JG

Default Speaking of cockpit drains

"Steven Shelikoff" wrote in message
Anyone have any good suggestions for keeping the strainers on the
cockpit drains clear? I went to the boat yesterday and again the drains
were clogged with debris caught by the strainers. Anything that happens
to fall in the cockpit (leaves, small twigs) have nowhere else to go
except the drain. It clogs, the cockpit fills with rainwater and it
eventually fills up as high as the companionway and gets into the boat.

One little swipe across the strainers to pick up the debris and the
cockpit drains fast. But I'd love to prevent them from clogging in the
first place.

Steve

You can create a wire mesh that sticks up slightly from the surface of the
floor. This should keep the debris from clogging. I believe there was an
interesting design of this in Sail Mag a while ago. If I can find the issue,
I'll post it.

Andy

Steven Shelikoff wrote:
Anyone have any good suggestions for keeping the strainers on the
cockpit drains clear? I went to the boat yesterday and again the

drains
were clogged with debris caught by the strainers. Anything that

happens
to fall in the cockpit (leaves, small twigs) have nowhere else to go
except the drain. It clogs, the cockpit fills with rainwater and it
eventually fills up as high as the companionway and gets into the

boat.

My cockpit drains never had strainers so I never had that problem. Of
course the problem I did have was occasionally droping things in the
cockpit and then losing them forever down the drain.

Andy

Denis Marier

My boat is stored in my backyard with it stern near trees.
During the winter when the cover in on the boat I have no problems.
In the fall and during the spring when the cover is off, the cockpit is
cluttered with leaves and small twigs. I have no strainers on the drains. I
have been getting away by getting the debris out of the cockpit by hand. At
time, I use the garden hose to flush the drain. If need it I use a
mechanical drain cleaner. The other solution that I find awkward is to cover
the cockpit with a plastic tap. Conversely, if your are under trees that are
dripping saps and dropping long needles a cockpit cover may be a good thing.

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Steven Shelikoff wrote:
Anyone have any good suggestions for keeping the strainers on the
cockpit drains clear? I went to the boat yesterday and again the

drains
were clogged with debris caught by the strainers. Anything that

happens
to fall in the cockpit (leaves, small twigs) have nowhere else to go
except the drain. It clogs, the cockpit fills with rainwater and it
eventually fills up as high as the companionway and gets into the

boat.

My cockpit drains never had strainers so I never had that problem. Of
course the problem I did have was occasionally droping things in the
cockpit and then losing them forever down the drain.

Andy

Lew Hodgett

"Steven Shelikoff" wrote:

Anyone have any good suggestions for keeping the strainers on the
cockpit drains clear? I went to the boat yesterday and again the drains
were clogged with debris caught by the strainers. Anything that happens
to fall in the cockpit (leaves, small twigs) have nowhere else to go
except the drain. It clogs, the cockpit fills with rainwater and it
eventually fills up as high as the companionway and gets into the boat.

snip

Go to any decent hardware store and get some rain gutter down spout
drain guards.

These days you can get them in plastic.

Shove them in cockpit drains when you leave boat, pull them when you
return since the will stand 3"-4" above cockpit sole.

Lew

JG

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Steven Shelikoff" wrote:

Anyone have any good suggestions for keeping the strainers on the
cockpit drains clear? I went to the boat yesterday and again the drains
were clogged with debris caught by the strainers. Anything that happens
to fall in the cockpit (leaves, small twigs) have nowhere else to go
except the drain. It clogs, the cockpit fills with rainwater and it
eventually fills up as high as the companionway and gets into the boat.

snip

Go to any decent hardware store and get some rain gutter down spout drain
guards.

These days you can get them in plastic.

Shove them in cockpit drains when you leave boat, pull them when you
return since the will stand 3"-4" above cockpit sole.

Lew

Good idea... you could even cut them down if you think that's too tall.