2) Extended warranty on some new boats and engines.
3) Quick modifications of a vessel worked into a deal
4) FREE sea trial of every boat we sell.
5) Easy handling of red tape for documentation and
registration/insurance.
6) Someone to turn to if you have a problem after the deal is done.
7) Better pricing in some situations where mods and repairs are
required.

If your broker can't do this or most of this, you might as well buy
privately if you can. My guess is that DSK thinks a full service broker
works on 10% as well.

Robert
35s5
NY

" Rob" wrote in message
oups.com..
..

4) FREE sea trial of every boat we sell.

other brokers charge for this?

SBV

DSK DSK is offline

"Capt" Rob wrote:
This is a very uneducated summation of what a broker can do. Better
brokers, like the ones found here

Found where? Spamming this usenet news group?

... Here are some of the advantages of dealing
with us:

1) Large selection
2) Extended warranty on some new boats and engines.
3) Quick modifications of a vessel worked into a deal
4) FREE sea trial of every boat we sell.
5) Easy handling of red tape for documentation and
registration/insurance.
6) Someone to turn to if you have a problem after the deal is done.
7) Better pricing in some situations where mods and repairs are
required.

If your broker can't do this or most of this, you might as well buy
privately if you can.

And you back this up with what, your surveyor's accredation
and your broker's license? Or your claim to the title "Captain"?

DSK

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
"Capt" Rob wrote:

7) Better pricing in some situations

So, worse pricing in other situations?

SBV

DSK DSK is offline

"Capt" Rob said:
the contract
clearly lists the gear included and we are OBLIGATED to make good on
that whether the boat is ours or not.

Dave wrote:
What is the basis of this conclusion? Does the broker's contract with the
seller say so?

Umm, yes.
If the buyer signs a contract to buy the boat, *with*
specifically listed gear included, then that contracts "says
so."

Maybe your understanding of contracts is different. Let's
say just for example, a licensed broker decides that he
wants more than just his commission, so he strips off the
nicest gear from a yacht he just brokered and sells the
stuff on Ebay. Is this ethical IYHO? Is it legal? Is it
acting within the expectations of profession conduct? Is it
acting in good faith? Does the buyers 'due diligence'
include protecting himself from the expectation that the
broker is going to steal?

Regards
Doug King

other brokers charge for this?

Have you ever shopped for a boat. There are many small brokers that
don't offer a sea trial at all.

Robert
35s5
NY

And you back this up with what, your surveyor's accredation
and your broker's license? Or your claim to the title "Captain"?

Our brokers license is certainly at risk is we make promises we can't
keep. This is a long standing business. I've never claimed to be a
license captain, but it looks like I'll have to be soon.

Robert
35s5
NY