andrei

Default how to get back on an ocean kayak?

Hi,

I have a *real* newbie question he I have an ocean kayak, a
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (a sit-on-top), which I use in the
Florida marshes. It is very stable, but should I tip and fall off -
is there a best way to get back on?

I realize, that you might suggest "just try it out" but this would not
be a good idea in the *very* gator-infested waters I paddle on. So
rather than trying it out and spending too much time on trial and
error while in the water (not to mention splashing) I rather pick your
brain for your experience: when I do eventually fall in the water I
would like to get back on top of the kayak real real fast :-)

So - what's the fastest way back up?

Thanks!
Roger Martin

"andrei" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I have a *real* newbie question he I have an ocean kayak, a
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (a sit-on-top), which I use in the
Florida marshes. It is very stable, but should I tip and fall off -
is there a best way to get back on?

I realize, that you might suggest "just try it out" but this would not
be a good idea in the *very* gator-infested waters I paddle on. So
rather than trying it out and spending too much time on trial and
error while in the water (not to mention splashing) I rather pick your
brain for your experience: when I do eventually fall in the water I
would like to get back on top of the kayak real real fast :-)

So - what's the fastest way back up?

Thanks!

With 'gators in the water I'd be able to walk on water!

Up over the back is the usual solo re entry process, push down on the stern,
and pull yourself up onto the rear deck, legs dangling in the water, slide
forward until you are back in your seat, legs in, retrieve paddle, check for
missing body parts!

John Fereira

"Roger Martin" wrote in
:

"andrei" wrote in message
[...]

This would probably go a bit easier if you let your feet come to the surface
and think of swimming onto the kayak as you push down and pull forward on
the stern. Keeping your head low to the deck until you're ready to sit
makes it easier as well.

Ki Ayker

Actually the most common method of getting back onto a SOT is to "swim" your
chest up and over the seat from the side of the boat. Then you simply roll over
so you are seated in the boat side saddled, with both legs hanging off the same
side of the boat. From there it is a very simple matter to twist and throw your
legs back up onto the boat.
Most people are able to easily accomplish this technique with some practice.
However, some people have problems with it. Really overweight folks and people
with poor upper body strength for example. So the key here is to practice
BEFORE you need it, and to continue practicing on a regular basis so that it
becomes second nature and you don't have to think/worry about it. You needn't
practice in the gator infested waters. Find a local swimming hole, or even a
neighbors pool to practice in.
Now I don't paddle in gator water, but I just got back from visiting some
friends in Australia who told me stories of crocodiles coming out of the water
and taking paddlers right off of their SOT's. I was not able to actually verify
the stories (and we all know how them Aussies love to tell stories :-) but I
might rethink the SOT for paddling in gator territory. Then again, I think I'll
just stick with the west coast of North America and let you guys sweat the big
lizards :-))

Scott
So.Cal.
andrei

Up over the back is the usual solo re entry process, push down on the
stern, and pull yourself up onto the rear deck, legs dangling in the
water, slide forward until you are back in your seat, legs in, retrieve
paddle, check for missing body parts!

This would probably go a bit easier if you let your feet come to the surface
and think of swimming onto the kayak as you push down and pull forward on
the stern. Keeping your head low to the deck until you're ready to sit
makes it easier as well.

Gotcha!

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Andrei

andrei

Default gators vs crocs

Now I don't paddle in gator water, but I just got back from visiting some
friends in Australia who told me stories of crocodiles coming out of the water
and taking paddlers right off of their SOT's. I was not able to actually verify
the stories (and we all know how them Aussies love to tell stories :-) but I
might rethink the SOT for paddling in gator territory. Then again, I think I'll
just stick with the west coast of North America and let you guys sweat the big
lizards :-))

Scott
So.Cal.

Hi Scott,

Just a short note on gators. They are *not* crocs and I never heard
of a non-provoked attack on a kayak in Florida even though there are
tens of thousands of kayaks and gators all over the state. Gators are
always around, and to most local kayakers they are really not too much
of a concern. I just happen to be a little more nervous since I moved
here only a year ago and began kayaking only a couple of days ago
(before - I only used canoes). Finally - I can't imagine why a SOT
would be less of a target for an autralian croc than a regular kayak.
When canoeing I passed very close to large gators (once I was about 4
feet away form a 10 foot gator in a narrow passage and all he did was
to slowly dive to the bottom of the creek). The only dangerous gator
I ever saw here was one which had been fed by some morons. He
actually lunged at people (and was later removed by Fish and
Wildlife). I suppose that my worst fear would be to startle a large
gator in a narrow passage and have him wack his tail (they do that
when they are ****ed) and throw me off the kayak. I also hear that
females can be territorial and agressive when their eggs hatch.
Anyway - I just wanted to tell you that in 99% of circumstances
Florida gators are not Australian crocs. The last 1% is what makes me
a little nervous I suppose ;-)

Cheers,

Andrei
Rick

....stuff deleted

Hi Scott,

Just a short note on gators. They are *not* crocs and I never heard
of a non-provoked attack on a kayak in Florida even though there are
tens of thousands of kayaks and gators all over the state.

....more gone

Watching the "Croc. Hunter" on TV with my son, I gathered he feels that
gators are, for want of a better word, tame. Despite their size and obvious
ability to hunt man, they seldom do so (though there was a golfer who
learned that there are limits to their patience - pictures available on the
internet, should you feel so inclined).

Anyway - I just wanted to tell you that in 99% of circumstances
Florida gators are not Australian crocs. The last 1% is what makes me
a little nervous I suppose ;-)

The Aussie crocs (particularly the salt water beasties) are a serious
threat, however. One should probably treat them with the same resect one
would with a polar bear (if you see one, you're too close).

Rick

John

andrei wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I have a *real* newbie question he I have an ocean kayak, a
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (a sit-on-top), which I use in the
Florida marshes. It is very stable, but should I tip and fall off -
is there a best way to get back on?

I realize, that you might suggest "just try it out" but this would not
be a good idea in the *very* gator-infested waters I paddle on. So
rather than trying it out and spending too much time on trial and
error while in the water (not to mention splashing) I rather pick your
brain for your experience: when I do eventually fall in the water I
would like to get back on top of the kayak real real fast :-)

So - what's the fastest way back up?

Thanks!I dunno, but whatever technique that works I would practice, lets say
in
some swimming pool till it became second nature just in case I ended up
upside down countin' gators.

But- thats just me...
john

andrei

Watching the "Croc. Hunter" on TV with my son, I gathered he feels that
gators are, for want of a better word, tame. Despite their size and obvious
ability to hunt man, they seldom do so (though there was a golfer who
learned that there are limits to their patience - pictures available on the
internet, should you feel so inclined).

well, I believe that the famous golfer pictures are actually a scam
and that this is not a gator, but a croc. I am not sure where I read
this, but this is something I read on the net.

The Aussie crocs (particularly the salt water beasties) are a serious
threat, however. One should probably treat them with the same resect one
would with a polar bear (if you see one, you're too close).

Rick

I have some African friends who told me how formidable and dangerous
crocs are. In fact, my high school biology teacher who was making
some photos of cros in Africa was attacked and killed. This is
dramatically different from US gators. But, keep in mind that the
gator is *not* inherently somehow smaller of weaker. I once saw a 14
foot gator lunge at an adult man and it was a very scary sight: hte
guy only survived because the gator tried to challenge and scare him
rather than eat him. Only one small foot or two separated this guys
from some truly huge jaws. So corner or startle a gator and you got
yourself a very good croc substitute.

regards,

Andrei