Bell

That's sorta my point. In this particular case, "Nav" doesn't either.

Donal wrote:
"Bell" wrote in message
I could call myself "Millionaire" but it wouldn't make me one would
it?

These days "Millionaire" doesn't mean much.

Regards

Donal

Capt. Neal®

"Lady Pilot" wrote in message news:gh2vd.94927$EZ.23103@okepread07...

"Capt. Neal®" wrote:

You don't read any better than you sail.

The lady plainly stated she looks like she needs to
eat now. She's saying she's becoming a bit thin.
(which is a good thing, btw- thin is sexy)

Now, stop harassing her and go get a life you
worthless little PUTZ!

How refreshing! A man with reading comprehension and a sense of honor. I'm
impressed! ;-)

LP

Careful LP.

As Khan said, "Such men TAKE what they desire."

CN

Nav

Yes, I'd say the meaning of Gar is central. The question is, what language?

Cheers

Scout wrote:

the 'gar' prefix seems important. Looks like the origin is the Dutch word
for "cooked" or "done".
I would think it would be put in place early in the process, so "done"
didn't work for me. But I remember building a small boat when I was a kid
and we steamed or "cooked" the boards to make them pliable.
Ok, I give.
Scout

"Nav" wrote in message

I don't think so.

Cheers

Scout wrote:

hmmm,
does 'gar' refer to some heat treatment done to help shape the board?
Scout

"Nav" wrote

Why is the garboard strake so called?

Nav

Overproof wrote:

Nav couldn't tell a Garboard Stake from a Sheer strake....

I expected better than this from you. I wonder if it's worth the effort
of getting out the filleting knife again.

Cheers

DSK

Scout wrote:
the 'gar' prefix seems important. Looks like the origin is the Dutch word
for "cooked" or "done".
I would think it would be put in place early in the process, so "done"
didn't work for me. But I remember building a small boat when I was a kid
and we steamed or "cooked" the boards to make them pliable.

No no no.... "Gar" is a kind of fish

http://w3.trib.com/~garland/garfish.html

http://www.taxidermy.net/reference/fish/gar/69c.html

The garbord strake is obviously named that because it keeps the fish out!

DSK

Nav

DSK wrote:

Scout wrote:

the 'gar' prefix seems important. Looks like the origin is the Dutch
word for "cooked" or "done".
I would think it would be put in place early in the process, so "done"
didn't work for me. But I remember building a small boat when I was a
kid and we steamed or "cooked" the boards to make them pliable.

No no no.... "Gar" is a kind of fish

http://w3.trib.com/~garland/garfish.html

http://www.taxidermy.net/reference/fish/gar/69c.html

The garbord strake is obviously named that because it keeps the fish out!

An idea but I don't think that's likely.

Cheers

Scout

I would have thought a NC guy would have recognized it as a tobacco product!
Scout

"DSK" wrote
No no no.... "Gar" is a kind of fish

Overproof

"Nav" wrote in message

Overproof wrote:

Nav couldn't tell a Garboard Stake from a Sheer strake....

I expected better than this from you. I wonder if it's worth the effort of
getting out the filleting knife again.

Why?... did your neighbor's sheep stray into the yard again?

BTW - speaking as a former fisherman who learned from the old timers and
having owned strake built Cape Islanders... have you ever caulked a seam in
your entire life? If you did.. at what gap size do you switch from oakum to
cotton and what is the correct mix ratios for the putty..... matter of fact
what are the ingredients of proper caulking putty???

CM

Nav

Overproof wrote:

"Nav" wrote in message

Overproof wrote:

Nav couldn't tell a Garboard Stake from a Sheer strake....

I expected better than this from you. I wonder if it's worth the effort of
getting out the filleting knife again.

Why?... did your neighbor's sheep stray into the yard again?

BTW - speaking as a former fisherman who learned from the old timers and
having owned strake built Cape Islanders... have you ever caulked a seam in
your entire life? If you did.. at what gap size do you switch from oakum to
cotton and what is the correct mix ratios for the putty..... matter of fact
what are the ingredients of proper caulking putty???

Sniff. Of course you did.

Cheers

The Real Neal Gilligan ASA 14 November 18th 04 04:01 PM
dog stolen from marina Roy G. Biv ASA 5 October 21st 04 05:30 AM
how to get back on an ocean kayak? andrei Touring 18 December 10th 03 01:36 AM
The Bahamas, Key West and back. LaBomba182 General 1 August 4th 03 01:28 PM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM