posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron Capt.Mooron is offline

Default The Best Cockpit, not a 35.5 MG midget

"DSK" wrote in message

Sounded like a lot of fun until you get to the 6 other people on board.
What the heck were they doing all this time? Are you that much of a
tiller-hog??

Playing cards for a while.... sleeping.... drinking. It was really bad
weather and we had a long haul to make it to a secure harbour. I wouldn't
trust anyone at the helm in those conditions. One screw up might have placed
us in dire circumstances. No engine... so no option to power out of a bad
situation. Best to keep the crew hunkered down and let the talent take over.
I usually sail like I'm single handing.... only allowing helm and set
changes to crew in good weather. I only know a handful of sailors I would
trust to helm the boat in bad conditions while off watch.... none of them
were aboard at the time.

Sounds like mal-de-mer might have been a problem?

Nope..... a few shots of overproof rum cures mal de mer in a hurry. It's all
inner ear balance.... alcohol numbs that and reduces the effect level.

How do the other people remember it?

They thought it was great! I didn't let on that it was anything but SOP.
They bragged about it for months... like they actually sailed the boat. I
never bothered to correct that impression. The other boats I assisted
enroute only added to the boat's reputation as _The_ Boat you want to have
around when the weather goes south in a hurry. I've never taken the
credit... I always refer that the 'boat" brought us in safely.

CM