NT

Default Need foam fiberglas cockpit comments

I have a 52' center cockpit custom sloop. I want to change the forward
cockpit combing on the outside of the cockpit to make it easier to
attach and seal a hard dodger. The combing at one point is only about
4" wide/thick - I want to increase that to maybe 10" and and take some
of the curve out of the front by making it more "faceted" as opposed
to curved - make it more like a 1/2 hexagon rather than the 1/2 circle
it is now.

I'm thinking something like a build up of maybe 1" foam sheets that
are epoxied to the gelcoat, enough to get the thickness - then some
sawing shaping process to get the rounded facets, then layers of
glass, and finally Awlgrip.

It could also be done with 1/2" ply and glass, etc. Maybe this would
be easier?

I imagine fairly dense foam would be best - any recommendations. I
need to be able to buy it in the LA area.