andrei

Default gators vs crocs

Now I don't paddle in gator water, but I just got back from visiting some
friends in Australia who told me stories of crocodiles coming out of the water
and taking paddlers right off of their SOT's. I was not able to actually verify
the stories (and we all know how them Aussies love to tell stories :-) but I
might rethink the SOT for paddling in gator territory. Then again, I think I'll
just stick with the west coast of North America and let you guys sweat the big
lizards :-))

Scott
So.Cal.

Hi Scott,

Just a short note on gators. They are *not* crocs and I never heard
of a non-provoked attack on a kayak in Florida even though there are
tens of thousands of kayaks and gators all over the state. Gators are
always around, and to most local kayakers they are really not too much
of a concern. I just happen to be a little more nervous since I moved
here only a year ago and began kayaking only a couple of days ago
(before - I only used canoes). Finally - I can't imagine why a SOT
would be less of a target for an autralian croc than a regular kayak.
When canoeing I passed very close to large gators (once I was about 4
feet away form a 10 foot gator in a narrow passage and all he did was
to slowly dive to the bottom of the creek). The only dangerous gator
I ever saw here was one which had been fed by some morons. He
actually lunged at people (and was later removed by Fish and
Wildlife). I suppose that my worst fear would be to startle a large
gator in a narrow passage and have him wack his tail (they do that
when they are ****ed) and throw me off the kayak. I also hear that
females can be territorial and agressive when their eggs hatch.
Anyway - I just wanted to tell you that in 99% of circumstances
Florida gators are not Australian crocs. The last 1% is what makes me
a little nervous I suppose ;-)

Cheers,

Andrei