Default hunter 34... broker

Just a little before was another Canadian sailboat Magique had to be
abandoned close to Bermuda. It lost its rudder during the height of the
storm and the crew was rescued by the US Coast Guard.

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
A Canadian Navy frigate is presently on its way to rescue another
Canadian Sailboat at about 650 miles south of Yarmouth Nova Scotia. It is
reported that the winds are very strong and the sea rough enough for the
Frigate to use storm tactics and to proceed with caution. One of the
tactics used is to point into the wind with the engine geared at the
proper speed until the worst is over.

I just received this email from close friends who had spent the summer in
Shelburne, and sewed a new dodger for the boat:

News clipping from Canadian Globe and Mail which details the trial of our
friends from Shelburne. Rochelle 4 is the boat we did all the sewing for.

According to our sources they were rolled and dismasted in winds 40-50
SE and seas to 24 ft. Sheila broke her arm in the rollover. The boat
was a 47 ft Erickson, flush deck, 80's era substantial IOR offshore racer.
All are experienced sailors. They had put a lot of work into the boat it
is sad to see them have to leave it but in the circumstances I think it
the correct decision.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home

We learned of this as the rescue was happening. Very strange to be
enjoying a nice sail down the Chesapeake while our friends were in a
survival situation.

More later.

Default hunter 34

Jeff wrote:
shaun wrote:

Jeff wrote:
snip

Not really. Even though I've been on dozens of trips 10 times longer
than your little hop, including being 50 miles offshore a number of
times, I wouldn't presume to advise on the offshore capability of a
vessel other than one I've actually sailed in heavy weather, on a
real ocean.
snip

50 miles offshore.....wow....was it bad.....did the boat tip.....

Not very likely. Actually I had more offshore experience in previous
(and other person's) boats. Now I travel with wife and kid; they're not
as fond of slugging through weather in the middle of the night as I used
to be.

http://www.rlyachts.net/index24.asp
in that case this little boat is a world cruiser too.
i have had this out in one of our (storms) fresh breeze to us
broached surfing down a wave ...yes i was being and idiot but i was
having a ball at the time from memory the forecast at the time 40 to
45 knot winds 3 meter swell with 2 to 3 meter waves.yes i was knackerd
after wards sore bruised ribs ect does it stop me NO.

If this is what you consider an offshore boat why are you asking about
Hunters?

Wind and waves do not bother me....reefs fog big tides yes that makes
me very nervous and those great big slab sided things called container
ships scare the **** outa me.
P.S does the Indian ocean qualify as a REAL ocean

Here in New England we don't have reefs, but do have rocks, lots of fog,
and big tides. The container ships we send to New York.

The North Atlantic counts as a real ocean too, but most of us stay off
it during the winter.

Sorry ..i was pulling your leg..
no the little rl24 is ok for a hop or simular but not a real trip.
Shaun

Peter wrote:

snip

Back to the orig qestion - I think Shaun is looking for confirmation
because it appears he's already decided to buy the Hunter.

What the hell,Shaun. Pick the weather, you can coast-hop north without
probs in anything. The tidal currents north of Broome mean that almost
any sailboat is gonna have probs so how big an engine do you have and
what's the speed over ground fighting an 8 knot tidal current? From
Darwin it's an easy run west to Indonesia, Christmas Island, Cocos
group or over to the Chagos. Coming home is where I'd be a bit
concerned - the westerlies may not treat that tall rig & relatively
lightweight hull construction all that kindly, but what the hell - if
that's what you want, do it.

PDW - who lives south of 42 S

Yes i have decided that the hunter suits my life style and price range.
what i was looking for was a responce to the negative in terms of
constructive fault finding IE kingpost rots/holding tank known to be a
problem. plastic porthole/window surounds known to be leaky.
engine a pig to get to ECT.
As for the tall rig....i thought a reef was the solution to that.
Thats why i plan to have tripple reef points fitted, because she has a
lot of sail for the hull not because of foul weather (at least i hope
not) :-)
And as for north sailing
Exmouth is about as far north as i want to go and from mem the tides max
out at about 2 meters there...give or take :-)
Shaun

shaun wrote:
Jeff wrote:
shaun wrote:

Wind and waves do not bother me....reefs fog big tides yes that makes
me very nervous and those great big slab sided things called
container ships scare the **** outa me.
P.S does the Indian ocean qualify as a REAL ocean

Here in New England we don't have reefs, but do have rocks, lots of
fog, and big tides. The container ships we send to New York.

The North Atlantic counts as a real ocean too, but most of us stay off
it during the winter.

Sorry ..i was pulling your leg..
no the little rl24 is ok for a hop or simular but not a real trip.

No need to apologize - From what I saw of the Western Australia waters
from the America's Cup in Fremantle, anyone who would go out in that
in a trailer boat is entitled to do a little leg pulling.

But what's this about tides? It looks like the tidal range for most
of WA is under a meter, though Exmouth gets up over 2 meters. Here in
Boston its 3 meters, and gets up towards 4 meters near the Canadian
border. Of course, if you go further, the tides get extreme - spring
tides of 16 meters are found.

I've always wanted to do the Reversing Falls in St. John:
http://www.pelorus-jack.com/boat/02_...nd/canada.html

"Jeff" wrote in message
But what's this about tides? It looks like the tidal range for most of WA
is under a meter, though Exmouth gets up over 2 meters. Here in Boston
its 3 meters, and gets up towards 4 meters near the Canadian border. Of
course, if you go further, the tides get extreme - spring tides of 16
meters are found.

I've always wanted to do the Reversing Falls in St. John:
http://www.pelorus-jack.com/boat/02_...nd/canada.html

You folks ain't seen nothing 'til you've had to deal with tides like we have
in Green Bay. Why there was a time this past summer when we had a whopping
six inches. Top THAT! ;-)

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 09:25:43 -0500, Jeff wrote:

We learned of this as the rescue was happening. Very strange to be
enjoying a nice sail down the Chesapeake while our friends were in a
survival situation.

Good decisions lead to good outcomes, and vice versa.

Sorry to hear about your friend's problem but what the heck were they
thinking of this time of year?

Wayne.B wrote:
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 09:25:43 -0500, Jeff wrote:

We learned of this as the rescue was happening. Very strange to be
enjoying a nice sail down the Chesapeake while our friends were in a
survival situation.

Good decisions lead to good outcomes, and vice versa.

Sorry to hear about your friend's problem but what the heck were they
thinking of this time of year?

Actually, my friends (the authors of the email) are the ones who took
the coastal route - I visited with them in Portsmouth and again in
Onset, now they're on the Chesapeake, headed towards South Carolina.
This is more my style of cruising nowadays.

Their friends, of whom they've often spoken but I've never met, are
the ones that got rescued. I'm sure I'll get a fuller story in the
coming weeks. In particular, I'm wondering if they had planned to go
earlier and got delayed, or were they waiting out the hurricane season.

Although not much could tempt me to do that trip this time of year,
there is a perception that mid-November to mid-December is a window
between the hurricanes and the winter storms, so there's always a few
boats that try. But it seems like a crap shoot to me, and every year
there's a story like this one.

I wonder if they scuttled the sailboat; it sounded like it was
floating well, and perhaps it will turn up somewhere.

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:18:18 -0500, Jeff wrote:

there is a perception that mid-November to mid-December is a window
between the hurricanes and the winter storms, so there's always a few
boats that try. But it seems like a crap shoot to me, and every year
there's a story like this one.

The risk of hurricanes and tropical storms is largely over by the end
of October but there are ferocious low pressure systems that sweep
through from Canada and the mid-west in November. It's much less
risky to take a coastal route as far south as possible before heading
east to Bermuda.

Leaving from Newport, RI instead of Nova Scotia saves 300 to 400
miles of open ocean exposure. Leaving from North Carolina saves no
distance but gets you quickly into somewhat more stable weather once
you clear Hatteras and the Gulf Stream.

KLC Lewis wrote:

"Jeff" wrote in message

But what's this about tides? It looks like the tidal range for most of WA
is under a meter, though Exmouth gets up over 2 meters. Here in Boston
its 3 meters, and gets up towards 4 meters near the Canadian border. Of
course, if you go further, the tides get extreme - spring tides of 16
meters are found.

I've always wanted to do the Reversing Falls in St. John:
http://www.pelorus-jack.com/boat/02_...nd/canada.html

You folks ain't seen nothing 'til you've had to deal with tides like we have
in Green Bay. Why there was a time this past summer when we had a whopping
six inches. Top THAT! ;-)

Now thats what i call a tide to be scared of...:-)
Shaun

Default Porta-Bote

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On 10 Nov 2006 05:35:32 -0800, "Capt. Rob"

wrote:

This is odd, Rob. Previously, you said you bought a

Porta-bote, and then gave it
to your father. Which story is the real one?

Now Chuckie, you know he said that on ASA, where nothing is
real. Rob's starting a clean slate here on rbc. Just
forget everything he's ever written in the past.

SBV