NT

Default Need foam fiberglas cockpit comments

I have a 52' center cockpit custom sloop. I want to change the forward
cockpit combing on the outside of the cockpit to make it easier to
attach and seal a hard dodger. The combing at one point is only about
4" wide/thick - I want to increase that to maybe 10" and and take some
of the curve out of the front by making it more "faceted" as opposed
to curved - make it more like a 1/2 hexagon rather than the 1/2 circle
it is now.

I'm thinking something like a build up of maybe 1" foam sheets that
are epoxied to the gelcoat, enough to get the thickness - then some
sawing shaping process to get the rounded facets, then layers of
glass, and finally Awlgrip.

It could also be done with 1/2" ply and glass, etc. Maybe this would
be easier?

I imagine fairly dense foam would be best - any recommendations. I
need to be able to buy it in the LA area.

Evan Gatehouse

"NT" wrote in message
[...]

- I think foam is a lot easier to shape. You're going to be doing fairing
anyway, why make it harder with a plywood core?
- I don't think particularly dense foam is required. 80 kg/m3 = 5 lb/ft3
Klegecell, Dinvylcell, Corecell, Airex etc. will all work. You really only
use dense foam where you have high bolting stresses like winches attached,
slamming loads like high speed boats forward hull, etc.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)