Robert Allen

Default Question about Sea Sport 2200, and foam core boats

A friend and I are considering buying a new Sea Sport 2200. This is a 22'
fishing boat with cabin which is about $50k new, without electronics. Sea
Sport has supposedly been around a long time, but they use 1/2" PVC foam
cores in their hulls and deck. The hulls are cored below the waterline and
solid fiberglass above the waterline (I'm not sure exactly why). My concern
is the various websites which claim that foam or balsa cored boats are
subject to rot from the slightest intrusion, including holes drilled during
assembly, mounting of electronics, etc. The boat *seems* really nice, and
we're doing a sea trial in a couple days. But the question of longevity, or
of the viability of having thru-hull fish finder transducers installed in a
cored boat, leave us a bit uneasy.

So, what are peoples opinions about Sea Sports in particular, and foam cored
boats in general?

Thanks!

Robert
mailto