Chris

Default cleaning out cockpit drains??

My cockpit lockers are connected with reinforced hose to the cockpit
drains also reinforced hose down to sea cocks of bronze.
The lockers are draining slowly years of small particle's I assume
building up in the hose. I've flushed with hose from the dock lots of
pressure but still slow going. Some Say Muriatic acid any suggestions
out there

Jeff

Chris wrote:
My cockpit lockers are connected with reinforced hose to the cockpit
drains also reinforced hose down to sea cocks of bronze.
The lockers are draining slowly years of small particle's I assume
building up in the hose. I've flushed with hose from the dock lots of
pressure but still slow going. Some Say Muriatic acid any suggestions
out there

I suppose it might work - A neighboring skipper does some fridge work
and as part of his "general overhaul" he flushes the condenser with
muriatic acid.

I have an el cheapo powerwash ($80 at a "seconds outlet", $140 at
Costco) that does a good job of blasting drain hoses. All of my deck
lockers have nice drains around the top lip but the hoses (actually
the fittings) are just too small and they get clogged with leaves,
especially during winter layup.
Jere Lull

In article .com,
"Chris" wrote:

My cockpit lockers are connected with reinforced hose to the cockpit
drains also reinforced hose down to sea cocks of bronze.
The lockers are draining slowly years of small particle's I assume
building up in the hose. I've flushed with hose from the dock lots of
pressure but still slow going. Some Say Muriatic acid any suggestions
out there

I'd try less-drastic methods first. Off the top of my head: Spraying
down the hose, then up. A bottle-washer scrubbed around. Take the hose
off and replace (it's probably time anyway). Take care, of course, as
you could see a lot of water if the through hull is below water. In that
case, I'd expect growth in the through hull.

--
Jere Lull

Chris

Thanks for the recommendations and I know it's time...few things last
twenty years! I'll have to climb over 6 batteries, weave inside a
watermaker, curl around the steering quadrant all while pulling up
wards on a fused reinforced hose firmly attached to the barb...so a six
pack at least will be in order.

Jere Lull

In article .com,
"Chris" wrote:

Thanks for the recommendations and I know it's time...few things last
twenty years! I'll have to climb over 6 batteries, weave inside a
watermaker, curl around the steering quadrant all while pulling up
wards on a fused reinforced hose firmly attached to the barb...so a six
pack at least will be in order.

Excuse me if I'm being too obvious, but it sounds like some of those
things should be put elsewhere while you're flailing about. And have a
helper for those things you forgot.

And a good sharp knife and/or tin snips can help if you expect to
replace anyways. (I would, since I wouldn't want to crawl back there to
inspect next season.)

--
Jere Lull

MMC

How about one of those short toilet snakes they sell at Walmart? Not sure
the flared "head" would make it through the thru hull, maybe turn it around
backwards?
Might check your seacocks first in case things get exciting!
"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the recommendations and I know it's time...few things last
twenty years! I'll have to climb over 6 batteries, weave inside a
watermaker, curl around the steering quadrant all while pulling up
wards on a fused reinforced hose firmly attached to the barb...so a six
pack at least will be in order.

Skipper

On 4 May 2005 15:03:04 -0700, "Chris" wrote:

My cockpit lockers are connected with reinforced hose to the cockpit
drains also reinforced hose down to sea cocks of bronze.
The lockers are draining slowly years of small particle's I assume
building up in the hose. I've flushed with hose from the dock lots of
pressure but still slow going. Some Say Muriatic acid any suggestions
out there

Something I use occasionally for cleaning is dishwasher detergent.
It seems to contain some TSP. Disolve some in warm water, shut to
seacock, and let it stand in the line for an hour or two. Then rinse.
Back-flush if you can.
If the hose is several years old, I'd suggest replacing it during
your next haul-out.

Need foam fiberglas cockpit comments NT Boat Building 1 March 24th 04 07:54 AM
( OT ) Bush booted from cockpit? Jim General 12 March 16th 04 07:47 PM
Dual use of Cockpit Speakers?? Steve Cruising 40 February 6th 04 06:10 AM
DIY sail cleaning ? Sven General 7 December 24th 03 10:31 PM
Clogged Cockpit Drains Joe Wood Cruising 7 August 30th 03 05:25 AM