posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default The Better Cockpit

Doug once claimed that 1st series boats had small cockpits and Thom
continues to labor under that delusion. Here are the facts....

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/suzy2weby.jpg

The Heart of Gold cockpit is plenty long. Note that Julia and Thomas
sit side by side. Thomas is crosslegged and there is still room for
another person. The cockpit seats 5-6 easily plus the helmsman and
thats without using the WIDE coamings which further add to the space.
Side decks blend into the coamings (and become level when heeled). As
you can see it makes for nice additional space. Suzanne at the helm
gives an indication of how nice this area is. There is plenty of room
and the high side seating works perfectly. No matter where you are, the
wheel is at your fingerstips. The wheel does carve up space a bit, but
I can still stretch out in the cockpit. Visibility on deck is
fantastic. Behind her and out of sight is the large swim platform. Our
friend, Karen is sitting back there, dragging her dainty feet in the
water and slowing us down!
Storage is beyond excellent. Suzanne is standing on the aft lazzerette,
which is huge due to the lack of a cable based steering system. The
port side storage is shallow because of the aft cabin, but starboard
side is the biggest I've ever seen on ANY boat up to 40 feet.
Perfect amount of space and security for Thomas. Wonderful room for
guests. Fantastic "big boat" sailing feel at the helm with the awesome
R&P steering system.
Later this week, probably Wednesday, we're taking 11 people out. I'll
post pics with the 35s5 cockpit showing that it CAN'T handle 11 people!
Luckily deckspace is also great.

Heart of Gold ROCKS!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com..
..
Doug once claimed that 1st series boats had small cockpits

and Thom
continues to labor under that delusion. Here are the

facts....

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/suzy2weby.jpg

looks cramped with only 3 people.

Sudsy looks like a bus driver.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Capt. Rob wrote:
[...]

I've never seen a loose footed sail with a shelf. What's that all
about? And what are the lines leading aft by Suzys feet on each side of
the cockpit? And what is that black spot at the base of the binnaccle?
Why do you need 12 cam cleats?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

That's why the 35s5 uses the smallest dodger available for any boat its
size:

http://www.newjsi.com/east%20coast.aspx

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I've never seen a loose footed sail with a shelf. What's that all
about? And what are the lines leading aft by Suzys feet on each side of

the cockpit? And what is that black spot at the base of the binnaccle?
Why do you need 12 cam cleats?

I don't know much about this main. It's mylar and partially designed by
the last owner. It's being replaced by a dacron main from Doyle at the
end of this season.
The lines by her feet control the backstay. They lead inside the deck.
The black spot is my camera bag...a safe spot for it!
Lines in the cleats a
1) Main halyard
2) Spin Halyard
3) Jib 1
4) Jib 2
5) Mainsheet
6) boom vang
7) Topping lift
8) Reefing line

Not all are in use presently.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

looks cramped with only 3 people.

Scott Vermon can't even count!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

That's why the 35s5 uses the smallest dodger available for any boat its

size:

Has to do with height, dopey. The 35s5 Boom is quite low compared to my
C&C 32.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

"Capt" Rob" wrote..
Doug once claimed that 1st series boats had small cockpits

Did I? Better check the facts, Bubbles.

Scotty wrote:
looks cramped with only 3 people.

Sudsy looks like a bus driver.

That's not the boat's fault.

Besides, I'd be curious to know who that really is in the
picture, and if they know Bubbles is using it to "back up"
his internet fantasy life.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty,

Susy standing on the helm seat simply because there isn't room for human
body to sit comfortable behind the wheel.

Scot, that is the PRIME reason for the huge wheel; to allow the Helms
person to stand on the seat and maintain Wheel contact. It's a very poor
Helm station.
Note how the Wheel uses of the whole T
on the cut out, to give it enough rise for helmperson person; even a
small helmperson to just about reach the wheel at the top.

Another two people in the Cockpit and that's it: period. That just
abouts eliminates high siding when she starts real heeling

Hey Nutsy, nice picture.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Hey Nutsy,

About the free footed sail & shelve:------

Only can you have a shelve with a free footed main. No one has ever seen
a shelve that wasn't on a free footed Main. There is a school of
thought that a free footed main will develop air turbulence at the foot,
so they closed off the bottom with a shelve.

I've had both shelved and un-shelved, I can't tell the difference.

The biggest difference was sailing in the rain. The shelve was (is) a
great rain catcher. You don't want to be on the down side during a tack.
Gallons of water are dumped into the cockpit.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

Bodging a Safety Strap to the inside of my cockpit. ChipsCheeseandMayo UK Paddle 5 July 11th 05 10:28 AM
Speaking of cockpit drains JG Cruising 5 May 7th 05 01:35 AM
Need foam fiberglas cockpit comments NT Boat Building 1 March 24th 04 07:54 AM
( OT ) Bush booted from cockpit? Jim General 12 March 16th 04 07:47 PM
Enlarging Arctic Hawk Cockpit Rim KAYAKFAN Touring 12 December 7th 03 01:08 PM