posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default The Best Cockpit, not a 35.5 MG midget

I got back a few days ago from spending 5 nights on moorings in the
middle of the worst heat wave we've had here in years. We were never
too hot at night, and usually slept under a blanket.

Jeff, during our heatwave here we had several nights just below 100
degrees. On the water was no better. Puh-lease cut the crap. If you're
comfortable at 95 or even 85 degrees, fine. I'm not. In fact I always
like it closer to 70 degrees or even a bit colder. My wife likes it
hotter, but Thomas seems to be more like me. We would have fried on any
boat in those temps without ac. we have 2 opening ports and a door to
open, so we can make a breeze no problem...accept that it's a hot
breeze.
We certainly would never take Thomas out in 104 degree weather or make
him sweat in a 95 degree cabin. All the vents in the word can't change
that, pal.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

If that isn't powerboat thinking, I don't
know what is!

Powerboat thinking is not about air conditiioning, Jeff. It's about
powerboating. It's about selling your sailboat and buying a powerboat.
There's only one person here who's done that.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Capt.Mooron wrote:

I've done 22 hours on the helm, at the tiller, except for a brief stint solo
on the foredeck to change headsail .... sailing through a storm all
night... blowing 35 to 40..... going upwind.... no engine at all.... narrow
channel... remote location..... no running lights.... 6 of us aboard.

Sounded like a lot of fun until you get to the 6 other
people on board. What the heck were they doing all this
time? Are you that much of a tiller-hog??

Sounds like mal-de-mer might have been a problem?

I dropped hook at 0618hrs in Devil's Channel.... drank half a bottle of rum,
scowled at the crew and hit the bunk.... lights out.

That's a sail I remember..... fondly

How do the other people remember it?

CM
"I just can't explain how good 4" of high density foam feels"

'Hunger is the best sauce' -old saying

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bob, if you had ever done any real cruising outside of your tiny
corner of LIS, you would know how stupid you sound.

First of all, even Laguardia did not register any nights "just below
100," there was one where the low was 86, and a few others at 80 to
83. However, that is the temperature on land. A major reason to
anchor out (or take a mooring) is to get away from the heat of the
land. In LIS, the surface water temp is about 75 degrees. Any boat
with good ventilation will get chilled down to that if there is any
wind. The night of the worst heat was quite windy, over 10 all night
long with gusts up to about 20 knots. On my boat, it would have been
chilly! For the 5 nights we were out there was maybe 2 hours where I
slept over the blankets because the wind went flat, other than that we
were under the covers. Even in light air, a wind scoop will usually
gather enough air to be effective, but I only bother to rig that if
the water temp is over 80. In fact, the last night the water temp
(in Boston Harbor) had dipped to about 70 and I had to scavenge for a
second blanket.

I won't argue that A/C is handy if you're forced to tie up at the
marina every night. In that case the air that's coming in is likely
coming from heated land and buildings. But anyone who cruises
appreciates that with good ventilation, A/C is not needed if you
anchor out.

And being able to open you door so you get some of the air that comes
though the forward hatch does not count as "good ventilation."

Capt. Rob wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"DSK" wrote in message

Sounded like a lot of fun until you get to the 6 other people on board.
What the heck were they doing all this time? Are you that much of a
tiller-hog??

Playing cards for a while.... sleeping.... drinking. It was really bad
weather and we had a long haul to make it to a secure harbour. I wouldn't
trust anyone at the helm in those conditions. One screw up might have placed
us in dire circumstances. No engine... so no option to power out of a bad
situation. Best to keep the crew hunkered down and let the talent take over.
I usually sail like I'm single handing.... only allowing helm and set
changes to crew in good weather. I only know a handful of sailors I would
trust to helm the boat in bad conditions while off watch.... none of them
were aboard at the time.

Sounds like mal-de-mer might have been a problem?

Nope..... a few shots of overproof rum cures mal de mer in a hurry. It's all
inner ear balance.... alcohol numbs that and reduces the effect level.

How do the other people remember it?

They thought it was great! I didn't let on that it was anything but SOP.
They bragged about it for months... like they actually sailed the boat. I
never bothered to correct that impression. The other boats I assisted
enroute only added to the boat's reputation as _The_ Boat you want to have
around when the weather goes south in a hurry. I've never taken the
credit... I always refer that the 'boat" brought us in safely.

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Jeff wrote:
Bob, if you had ever done any real cruising outside of your tiny
corner of LIS, you would know how stupid you sound.

First of all, even Laguardia did not register any nights "just below
100," there was one where the low was 86, and a few others at 80 to
83. However, that is the temperature on land. A major reason to
anchor out (or take a mooring) is to get away from the heat of the
land. In LIS, the surface water temp is about 75 degrees.

Burr, if you have 75- water you should have a cool breeze for sure. I
did see on the news that NYC creates it's own weather with all the
cement and asphalt, holding night time temps 15-20 degrees hotter than
it should be. Here if you get out on the bay as the sun sets you feel
the waves of hot land air and cool gulf air mixing. Like a blast of a
hair dryer followed by the feeling like someone opened a huge fridge
door. Hot cold hot cold...Make's for great mirages.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:32:09 -0400, Jeff

said:

Capt. Rob wrote:
We would have fried on any
boat in those temps without ac. we have 2 opening ports

and a door to
open, so we can make a breeze no problem...accept that

it's a hot
breeze.

Like you, Jeff, I was completely comfortable on the

mooring, with a
comfortable breeze through the cabin. Too bad Rob has to

suffer in the
doldrums tied up to a dock at his marina, and cringe below

with his AC on.

Some people like 'roughing it'.

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. Rob wrote:
If that isn't powerboat thinking, I don't
know what is!

Powerboat thinking is not about air conditiioning, Jeff. It's about
powerboating. It's about selling your sailboat and buying a powerboat.

Powerboat thinking is putting in an aft cabin with poor ventilation
and then claiming its a feature because it requires you to add a
genset to run the A/C at night on a mooring.

At my marina most of the powerboats over 25 feet have A/C, but I don't
think any of the sailboats do (certainly none run on daily basis).

You may daysail, but you have a powerboat mentality.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Powerboat thinking is putting in an aft cabin with poor ventilation
and then claiming its a feature because it requires you to add a
genset to run the A/C at night on a mooring.

Well, then every sailboat I've ever been on needs air conditioning.
I've never gone into a sailboat cabin on a 90+ degree day and found it
"cool." Sorry, you either like the heat or are full of crap.

At my marina most of the powerboats over 25 feet have A/C, but I
don't
think any of the sailboats do (certainly none run on daily basis).

Maybe people your way have no money! About half the sailboats here have
A/C and everyone who doesn't have it wishes they did. I guess you never
do anything below on really hot days!
Or maybe you're suggesting your cabin is a healthy 75 degrees on a 95
degree day???

Jeff, you not only sound like an idiot...you are one. Can you explain
the advantage of not having AC on board??? Is it too heavy??? Too
complicated for you? Too expensive??? To nice to be comfortable on
really hot days when fixing that head of yours? You're courting a heat
stroke, dude.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
Capt. Rob wrote:
If that isn't powerboat thinking, I don't
know what is!

Powerboat thinking is not about air conditiioning, Jeff.

It's about
powerboating. It's about selling your sailboat and

buying a powerboat.

Powerboat thinking is putting in an aft cabin with poor

ventilation
and then claiming its a feature because it requires you to

add a
genset to run the A/C at night on a mooring.

At my marina most of the powerboats over 25 feet have A/C,

but I don't
think any of the sailboats do (certainly none run on daily

basis).

You may daysail, but you have a powerboat mentality.

he's really a land lubber.

The Better Cockpit Capt. Rob ASA 51 August 9th 06 01:37 AM
cleaning out cockpit drains?? Chris Cruising 9 May 8th 05 05:34 PM
Speaking of cockpit drains JG Cruising 5 May 7th 05 01:35 AM
Need foam fiberglas cockpit comments NT Boat Building 1 March 24th 04 07:54 AM
( OT ) Bush booted from cockpit? Jim General 12 March 16th 04 07:47 PM